IGNORED

One mini - game per week!

Matej

I want to improve my pixelart and chipmusic skills.Is here any coder who wants get better in coding (assembler, madpascal, action)?

My plan is to make 1x mini-game per week (thats 52 per year).Mini games means 8kb, 16kb games... Simple like pong, snakes, arkanoid...

First project will be RAPID ROLL nokia mobile cult game.

I will use:

Atari Studio (Madteam)

MatoSimi font & map maker

FAN (Satantronic)

Mikro sprite maker

RMTTracker (Raster)

I will write more during evening...

Next year I will do 6-10 super cool games per year thats my plan...

Also next year can be VBXE stuff too (hope I will upgrade my Atari soon).

Edited by Matej
  • Like 8

I want to improve my pixelart and chipmusic skills.Is here any coder who wants get better in coding (assembler, madpascal, action)?

My plan is to make 1x mini-game per week (thats 52 per year).Mini games means 8kb, 16kb games... Simple like pong, snakes, arkanoid....

I don't think that arkanoid is in the same league of complexity as pong, snakes or downfall, from the coding perspective. You've got powerups that introduce dozens of codepaths (through various combinations of nested if/else) that are not instantly testable and there will always be cases of bugs introduced via typos, and especially via eventual feature creep (when a new feature violates the rules set forth at the beginning of the project).

You need to experiment with various ways of coding the line/angle computation (integer, fixed-point, which tables need to be computed , ...), as otherwise you risk that the first version will be very suboptimal (from performance perspective).

While I agree that it's quick and easy enough to create the art for those games in one's free time, within a week, I don't think you can realistically expect a coder to deliver the same, as the amount of work involved is drastically different, not to mention that unlike art, code is not WYSIWYG.

The above is of course assuming a high-level language, like Mad Pascal, where you can see the whole logic at the same time in couple pages. Once you go to ASM ... :lol:

(thats 52 per year)

Is there that many mini-games of pong coding complexity ? I am struggling myself to come up with even a dozen, let alone 5 dozens.

Could you please list at least a dozen of games that you consider a mini game ?

Which language on A800 has the most libraries for the common low-level functionality (PMG, SW sprites, sounds, input, fixed-point, scrolling, ...) ? I am guessing Mad Pascal ?

Most importantly, it should handle doublebuffering, so that a coder doesn't have to spend a minute on performance, and just go with whatever the library will provide (e.g. if it's 50 fps, fine; if it's 5 fps, that has to be fine too).

As long as this does not mean yet another 52 versions of Boulder Dash and Robbo, I am fine with that idea.

Since there are already dozens of clones of Pong, Breakout, Pacman, Asteroids, Centipede, Berzerk, Boulder Dash, Tetris, Robbo, Snake, Tron, Duel, etc. it would be much nicer if you would avoid these game-types and code something different, but "something" (e.g. a game-clone in form of a mini-game) is always better than "nothing"...

Hmmm, a mini-game for me would be a game with less than 4kbytes. Others may say it has to be 1kbyte or less. And the RENO and Nomam guys say it has to be ten lines of code or less...

Edited by CharlieChaplin
  • Like 4

Well I mean breakout not Arkanoid.

Yes we dont need another clones of clones that already are on A800... So I will choose games unique, original... As Rapid Ball...

Mad Pascal, Action, Assembler, Turbo Basic, Kyan C... What ever you wants...

Mini game:

- one screen

- no levels

- only time out or faster scrolling (pseudo-level)

- 4kb to 16kb max.

- 1 or 2 players

- 1 font tile set/spritesheet

- 1x song or 8 sound fx max.

- 1x title screen (start picture)

On university I had roomate who coded firewall in 4 hours for XP (was better than Microsoft build in). So I know that there are some semi-god coders out there... Superfast.Coding is fun for them.

Edited by Matej

OK graphics finished.Will upload it at evening (fnt file format - atari font maker by matosimi).Now title picture and music.So since monday any coder will be able to code it.Also there will be 2 balls red - normal ball, blue - steel ball (you will not die for 60 seconds).Like big Mario.

• 2 weeks later...

Well I have no coder yet (or coders) so I was little bit demotivated but today I tell to myself "I will do graphics and music and maybe someone going to code games in near future".

So my challange continues. Here is few minutes of my early morning pixelarting...

4017voxdojo58n0k1a2p.png

I have decided to make 2x player game. It will be more fun. I loved such games as kid playing with my friends or cousin.

So I will finish graphics / mono music / simple picture this Friday 9.feb.2018...

Next monday I will start doing next game.

During weekend I will put here my github link also dropbox mirror...

• Like 2

Well I have no coder yet (or coders) so I was little bit demotivated but today I tell to myself "I will do graphics and music and maybe someone going to code games in near future".

So my challange continues. Here is few minutes of my early morning pixelarting...

Well, it will be kinda hard to find coder willing to follow you in your crazy plan ;)

Think it'll be best case scenario if you keep pumping out ideas and gfx, and maybe someone likes it and does coding part.. If you get even one game done in next year I would consider it a positive thing :)

• Like 5

So we will have 52 games in next 52 years thats great??? In 2070 there will be atom-3D printers so people will put Playstation 24 into printer and upload Atari 130XE file... And they will play my games! And maybe around 2030-2040 there will be AI coders. So they will find my GitHUB and code all games!

Well, it will be kinda hard to find coder willing to follow you in your crazy plan ;)

Think it'll be best case scenario if you keep pumping out ideas and gfx, and maybe someone likes it and does coding part.. If you get even one game done in next year I would consider it a positive thing :)

What's even more crazy is that even if someone signed up for this lunacy, and coded, say, 51 games in a year, it would still technically be a failure, as the plan was to deliver 52 :)

• Like 1

How about you outline the first (top) 10 game ideas and see if anyone bites? You can sketch some graphics, but perhaps not too detailed before you know it is a go. I think one needs to be a very motivated, perhaps unemployed programmer to churn out one game a week, or they will all be very simple and buggy. Even intentionally crap games in BASIC take their time to be coded, and I'm not sure if that is the level of games you are hoping for.

I would say 1 game per month would be a challenge, though it would allow for each game to have some playability value.

• Like 1

GitHub (just for Atari projects):

https://github.com/matejsk/minigames

DropBox (backup cloud) - #01_Pilko Fali (Ball Fall Down):

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/afua5enq7vaorq4/AABlHRKrGomzjydT1DpFon0Ba?dl=0

I have decided to use ESPERANTO names instead of English. I cant speak esperanto.

Main reason for this is that big corporation already owns names like Ball Fall Down, Asteroids, Breakout, Snakes...

Dont want get emails from Atari :D.

Edited by Matej