Telnet BBSing on the Model 4

bbsing trs-80 model 4 telnet

24 replies to this topic

#1 Paradroyd OFFLINE  

Paradroyd

Space Invader

• 40 posts

Posted Sat Jan 20, 2018 10:38 PM

The Model 4 is great for modern telnet BBSing...

Attached File  20161125_201046.jpg   781.12KB   3 downloads

Attached File  IMG_0008(2).JPG   1.14MB   2 downloads

Attached File  IMG_0006(3).JPG   1.12MB   2 downloads

Attached File  IMG_0005(7).JPG   1.05MB   2 downloads

Are there any telnet accessible BBSs out there that actually run on Z80-based TRS-80s these days?

Attached Files

#2 Turbo-Torch OFFLINE  

Turbo-Torch

Dragonstomper

• 794 posts

Posted Sun Jan 21, 2018 1:09 PM

That's cool.  How are you going about doing it?

I'm still using dial up with my 1200 baud modem.

#3 polyex OFFLINE  

polyex

Chopper Commander

• 191 posts

Posted Sun Feb 4, 2018 3:14 AM

Anyone have a link to buy a serial cable that attaches to the bottom of the model 4?

#4 sm3 OFFLINE  

sm3

Dragonstomper

• 635 posts

Posted Sun Feb 4, 2018 11:44 AM

I'm sure there are other solutions, but these are available:

You can use a wifimodem232 https://www.cbmstuff...=WiModem232OLED

Or maybe a M3SE http://bartlettlabs....M3SE/index.html

Of course the wifimodem232 is the cheaper option, you just need a serial cable and wifi at home.

#5 polyex OFFLINE  

polyex

Chopper Commander

• 191 posts

Posted Sun Feb 4, 2018 8:55 PM

I bought mine from CBM stuff, but still need the cable

Edited by polyex, Sun Feb 4, 2018 8:56 PM.

#6 sm3 OFFLINE  

sm3

Dragonstomper

• 635 posts

Posted Mon Feb 5, 2018 8:15 AM

I bought mine from CBM stuff, but still need the cable

Full disclosure, I only use my Model 1 with the wifimodem232 and have never used it with my Model 4. I believe all you need though is a DB25 male to male flat ribbon serial cable. 

Some folks use this https://www.amazon.c...uct/B00ATV2DX2/ but I don't have any experience myself with it.

#7 --- Ω --- OFFLINE  

--- Ω ---

Hexacorerunner

• 13,644 posts

Posted Mon Feb 5, 2018 7:56 PM

The Model 4 is great for modern telnet BBSing...

I notice you are using a diskless TRS-80... are you using FreHD?

#8 Paradroyd OFFLINE  

Paradroyd

Space Invader

• Topic Starter
  • 40 posts

Posted Mon Feb 5, 2018 9:03 PM

I'm using the ANSI capable telnet client bundled with the M3SE. The M3SE has an Ethernet interface and comes with a full TCP/IP stack. Not cheap, but more than worth it for me for what it does.

#9 Paradroyd OFFLINE  

Paradroyd

Space Invader

• Topic Starter
  • 40 posts

Posted Mon Feb 5, 2018 9:12 PM

I notice you are using a diskless TRS-80... are you using FreHD?

M3SE, actually. This model 4 doesn't even have the floppy controller or serial port. It was originally the very low-end 16K model that someone upgraded to 64K. I found it in a electronics shop near here with a $30 price tag on it. Needed a bit of cleanup, but other than that it was in great shape. Lots more pics of it (inside & out) here.

#10 sm3 OFFLINE  

sm3

Dragonstomper

• 635 posts

Posted Tue Feb 6, 2018 8:58 AM

M3SE, actually. This model 4 doesn't even have the floppy controller or serial port. It was originally the very low-end 16K model that someone upgraded to 64K. I found it in a electronics shop near here with a $30 price tag on it. Needed a bit of cleanup, but other than that it was in great shape. Lots more pics of it (inside & out) here.

http://bartlettlabs.com/makes a good product! I'm considering getting one of these for my Model 4, although right now I'm using a FredHD with it. I have the MISE and MIRE for my Model 1 and can't praise them enough! But they do cost a bit.

If you are really into the TRS-80 then I would say go for it.

#11 polyex OFFLINE  

polyex

Chopper Commander

• 191 posts

Posted Wed Feb 7, 2018 5:11 AM

I believe all you need though is a DB25 male to male flat ribbon serial cable. 

Ended up ordering a $6.00 one shipped from Hong Kong, will take up to a month to arrive. Only USA seller I could find wanted nearly $50.00 for the same 2 foot cable. If anyone knows of a more reasonable USA seller please let me know.

#12 sm3 OFFLINE  

sm3

Dragonstomper

• 635 posts

Posted Wed Feb 7, 2018 8:26 AM

Ended up ordering a $6.00 one shipped from Hong Kong, will take up to a month to arrive. Only USA seller I could find wanted nearly $50.00 for the same 2 foot cable. If anyone knows of a more reasonable USA seller please let me know.

There is always that guy in Australia, Ian Mavric, but his website has been down for a while now. I'm sure he could make one for you, he is not always known for cheap (as in cost) items either ;) What you get will work though as intended.

If you want a case for your wifi232 I can recommend: http://corei64.com/store/ I have one for my wifi232 with OLED and it fits great.

He uses those heat-set brass inserts so it closes up securely. Even supplies a little wrench to tighten it up.

It will come from Canada, so will be a week or so until it arrives. It was packed well inside a big box, and made it through the gauntlet that is USPS ;)

#13 --- Ω --- OFFLINE  

--- Ω ---

Hexacorerunner

• 13,644 posts

Posted Wed Feb 7, 2018 9:28 AM

Lots more pics of it (inside & out) here.

Thanks for sharing those photos.  It was a walk down memory lane for me as it's been YEARS since I owned or opened up a TRS-80.

#14 polyex OFFLINE  

polyex

Chopper Commander

• 191 posts

Posted Wed Feb 7, 2018 3:44 PM

There is always that guy in Australia, Ian Mavric, but his website has been down for a while now. I'm sure he could make one for you, he is not always known for cheap (as in cost) items either ;) What you get will work though as intended.

If you want a case for your wifi232 I can recommend: http://corei64.com/store/ I have one for my wifi232 with OLED and it fits great.

He uses those heat-set brass inserts so it closes up securely. Even supplies a little wrench to tighten it up.

It will come from Canada, so will be a week or so until it arrives. It was packed well inside a big box, and made it through the gauntlet that is USPS ;)

Thanks for the heads up on the case. I checked the site and the $15.95 case costs $16.95 to ship!

#15 sm3 OFFLINE  

sm3

Dragonstomper

• 635 posts

Posted Wed Feb 7, 2018 4:57 PM

Thanks for the heads up on the case. I checked the site and the $15.95 case costs $16.95 to ship!

Yeah, but it came in a box much larger than needed and packed well to keep USPS from smashing it. I was worried since it was so small it would be crushed by the time it arrived.

#16 polyex OFFLINE  

polyex

Chopper Commander

• 191 posts

Posted Thu Feb 8, 2018 2:28 PM

I ended up ordering two as the shipping was the same

#17 Paradroyd OFFLINE  

Paradroyd

Space Invader

• Topic Starter
  • 40 posts

Posted Thu Feb 8, 2018 9:44 PM

Thanks for sharing those photos.  It was a walk down memory lane for me as it's been YEARS since I owned or opened up a TRS-80.

Here are a few more. A few months later I added one of Ian Maverick's HiRes Graphyx boards. Here's the board installed with a few pics of it being used via TRS-Pic.

#18 sm3 OFFLINE  

sm3

Dragonstomper

• 635 posts

Posted Fri Feb 9, 2018 8:07 AM

Here are a few more. A few months later I added one of Ian Maverick's HiRes Graphyx boards. Here's the board installed with a few pics of it being used via TRS-Pic.

That is cool! I want to get one of these but have been settling for using it in the TRS32 emulator for now ;) It's on my list though!

#19 sm3 OFFLINE  

sm3

Dragonstomper

• 635 posts

Posted Fri Feb 9, 2018 8:08 AM

I ended up ordering two as the shipping was the same

Oh nice, did you get the one with the OLED screen? 

#20 polyex OFFLINE  

polyex

Chopper Commander

• 191 posts

Posted Fri Feb 9, 2018 9:12 AM

Oh nice, did you get the one with the OLED screen? 

Yes. I have a TRS-80 Model IV and a Ti99 both will be using the one with an OLED.

#21 sm3 OFFLINE  

sm3

Dragonstomper

• 635 posts

Posted Fri Feb 9, 2018 9:51 AM

Yes. I have a TRS-80 Model IV and a Ti99 both will be using the one with an OLED.

Sounds good. I should have paid for two cases myself. I want to get a WiModem (non-232) version for my Commodore 64.

#22 --- Ω --- OFFLINE  

--- Ω ---

Hexacorerunner

• 13,644 posts

Posted Sun Feb 11, 2018 7:45 PM

Oh you guys are dangerous!  I'm so sitting on the fence right now, but space and practicality issues are holding me back.

BTW - If you don't mind me asking, how much of an investment (ON AVERAGE) do you think a Mod IV in great condition would cost with a hires board and a M3SE?

#23 sm3 OFFLINE  

sm3

Dragonstomper

• 635 posts

Posted Mon Feb 12, 2018 7:43 AM

Oh you guys are dangerous!  I'm so sitting on the fence right now, but space and practicality issues are holding me back.

BTW - If you don't mind me asking, how much of an investment (ON AVERAGE) do you think a Mod IV in great condition would cost with a hires board and a M3SE?

Are we talking a Model 4 with drives or without? On eBay you could get one with drives for $200 to $300 or so, plus shipping.

As far as the M3SE, you can get one for $275 if you go direct through the website: http://bartlettlabs....SE/pricing.html or $300 if you go through eBay.

The graphics board Ian Mavric sells is $99 on eBay but he does list "or best offer"  so I'm sure there is some wiggle room there if you want to try. Maybe you can get a discount by emailing him directly as well.

You might also want to get one of the auto-boot EPROMs he has available (bartlettlabs.com) if you get a M3SE. They are $15 for a non-gate array and $20 for a gate array model. I'm using one currently with a FreHD on my Model 4.

#24 --- Ω --- OFFLINE  

--- Ω ---

Hexacorerunner

• 13,644 posts

Posted Tue Feb 13, 2018 7:36 AM

Thanks for the info in the above message.  I've saved the above message link in my favorites.  I have a few things to consider now.   :)  :thumbsup: 

#25 polyex OFFLINE  

polyex

Chopper Commander

• 191 posts

Posted Fri Feb 16, 2018 1:18 PM

I have a graphics board from Ian and it is great, highly recommend. You can show "hi-res" pics on your TRS-80!

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: bbsing, trs-80, model 4, telnet

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users