Photo

Dragon 32 power supply woes

3 replies to this topic

#1 TheDash OFFLINE  

TheDash

Space Invader

• 34 posts

Posted Thu Jan 25, 2018 3:38 AM

I've given up on getting a replacement psu for the Dragon. Unless anyone can give me a quick pointer right now.

Question - has anyone 'made' a power supply for this odd 8bit voltage consumer? It needs at least 2 inputs of 8.5vAC and 28(!)vAC, at 1.5a and 250ma - pinned in via a 9pin D type or 'Atari joystick' connector. I'm very close now to wiring in as many individual transformers as it takes - and maleesh the condy's**.

Unless anyone has a better idea?

** excuse the Australian Army slang.

#2 MarkO OFFLINE  

MarkO

Dragonstomper

• 912 posts
  • Location:Albany, Oregon, USA, North Western Hemisphere, Planet Tera

Posted Mon Jan 29, 2018 1:59 PM

IIRC, Dragon 32s were only available in the UK..

Have you contacted any of the UK Dragon user about a spare Power Supply or Work Arounds???

There is a Facebook Group and a forum at World of Dragon...

MarkO

#3 Quickie OFFLINE  

Quickie

Combat Commando

• 5 posts

Posted Thu May 17, 2018 8:24 AM

IIRC, Dragon 32s were only available in the UK..

Have you contacted any of the UK Dragon user about a spare Power Supply or Work Arounds???

There is a Facebook Group and a forum at World of Dragon...

MarkO

What a pitty that nowadays some classic computer groups are using Facebook instead a forum. I hate Facebook, but I found it specially annoying for topics or hobbies like retrocomputing.

Anyway, fortunately enough there is a relatively easy way to build a Dragon32 psu detailed on a public website -> http://archive.world...wer_supply_unit

In essence is just wiring a toroidal transformer to the proper DB9 Dragon32 PSU pinout and to 220V.

The problem is that this implies some work (create a box to acommodate the transformer + wiring) and it isn't cheap at all.

Hope having helped.

I'm in the exact same situation and I will finally go for a toroid transformer as my Dragon PSU PT 48290 is giving just 4,5VAC on both SEC I and II :(

Haven't tried yet to open the PSU, but I don't want to break it (it's sealed with some metal clips).

Edited by Quickie, Thu May 17, 2018 8:25 AM.

#4 ColorComputerStore OFFLINE  

ColorComputerStore

Star Raider

• 93 posts

Posted Sat Jun 2, 2018 6:22 PM

Wonder if you can get specs of Tank Dragon and base a new schematic on that.

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users