Old computers for "spare parts" -- therapy thread

13 replies to this topic

#1 OLD CS1 OFFLINE  

OLD CS1

River Patroller

• 4,330 posts
  • Technology Samurai

Posted Fri Jan 12, 2018 5:04 PM

We all do it.  We pick up another console, another computer, another whatever for the sole purpose of having spare parts around.

Some actually do part out a working machine for whatever they need to keep an old one going.  Some swap them out in whole.

Then some are like me.  I have two working Commodore 64 bread-bins sitting here.  I need a keyboard for my C64 Reloaded in a clear Kickstarter case.  I pulled a grubby one from a dead 64, but I have two working units.

Sitting right here.  Seriously.  I can reach out and touch them.  They feel so pretty.

But I just cannot bear to pull them apart... for parts.

Oh, if only this was limited to my Commodores.  Alas, I have the same problem with my Amiga and TI stuff.

I hope I am not alone in this.  Please.  Someone.  Tell me I am not alone.  This is our time for group therapy, our dawn of catharsis; no longer must we suffer alone in silence.

Join me, brothers.

#2 JamesD OFFLINE  

JamesD

Quadrunner

• 7,949 posts

Posted Fri Jan 12, 2018 6:13 PM

I've had the "one of each version" disease until recently.  
Apple II+, IIe, IIgs, IIc Plus, Franklin Ace, Laser 128EX, Apple III
CoCo 1, 2, 3, White CoCo 1, MC-10
Oric 1, Oric Atmos
etc...

The herd is much thinner now....  and it's difficult to pass up selling machines for up to 5 times what I paid for them.

#3 discgolfer72 OFFLINE  

discgolfer72

Star Raider

• 79 posts

Posted Fri Jan 12, 2018 7:33 PM

my problem is i buy a machine for parts then end up fixing it  so have to order a new one for parts  lol its a endless cycle

this goes for consoles  arcade games and now vintage computers    lol i have 3 untested apple IIe's on the way lol for parts

more than likely i will end up with at least 2 working ones lol  

Edited by discgolfer72, Fri Jan 12, 2018 7:37 PM.

#4 eightbit ONLINE  

eightbit

River Patroller

• 2,813 posts

Posted Fri Jan 12, 2018 9:29 PM

I have spare parts all over the place... but it is starting to get overwhelming. I actually started selling off some spare parts just to restore sanity. But yeah, I am guilt as sin as well. 

#5 OLD CS1 OFFLINE  

OLD CS1

River Patroller

• Topic Starter
  • 4,330 posts
  • Technology Samurai

Posted Sat Jan 13, 2018 1:49 PM

See to be a lot of people in denial 'round here! :)

#6 Osgeld OFFLINE  

Osgeld

River Patroller

• 4,612 posts

Posted Sat Jan 13, 2018 5:01 PM

my problem is i buy a machine for parts then end up fixing it  so have to order a new one for parts  lol its a endless cycle

this goes for consoles  arcade games and now vintage computers    lol i have 3 untested apple IIe's on the way lol for parts
more than likely i will end up with at least 2 working ones lol  

Ya same here, I will use this one for parts on it just needs x ill get x meanwhile most of my personal machines she half working junk that really should be the parts machine

Edited by Osgeld, Sat Jan 13, 2018 5:02 PM.

#7 discgolfer72 OFFLINE  

discgolfer72

Star Raider

• 79 posts

Posted Sat Jan 13, 2018 5:13 PM

Ya same here, I will use this one for parts on it just needs x ill get x meanwhile most of my personal machines she half working junk that really should be the parts machine

lol that's how my personal arcade collection is lol

all the stuff that was  headed for parts that "works"  but not clean or nice enough to sell in my shop lol

space invaders dented coin door

mame machine no bezl

golden tee live  small 22 inch led installed 

only thing nice and perfect is my  old playmatic space gambler pinball and I only kept it because I don't want to deal with the costumer when it does break (parts are impossible to find)

#8 BigO OFFLINE  

BigO

River Patroller

• 4,341 posts

Posted Sat Jan 13, 2018 5:13 PM

I never acquire stuff I don't really need.

On a completely unrelated note, would any of you be interested in an HIS IceQX HD 6790 video card?

#9 AMenard OFFLINE  

AMenard

Moonsweeper

• 351 posts

Posted Sat Jan 13, 2018 8:09 PM

I have a busted A1000 that I use as donor for my A500 and A2000. I think I also have one or two C64 breadbin cases with untested keyboards. Don't really know what to do with them. Have a few LCD screen that are gathering dust, a 19" and a 22" both 16:9 that I've replaced with my huion 22" pen display and with a 29" 3840x1080. I also have a laptop that's gathering dust since and my old Dell XPS8700 which is only used as a software repository, download manager for my Amiga.

Those are the parts I could get rid off.

I also have a great accumulation of electronics components and parts.

But I really want to concentrate on the A2000, A500 and the TI99/4a now. I'm almost done hardware wise with a ram expansion being traded for, a IDE4Zorro on the way, a mouse and KS3.1 also on the way. I'm watching for an IDE CD-R on eBay.

Oh, who am I kidding... I'll never stop. Hunting parts and systems is part of this hobby that I love!

#10 OLD CS1 OFFLINE  

OLD CS1

River Patroller

• Topic Starter
  • 4,330 posts
  • Technology Samurai

Posted Sat Jan 13, 2018 9:22 PM

But I really want to concentrate on the A2000, A500 and the TI99/4a now. I'm almost done hardware wise with a ram expansion being traded for, a IDE4Zorro on the way, a mouse and KS3.1 also on the way. I'm watching for an IDE CD-R on eBay.

I have a metric shyt-tonne of IDE CD drives.  PM me.  You sure you do not want an IDE CD-RW?  Got those, too.

#11 Keatah OFFLINE  

Keatah

Quadrunner

• 19,193 posts

Posted Mon Jan 15, 2018 9:04 PM

I kind of did in the past. My current collection is like:

1- Apple II (a couple of models).

2- Ti-59 calculator, TRS-80 Pocket Computers 1, 2, and 4.

3- Classic 486 DX/2-50 & Pentium III @ 1.4GHz.

Neat and manageable. I acquired some junker units as parts doners. I broke them down into their basic components to have a supply of ready spares to support my official collection. I have things like screws, fittings, belts for the Disk II, custom chips, rollers, cable ends, connectors, screws, sockets, some hybrid-looking parts, miscellaneous things like that. And in some cases a duplicate, working, but cosmetically fucked-up entire unit.

At one time I was doing this for all my consoles and arcade cabs and other computers. It got to be seriously overwhelming, so I said fuck-it and out it went. It became impossible to enjoy what I did have!

#12 eightbit ONLINE  

eightbit

River Patroller

• 2,813 posts

Posted Yesterday, 10:38 PM

I have a metric shyt-tonne of IDE CD drives.  PM me.  You sure you do not want an IDE CD-RW?  Got those, too.

Me too. And for some reason every time I find a boxed new one I pick it up anyway. I picked up two brand new unused boxed IDE CD RW drives (one from Goodwill, one from the Salvation Army) last week for a buck each. I couldn't imagine going to ebay for something like that ;)

#13 Osgeld OFFLINE  

Osgeld

River Patroller

• 4,612 posts

Posted Yesterday, 10:52 PM

ok here's my deal

I purged all IDE optical drives, YAY finally done

then I get a deal on a original xbox, which needs PC mod tools, which need to be setup via a linux utility that is pretty much a custom bare bones distro of debian

that has no problem booting off of anything, but then the dickheads point all its scripts directly to a specific file .... WHICH ONLY WORKS ON A IDE DRIVE PORT 1 SLAVE

AHHHHHHHHHAHRHAHHRHARHAHRHAHGH!

so yea as soon as I get them all gone I get a xbox to pimp out and Im in a frantic hunt for a stupid IDE CD / DVD drive 

#14 OLD CS1 OFFLINE  

OLD CS1

River Patroller

• Topic Starter
  • 4,330 posts
  • Technology Samurai

Posted Today, 1:42 AM

To make matter worse, I just uncovered where I had stashed my original C64C and C128.  The 64C is in fantastic condition.  The 128 not so much, but it also did not come to me in the best shape to start but I also heavily modified it and it has also yellowed badly.

I am actually pretty proud now to have located all of my originals: TI-99/4A, Commodore 64 bread-bin (though it has been parted out after failing,) Commodore 64C, Commodore 128, and Amiga 500 (just the case and keyboard, since the motherboard has been replaced numerous times.)  Pretty cool, really -- something I can display and show off or maybe hand down.

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users