IGNORED

Drive Incompability??!

A2600

I dont knowing RANA 1000 DD, but it is one thing more: Atari 1050 DD oryginally supported only single and medium density, maybe Rana dont read medium or write only medium/double density of disk? Maybe problem is in it, but, haw I write, I dont know Rana specification.

The Rana 1000 supports single, double and 'enhanced' density - the 1050 format.

When the drive was first launched there were some problems with a couple of obscure titles. Rana swapped out initial units and after that there were no problems, I doubt this would be the problem.

When the drive was first launched there were some problems with a couple of obscure titles. Rana swapped out initial units and after that there were no problems, I doubt this would be the problem.

Hmm...this might actually be the problem; I gave Bryan my "latch-open" Rana drive, and this was indeed the earlier model. I still think that the drive head needs to be cleaned, though.

Hmm...this might actually be the problem; I gave Bryan my "latch-open" Rana drive, and this was indeed the earlier model. I still think that the drive head needs to be cleaned, though.

HOW DO YOU CLEAN IT??

Dunno about the Rana, but with a 1050 I just open the case, lift the upper pad out of the way, and swab with a alcohol cotton ball.

That's about all you can do unless you come across and old floppy drive cleaning kit; comes with a special disk that you drop a "fluid" (alcohol) onto and put in the drive, just let it boot up for 30 seconds (put up with the boot errors) and you're done. I have one of these, and I just came across another unopened one. Some Atari/Commodore classic dealers probably still have some for sale too.

But, as I told you before, even though those disks tested good for me on the 130XE and 1050, does not mean they weren't capable of losing the information on them. Just let me know which ones didn't work, and I'll make new copies for you on other disks. I've had several disks I've made quit loading after a couple of times. Even unused disks may not be good after sitting on a shelf for 10 or 20 years. On the other hand, I have well-used disks that are 20 years old and still work fine.

• 3 months later...

Ok I'm pulling this out of a deeeeep daaaarrrrrk memory.

If memory serves the rana drive ran a little faster (RPM). The games that used RPM to find the right sector "11" on the next track would get the wrong sector and the game would not load.

Could this be the problem

Noel B

Archived