IGNORED

what is MAME?

rickb20

Multi

Arcade

Machine

Emulator (Or emulation?)

a long running and very old yet always new program that emulates

an absolutely ABSURD number of arcade games. check www.retrogames.com for the latest or mame.net mame.de or mame.dk if memory severs....

Multiple Arcade Machine Emulator...and it means just what it says. It allows you to actually play THE quarter-munching arcade games right on your computer (copies of the arcade game programs). They function identical or nearly identical to how they behaved in "the reol thang".

Talking about MAME, does anyone know what "screen-tilt" means?

Lots of the Games say no screen tilt. And I just cant figure out what it means?

Games such as Power Drift as No screen tilt. Althought Power Drift is emulated using Final Burn not MAME.

:| ?

Screen flipping? (rotating the screen 180º for player 2 when the game is in a cocktail cabinet, for example)

Power Drift used to be one of them there video games that had stuff mounted on hydraulics, so I'm guessing it had something to do with that.

Possibly...but it was the "lots of the games" part that threw me.  I was guessing that this was due to some games not being released in cocktail cabs (so the original hardware had no way of flipping the screen) :?

Oh, that could be too...

A cocktail cabinet is like a small table...with the screen below the glass surface and the players usually seated on opposite sides (so the game image needs to flip when alternating players' take their turns). Since this screen flipping is really only needed for games that actually DID appear in this style of cabinet, I would guess the only games in Mame that support it are the ones that were.

A cocktail cabinet is like a small table...with the screen below the glass surface and the players usually seated on opposite sides (so the game image needs to flip when alternating players' take their turns).  Since this screen flipping is really only needed for games that actually DID appear in this style of cabinet, I would guess the only games in Mame that support it are the ones that were.

Oh i see the flat-table Arcade Machine so player 2 wont have to play it upside down, the screen will flip.

Not much point of that on an emulator then since playing my games on and upright monitor. :D

:lolblue:

Anyway the game I was talking about with "No tilt" was POWER DRIFT.

In Finalburn it says : Glitchies, No Tilt.

:?

Power Drift couldnt be played on a flat-table (or cocktail).

At Least I now know what Screen-Flipping means. :D

Mame stands for

M ultiple

A rcade

M achine

E mulator

Essentially this is a program that allows a PC or MAC to emulate various hardware boards that were located inside arcade cabinets. By having the software and a ROM image from the arcade machine, you can mimic actually playing the machine without needing to use quarters.

Please note however that you are only allowed to have the ROM image on your computer if you have the actual arcade machine.

Have fun :)

MAME is not as the old real ones though.

Maybe playing them sitting down at your keyboard on an upright monitor was they werent designed to be played as.

And games like After Burner, They will never be able to emulate the moving realistic Cockpits! :D

And games like After Burner,  They will never be able to emulate the moving realistic Cockpits!     :D

Right. And take even a supposedly "simple" game like the original Space Invaders.. you can never emulate the mirrored translucent playfield floating over the lit cardboard background, and the echoey bass reverberating through the wood cabinet. :D I know know it should be obvious, but especially for younger players who've never seen the real thing, it's important to note how Mame, awesome as it is, often times understandably can't match the real deal :P

sid_playfield.jpg

And games like After Burner,  They will never be able to emulate the moving realistic Cockpits!     :D

Right. And take even a supposedly "simple" game like the original Space Invaders.. you can never emulate the mirrored translucent playfield floating over the lit cardboard background, and the echoey bass reverberating through the wood cabinet. :D I know know it should be obvious, but especially for younger players who've never seen the real thing, it's important to note how Mame, awesome as it is, often times understandably can't match the real deal :P

sid_playfield.jpg

Wow! Cool!.. No wonder y we use to play money to play these!

Its beats my 2 MAME versions.

post-2969-1055324884.png

post-2969-1055324885_thumb.png

• 1 month later...

MAME as good as it is also doesnt have a GUI(Graphic User Interface, these use windows and menus and icons and a mouse instead of command lines, like Windows 3.1 did with DOS) so id suggest downloading MAME 32 off Zophar's Domain or Emu Unlimated . its basically MAME with a GUI. im pretty sure its the same base program with all the same features i cant be 100% as i never bothered d/ling MAME because i found this first and it worked magnificantly. oh and to configure the controls and such press tab in game (it took me a while to figure this out and it made life much, much better/easier)

Getting back to the original question...if you're Spanish, MAME means "suck."

I found this out in a rather funny way. I was looking for a site to download ROMs from and found this Spanish site. Google offered to translate it and when I did, everywhere MAME was supposed to appear, the word "suck" appeared instead. It was pretty hilarious downloading "suck ROMS" as the site called them.

Steve

A cocktail cabinet is like a small table...with the screen below the glass surface and the players usually seated on opposite sides (so the game image needs to flip when alternating players' take their turns).  Since this screen flipping is really only needed for games that actually DID appear in this style of cabinet, I would guess the only games in Mame that support it are the ones that were.

Here's an example of a cocktail table.

(Room 34 chimes in late, just as an opportunity to show off his Asteroids cocktail table.)

Room 34's Asteroids Cocktail Table

What a beauty :)

Thanks!

Sadly, its companion, the Taxi pinball, is no longer in my possession. But I got more for it than I paid (minus the shipping charges), so I can't complain!

I'd really like to have a Dig Dug or Donkey Kong machine to accompany it, but right now it's on its own as representative of the arcade world in my game room, which is dominated, of course, by Atari 2600 cartridges!