IGNORED

Took a chance on a Performa 475

eightbit

I installed 7.6 on this one. I think anything more might bog the CPU down. With 7.6 it is really speedy.

And I did break my promise to myself and added a new (dated 4/17...so as new as I could find) SAFT battery to it just because flipping the power on and off multiple times and not having it save resolution settings gets quite old ;)

Edited by eightbit

too late now but you can fudge a pram battery with a pair of 1.5 volt cells in series (like AAA's or AA's or D cells lol) I do this often with machines I am actively using, I would not however leave them in if I was going to put the system away for storage

in some way's life was simpler with a radio shack around, yea a 2x AAA holder might cost you 3 bucks but you could grab one on the way home from work, pop out the screwball 3.x volt battery and solder a couple wires to the bottom of the board ... now its just as easy to get the correct battery

Edited by Osgeld
  • Like 1

Yea, I've forgotten to take the batteries out a couple of times. Luckily the later batteries seem to made a little better.

The maxcell red label 3.6v batteries are system killers. I don't think those have been made for 15-20 years - thankfully.

Last time I bought this batteries was in a set of 10. That was 10 years ago and they still read 3.6v.

Saft, XENO and one that was purple and green seems to be good quality.

This guy has a really good video on mac pram batteries:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7a0Xnt8_HTY

Skip to around 27min some shots of board damage.

More good luck with the Mac tonight! Some time ago Osgeld was nice enough to shoot over some files that are supposed to allow almost any SCSI CD-ROM drive to work and I got around to trying it tonight. It works!! So, that $20 off brand SCSI drive I purchased on ebay a few weeks ago is now fully functional on the Mac. This was easier than I was led to believe. Simply dragged and dropped an extension to the extensions folder, ran the accompanying app to set the drive up (it was recognized immediately) and rebooted. Tested some audio cd's as well as a Win98 install CD. Everything reads perfectly. Just a public thank you to Osgeld for saving me a lot of money in hunting down an official Apple drive. You have my gratitude kind Sir.

• Like 1