Photo

Todd Rogers banned from Twin Galaxies and records removed

364 replies to this topic

#351 neotokeo2001 OFFLINE  

neotokeo2001

River Patroller

• 3,792 posts

Posted Sun Feb 11, 2018 8:21 AM

It has been checked. Both cars are running on alternative frames and have their own timing. 

Worth a shot. Thanks.

#352 Jinks ONLINE  

Jinks

River Patroller

• 4,219 posts

Posted Sun Feb 11, 2018 9:53 AM

He will always remind me of the fire blaster.

#353 Kosmic Stardust OFFLINE  

Kosmic Stardust

Princess Rescuer

• 16,112 posts

Posted Sun Feb 11, 2018 12:08 PM

So true. When I programmed Thrust, I was convinced that no one could roll the fuel. And, guess what, a few years later, I had to add a bug fix.

And that's only one single episode from a developer's life.

How do you "roll the fuel"? Is it like the overflow bug in Super Mario Bros where your game ends if you accumulate more than 128 lives?

#354 Thomas Jentzsch OFFLINE  

Thomas Jentzsch

Thrust, Jammed, SWOOPS!, Boulder Dash, THREE·S, Star Castle

• 22,967 posts
  • Always left from right here!

Posted Sun Feb 11, 2018 12:11 PM

Yup. When you roll the fuel you are out of fuel and that ends the game very fast.

#355 aros-sg OFFLINE  

aros-sg

Combat Commando

• 4 posts

Posted Mon Feb 12, 2018 4:36 AM

This is analogous to your own Barnstorming example where something that could only make you slower was removed and a perfect run still wasn't fast enough. The scenario Thomas made changes certain parameters to be more favorable than they could possibly be during normal operation in return for a model that could be analyzed completely, and it STILL wasn't fast enough.

What if what you think is perfect run, actually isn't perfect run? In Barnstorming it seems possible to score more than once per barn. See video on YouTube. So real perfect run may not be basically straight line from barn 1 to barn 10, but maybe barn 1 to barn 9, or barn 1 to barn 8 using cheat/trick/bug/glitch to get score for some barns more than once.

#356 Thomas Jentzsch OFFLINE  

Thomas Jentzsch

• 22,967 posts

Posted Mon Feb 12, 2018 4:55 AM

In Barnstorming it seems possible to score more than once per barn. 

But that would be considered cheating/abusing a glitch and invalidate the record.

#357 aros-sg OFFLINE  

aros-sg

Combat Commando

• 4 posts

Posted Mon Feb 12, 2018 5:07 AM

It would still mean that a certain time needed to complete the game (== score 10 points) instead of being impossible actually may be possible, ie. the best possible time to complete the game ~calculated by someone may be wrong.

#358 Thomas Jentzsch OFFLINE  

Thomas Jentzsch

• 22,967 posts

Posted Mon Feb 12, 2018 5:12 AM

It would still mean that a certain time needed to complete the game (== score 10 points) instead of being impossible actually may be possible, ie. the best possible time to complete the game ~calculated by someone may be wrong.

True, but for calculating, you would have to disassemble the game first. And then there is a good chance that you would find the bug which allows the glitch.

#359 Machine OFFLINE  

Machine

Moonsweeper

• 382 posts

Posted Mon Feb 12, 2018 11:39 AM

The real question is, "If a dragster runs a 5.51 in a VCS and no one is around to see, does it still make a world record?"

#360 Waggie OFFLINE  

Waggie

Dragonstomper

• 689 posts

Posted Mon Feb 12, 2018 1:44 PM

I finally decided to dig my old high score binder out to see what I scored to get the dragster patch.  It was 5.94.  As far as I'm concerned, anyone less than that must have cheated :grin: :grin: :grin:

#361 Kosmic Stardust OFFLINE  

Kosmic Stardust

Princess Rescuer

• 16,112 posts

Posted Mon Feb 12, 2018 7:36 PM

The real question is, "If a dragster runs a 5.51 in a VCS and no one is around to see, does it still make a world record?"

Depends. Does it have a flux capacitor in the back? We may need to time travel in order to verify it.

#362 ZackAttack OFFLINE  

ZackAttack

Dragonstomper

• 610 posts

Posted Mon Feb 12, 2018 8:05 PM

Depends. Does it have a flux capacitor in the back? We may need to time travel in order to verify it.

That's the only way this thread is going to die. Someone needs to go back in time and force Activision not to publish times.

#363 Jinks ONLINE  

Jinks

River Patroller

• 4,219 posts

Posted Mon Feb 12, 2018 8:46 PM

That's the only way this thread is going to die. Someone needs to go back in time and force Activision not to publish times.

Do you want me to score a 5.50?
Thing is how would you know if I didnt photoshop it?

#364 Shawn OFFLINE  

Shawn

Nodus Tollens

• 17,298 posts

Posted Today, 12:05 AM

Everyone should watch at least the first 8 seconds of this video.

#365 [d2f]Iggy*SJB OFFLINE  

[d2f]Iggy*SJB

Dragonstomper

• 705 posts

Posted Today, 7:49 AM

I dont think it is necessary to test all test cases, because Todd already proved himself a liar by stating he started in 2nd gear, which the game code shows is impossible.

From a few pages back, and I don't think this has ever been addressed, but I have a question on this...

Would "starting in 2nd gear" not slow down your initial speed, or does the game assume that by reaching gear 2 that you've already achieved the top speed(or near to it) of gear 1 and start from there?

I'm not a programmer, and honestly, can't make heads or tails of the charts and whatnot, so I'm asking. I hope the question is clear...

If not, basically, does starting in second gear also start your speed at the lowest speed for gear 2, or would it "slow down" your acceleration curve because your starting from the "wrong" gear? Would there even BE an advantage to starting in 2nd gear? If the answer to that last is "yes", maybe someone should start looking there for a possible answer. Let us assume, for even a moment, that doing so would NOT result in the "blown engine" scenario. Just for shits and giggles.

1 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users