Port and WiModem232

38 replies to this topic

#26 BeeryMiller OFFLINE  

BeeryMiller

Chopper Commander

• Topic Starter
  • 153 posts

Posted Sat Jan 13, 2018 2:15 PM

Is cosmicdebris using port 23 or port 2323?  Maybe flip your port number to match and retest just to rule that out? 

They are using 2323.

I set my port to 23 on the WiModem232 and called my BBS.  Another abort at 3200 bytes on that one file.

Beery

Edited by BeeryMiller, Sat Jan 13, 2018 2:19 PM.

#27 InsaneMultitasker ONLINE  

InsaneMultitasker

Stargunner

• 1,828 posts

Posted Sat Jan 13, 2018 2:23 PM

They are using 2323.

I set my port to 23 on the WiModem232 and called my BBS.  Another abort at 3200 bytes on that one file.

Beery

Did you set 9640news BBS to port 2323? 

#28 BeeryMiller OFFLINE  

BeeryMiller

Chopper Commander

• Topic Starter
  • 153 posts

Posted Sat Jan 13, 2018 5:21 PM

Did you set 9640news BBS to port 2323? 

In the process of copying the board to a flash drive and then I will copy those files to the other computer.  Then, I can use my router to point to that computer from port 2323 without taking 9640News offline.

Beery

#29 BeeryMiller OFFLINE  

BeeryMiller

Chopper Commander

• Topic Starter
  • 153 posts

Posted Sat Jan 13, 2018 6:12 PM

Port 2323 responds just the same as port 9640.

Beery

Edited by BeeryMiller, Sat Jan 13, 2018 6:12 PM.

#30 JimDrew OFFLINE  

JimDrew

Star Raider

• 98 posts

Posted Sat Jan 13, 2018 6:35 PM

Some clarification on flow control.... the WiModem232 is shipped with RTS/CTS handshaking configured and DTS/DSR tied together.  This is the most common method used by all computers.  When DTR is brought high by the computer, it also is brought high on the DSR side and the computer knows the modem is attached and ready for use.  There is one thing that many people forget about, and that is actually turning on the hardware flow control.  You enabled it with AT&K1.  If you have it set to AT&K0 then it won't matter if you have RTS/CTS jumpered on the board as no flow control will be used.  So, remember to enable hardware flow control if you need it.

#31 InsaneMultitasker ONLINE  

InsaneMultitasker

Stargunner

• 1,828 posts

Posted Sat Jan 13, 2018 7:28 PM

Some clarification on flow control.... the WiModem232 is shipped with RTS/CTS handshaking configured and DTS/DSR tied together.  This is the most common method used by all computers.  When DTR is brought high by the computer, it also is brought high on the DSR side and the computer knows the modem is attached and ready for use.  There is one thing that many people forget about, and that is actually turning on the hardware flow control.  You enabled it with AT&K1.  If you have it set to AT&K0 then it won't matter if you have RTS/CTS jumpered on the board as no flow control will be used.  So, remember to enable hardware flow control if you need it.

Hi Jim, quick question - is there an equivalent setting for the &Dx command?   With &D0 DTR is always assumed high; with &D2, a drop in DTR disconnects the current session and returns to command mode.  My BBS software uses the &D2 mode and a few of the terminal emulators at our disposal do the same, to drop connection without resorting to the "+++" escape sequence.  Also I appreciate your calling attention to &K1, as I found myself using &K3 out of force of habit while trying to set up my system today | :)   I'm close to getting my wimodem232 online.   (Edit: I located the wimodem232 forum and will read through that information as well; I somehow got directed to  lemon64's wimodem topic and got a bit confused in the process. doh!)

Edited by InsaneMultitasker, Sat Jan 13, 2018 7:38 PM.

#32 BeeryMiller OFFLINE  

BeeryMiller

Chopper Commander

• Topic Starter
  • 153 posts

Posted Sat Jan 13, 2018 10:21 PM

Hi Jim, quick question - is there an equivalent setting for the &Dx command?   With &D0 DTR is always assumed high; with &D2, a drop in DTR disconnects the current session and returns to command mode.  My BBS software uses the &D2 mode and a few of the terminal emulators at our disposal do the same, to drop connection without resorting to the "+++" escape sequence.  Also I appreciate your calling attention to &K1, as I found myself using &K3 out of force of habit while trying to set up my system today | :)   I'm close to getting my wimodem232 online.   (Edit: I located the wimodem232 forum and will read through that information as well; I somehow got directed to  lemon64's wimodem topic and got a bit confused in the process. doh!)

I believe I finally found a combination that works with Port and I have been able to download at 38,400.

I have to send an AT&K1 then follow it up with an AT*T1 with the Cable 1 configuration of 1 for Jeff's cable to download from 9640News since it is a Telnet BBS.

MyTerm chokes, but Port seems be ok.

Now, to successfully download from Heatwave at 38,400, I used AT&K1 and had to revert back to AT*T0 instead of AT*T1.  This may be because you disabled Telnet.

Beery

Edited by BeeryMiller, Sat Jan 13, 2018 10:21 PM.

#33 InsaneMultitasker ONLINE  

InsaneMultitasker

Stargunner

• 1,828 posts

Posted Sat Jan 13, 2018 11:49 PM

I believe I finally found a combination that works with Port and I have been able to download at 38,400.

I have to send an AT&K1 then follow it up with an AT*T1 with the Cable 1 configuration of 1 for Jeff's cable to download from 9640News since it is a Telnet BBS.

MyTerm chokes, but Port seems be ok.

Now, to successfully download from Heatwave at 38,400, I used AT&K1 and had to revert back to AT*T0 instead of AT*T1.  This may be because you disabled Telnet.

Beery

Posted Today, 10:25 PM

InsaneMultitasker, on 13 Jan 2018 - 8:53 PM, said:

PS - I took Heatwave offline briefly to test the BBS cable and it allowed me to get online.  In color mode Port's handshaking seemed to work, until I realized I had not turned it on at the modem side, meaning Port 0.60 is using interrupts in Color Ansi mode and is waiting for the transmission to end before displaying anything.

Yeah, I saw some of that with Port in not non-color mode which was a bit more irritating at the lower baud rates wondering if a keypress was accepted when all of a sudden, the screen "popped" up with menu.

Beery

The telnet change makes sense and I believe that is working as expected now.   PORT's file transfers are primarily interrupt driven, so even though you have handshaking enabled, the file transfers may not utilize it at all times.  Michael and I reviewed this a few years ago when he was working on his serial port bridge.

I copied our comment re: color mode from the other thread.   There is a handshaking debounce that was originally tweaked for modem use.  I think what we are seeing is a result of receiving data too quickly (i.e., a PC funneling a whole boatload of data down to 38.4), and the terminal never has a chance to properly pause the stream.  You can fiddle with the settings for handshaking in PORT, I don't know how well tuned the current version will handle. Sadly, if the V9938 had a color text mode in hardware, instead of plotted in software, it wouldn't be so slow.  Ah well.

#34 JimDrew OFFLINE  

JimDrew

Star Raider

• 98 posts

Posted Sat Jan 13, 2018 11:54 PM

I am surprised that AT*T1 works, however, I did make a change recently to the telnet escaping so maybe I fixed the issue we were having with Heatwave when telnet escaping was enabled.

There is AT&Dx supported so it doesn't generate a ERROR response, but this does nothing.  You would have to disable RTS/CTS in order to use DTS/DSR.  They are mutually exclusive, but dropping DTR will not hang up the modem.  I can look into supporting this, but no systems so far require this.  What exact computer are you using?

#35 OLD CS1 OFFLINE  

OLD CS1

River Patroller

• 4,323 posts
  • Technology Samurai

Posted Sun Jan 14, 2018 12:43 AM

Jim,

ISTR several C64 BBSes have the option to drop DTR to hang up, as well (C-Net and Color64 specifically stand out in my memory, whatever my memory is worth these days.)  I did in my own BBS program.  Do you know of anyone running a C64 BBS on the wimodem?

#36 InsaneMultitasker ONLINE  

InsaneMultitasker

Stargunner

• 1,828 posts

Posted Sun Jan 14, 2018 2:24 AM

There is AT&Dx supported so it doesn't generate a ERROR response, but this does nothing.  You would have to disable RTS/CTS in order to use DTS/DSR.  They are mutually exclusive, but dropping DTR will not hang up the modem.  I can look into supporting this, but no systems so far require this.  What exact computer are you using?

I am using the TI-99/4A and its 'big brother' the Geneve. Both systems utilize the same RS232 hardware/cards.

There are a number of TI cable variants, some more compatible than others depending on the needed signals. Here are the pinouts for my BBS software and terminal emulation software.  Both use RTS/CTS and DTR functionality.

RS232 -- Modem Name
1 -- 1 Protective Ground [required]
2 <-- 3 Receive Data  [required]
3 --> 2 Transmit Data [required]
5 --> 4 Request to Send  [emulator only; hardware handshaking,optional]
6 - No connection
7 -- 7 Logical Ground  [required]
8 --> 20 Data Terminal Ready  [emulator only. &D2 required for this functionality,optional]
5 --> 20 Data Terminal Ready  [BBS only]

19 <-- 8 carrier detect [BBS only]

20 <-- 5 Clear to Send    [hardware handshaking,optional]

TI labeled the connector as if it was a DCE (modem), which often makes for a lot of confusion.  There are simpler cables that may be wired for modem connectivity when handshaking and DTR functionality are not desired.

Both programs drop DTR low for a short period of time, which (with option &D2) causes the modem to disconnect and return to the command interface.  DSR does not come into play for in this configuration.  Hopefully this makes sense, and with luck I made no mistakes. :)

#37 JimDrew OFFLINE  

JimDrew

Star Raider

• 98 posts

Posted Sun Jan 14, 2018 6:43 PM

Jim,

ISTR several C64 BBSes have the option to drop DTR to hang up, as well (C-Net and Color64 specifically stand out in my memory, whatever my memory is worth these days.)  I did in my own BBS program.  Do you know of anyone running a C64 BBS on the wimodem?

Yes, there are several people using the WiModem (not the WiModem232) for running a BBS. These people are using BBS software that looks at the DCD line to determine if the modem is connected. There is no DTR on a C64, so you have to use "+++" and ATH to hang up the modem with the C64. This is also used for the Amiga BBS's.

With the WiModem232 you can have either RTS or DTR, or CTS or DSR. There is no way to have RTS/CTS and DTR (or DSR) at the same time. I didn't think this was necessary based on the C64, Amiga, and PC. If this is the case, I could change the hardware but we would lose the LED or the display because there are no extra pins on the CPU. I am almost out of WiMmodem232 boards so I can look at this.

Edited by JimDrew, Sun Jan 14, 2018 7:01 PM.

#38 OLD CS1 OFFLINE  

OLD CS1

River Patroller

• 4,323 posts
  • Technology Samurai

Posted Sun Jan 14, 2018 8:21 PM

Yes, there are several people using the WiModem (not the WiModem232) for running a BBS. These people are using BBS software that looks at the DCD line to determine if the modem is connected. There is no DTR on a C64, so you have to use "+++" and ATH to hang up the modem with the C64. This is also used for the Amiga BBS's.

With the WiModem232 you can have either RTS or DTR, or CTS or DSR. There is no way to have RTS/CTS and DTR (or DSR) at the same time. I didn't think this was necessary based on the C64, Amiga, and PC. If this is the case, I could change the hardware but we would lose the LED or the display because there are no extra pins on the CPU. I am almost out of WiMmodem232 boards so I can look at this.

I have no dog in the race as I only have 5GHz wireless so I cannot make use of these devices, so I have nothing to say ultimately about usage or design.  I just looked back through my dev notes and cross-referenced with the Programmers Reference Guide to make sure: CIA #2 port B bit 2 is labeled as "DTR" and bit 1 as "RTS" which go to the User Port pins E and D, respectively.  But if no one is using it and it has not become a problem no big deal.

#39 InsaneMultitasker ONLINE  

InsaneMultitasker

Stargunner

• 1,828 posts

Posted Yesterday, 1:06 AM

DTR is a nice-to-have feature with limited application outside of BBSs (for me).  Thanks for explaining the challenge with implementing it. 

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users