IGNORED

Installed my first external SCSI CD-ROM drive today

eightbit

I know...a lot of firsts. I couldn't afford a SCSI card back in the day let alone an expensive CD-ROM drive, but I can now ;) I received a new old stock SCSI external drive today, set the SCSI ID, connected it to my GVP card and installed this:

http://aminet.net/package/disk/cdrom/AmiCDROM-1.15

And amazingly it worked right away! This is very cool now as previously to get anything larger than the size of a floppy onto the internal microSD card I would have to open the machine (I am working with an A2000), take the card out and add what I wanted in emulation. Now I can simply burn whatever crap I want to get to the Amiga and bring it right over. Fantastic!

I know I could have went internal (and I still can as this SCSI drive is just a SCSI casing with an internal drive inside) but there is something so cool to me about the big bulkiness of the external beast. These things rock.

Edited by eightbit
  • Like 4

Awesome.

I had an internal drive connected to my GVP but sitting out externally and powered by a different PSU before I got my Vampire.
Wasn't planning on installing a CD-ROM in my Tower MOD, didn't really see the need since I can transfer over ethernet BUT, someone on facebook shared their CD-ROM and CF-Card setup on the Vampire.

So I ordered one of these: https://sordan.ie/product/507/angle-ide-44-pin-adapter-for-ide-sd-adapters--40-pin-for-cd-rom/

Once it gets here, I'll be installing an IDE DVD/CD-ROM. I hear there's some way to run CD32 games on an Amiga. I think via some 68k emulation.

I bought a new old stock external drive off ebay a couple of months ago, it didnt work and when I picked it up a small plastic gear fell out. I think the drives metal case was formed around the plastic shell so it is not easy to access the insides. I hate stuff that is hard to open.

I purchased this (which was brand new and super cheap):

https://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-Vintage-CSC-4101-External-CD-Rom-Drive-SCSI-Interface-W-cable/182990897376?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2060353.m2763.l2649

Of course I had to purchase a different SCSI centronics cable, (https://www.ebay.com/itm/SCSI-Cable-DB25-Male-to-C50-Male-6-Foot-SCSI-1-to-SCSI-2-Cable/272878234149?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649) but this drive was so worth it! Works great with the Amiga and I even played a few audio CD's in Amiga Workbench today using BCDPlay (from AmiNET). Highly recommended! I purchased a second one ;)

Edited by eightbit

Thanks, I noticed that one says pickup only now, but I did find an internal drive for $15.99 buy it now.

I went ahead and bought the internal drive and will put it in my external enclosure, it has a 30 D.O.A. Guarantee which my last one did not.

Last time I looked I could get a box of 10 brand new drives for $55, wouldnt know what to do with the extras, all the other listings were crazy high that day.

I am not keen on amiga stuff, they are always out of my price range, but in the 68k mac world its semi popular to use scsi zip and jazz drives with their usb/ide counterparts on the PC

since your setup fer scsi it might be something to look into

Its funny you say that as I have a new parallel port zip drive in the closet that I can use with my PIII 750....I just haven't seen a use for it yet. If I can get ahold of a SCSI zip drive it'll make moving stuff around pretty easy. Thanks for the insight!

I love my SCSI stuff. I have the Indivision DVI cable hanging out of the back of my 1200 because the back-door is taken up by the 1230 SCSI port. CD-ROMs, DVD drives, Zip Drives... the lot of them are exceptionally useful sans USB.

I still have my SCSI Zip Drives. I need to do an inventory because I have quite a few ATAPI and a couple of external SCSI (including my beloved Zip-Plus parallel and SCSI all-in-one.) I used to have an internal SCSI I used on my 4000D until I went USB and now use a USB 250.

I have to be careful with my USB usage. For some reason my Deneb tends to drop USB devices when doing a lot of data transfer, but that is a whole other thread once I get to the point I can troubleshoot. I like my Deneb but were it not for the flash ROM and being able to pre-load modules I would switch completely to my X-Surf 100 with RapidRoad.

• Like 1

I like SCSI also. Pre-Vampire I had SCSI HDD, SCSI CD-Rom and 2x SCSI ZIP drives. On my windows 98 machine I have an IDE ZIP drive and on my Windows 10 machine I put another IDE zip drive into a USB enclosure. Yep, works. I also have a parallel port ZIP but never got the adaptor for the Amiga in order to be able to use it. Post Vampire, my SCSI board doesn't work (DMA conflicts). so all my SCSI stuff is sitting in my Amiga stuff box. I also don't really miss it much with TCP/IP on the old Miggy. I'm just planning to add an IDE DVD/CD-rom burner because I can. Or at least I can try. :)

I may even add the Parallel ZIP if i can find or make the needed adaptor. Just, because.....

And, what an ass:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Commodore-Amiga-external-CD-ROM-SCSI-drive-cd-rom-asim-cdfs-disk-included-cdrom/152884484345?hash=item2398a018f9:g:YPkAAOSwtBdabh9L

I really hope my post didn't spark this guy to do this. Obviously purchased them from the original seller for $20 a pop, popped Commodore stickers on them and is selling them for $125 a pop. Geez...

On the up-side that looks like a real DD disk AND he includes a power cable which the original did not, AND the original shows an high-dense 50-pin SCSI connector where this guy shows a DB-25.

It is possible while the original seller still has seven remaining. This guy might have bought 10 of them and re-done them for Amiga. It might be lighting or a variation in product, but his look darker than the originals. The buyers on the original auction are anonymized otherwise you might be able to cross-reference to the seller (which you can if you understand the algorithm used to hide the user names, which apparently some people do.)

I have seen those cables go for $50 before, but this fella has them for $11 each eBay Auction -- Item Number: 2713786293651?ff3=2&pub=5574883395&toolid=10001&campid=5336500554&customid=&item=271378629365&mpt=[CACHEBUSTER]

Yeah, it could be a little Amiga-profiteering. $35 a pop for the drives, $10 each for the cables, the IEC power cables go for $10 retail but I figure you could get them for a couple of bucks on eBay, include AsimCDFS on a real DD floppy... were it me I would push all that for around $75 (with best offer) each having put everything together as a turn-key Amiga CD kit. Hell, I might just to under-cut the guy, especially since he also does not have a "best offer" available! :)

A while back I bought five MacMinis then had to buy power supplies for them, tested the hard drives, installed MorphOS, sold a few on Amiga.org for a light mark-up (which really didn't cover my time,) then shifted the rest through eBay for a nicer profit, still keeping them well under going price. Might be why I am not rich. heheheheh

As for the SCSI cables, I purchased these:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/SCSI-Cable-DB25-Male-to-C50-Male-6-Foot-SCSI-1-to-SCSI-2-Cable/272878234149?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

I purchased the first one and it was new in a really yellowed old clamshell package, 6FT as advertised. I purchased a second one and it arrived (again new) in an old sealed bag...but only 3FT. I contacted the seller and he apologized and refunded me (and let me keep the cable). So I guess I am lucky to get one 6FT cable at least. They are extremely good vintage quality.

Edited by eightbit

According to this post in this Amiga.org thread from last year:

AsimCDFS is a commercial product. Unfortunately you cannot buy it any more.
CacheCDFS is a commercial product. You get it if you buy either OS 3.5, OS 3.9 or IDE-fix (a.k.a. IDE-max).
AllegroCDFS is a commercial product. You get it if you buy a matching hardware from Elbox, but it needs this hardware as a dongle, otherwise it does not run.
AmiCDFS is shareware, but I think the author no longer cares.

There is also BabelCDFS, but it's targeted more towards WB 1.3.

So if you can't buy it how do you get it by other means than pirating? :) It looks like the only freeware way is by using AmiCDROM...which is fine by me as it works perfectly :)

Good question. If it is really so good, I am surprised A-Eon has not snatched it up for commercial rebirth.

• 1 month later...

So, to bring back this topic I recently was gifted a Plextor internal SCSI drive with a nice long 50 pin multi-device cable and decided to get a drive installed internally into the Amiga 2000. But unfortunately the Plextor drive had seen its day and could barely read discs. I got one disc to read for a few seconds and then it died :(

But I figured since I had the cable I would dismantle the external drive and install it internally. I was pretty surprised to find that this drive (the one I purchased from ebay in the above posts) is actually a half height drive. The other half to make it look like a full height drive was actually just a piece of black metal glued to the casing.

Well, I installed it anyway as it is new and works awesomely...and it indeed works equally as awesomely connected internally to the GVP card. But, its half height leaving a big gap in the front of my Amiga 2000. I couldn't have that so I manufactured a filler that is the color of the Amiga 2000. So now it looks like a black slimline drive in the unit. Looks pretty cool (to me at least). I will post pics soon!

Edited by eightbit
  • Like 2