Photo

What mods have been done or are still available for the Lynxes?

Atari Lynx Mods Modifications Lynx I Lynx II Hacks

17 replies to this topic

#1 Lynxpro OFFLINE  

Lynxpro

River Patroller

• 3,515 posts

Posted Sat Feb 3, 2018 10:28 AM

What are some of the really good hacks that have been done to the Lynxes over the years? Aside from the McWill LCD screen/VGA output, mosfet, etc? i guess I should also mention replacing the speaker too.

I remember when Candle was working on an LCD replacement solution, he was discussing adding a Sega MegaDrive/Genesis compatible DB9 port.

I've seen some battery replacement solutions and also even a video of someone adding Bluetooth audio to their Lynx [it was a video on YouTube and in French].

So what else has been done?  If possible, share pics and links...to the modded Lynxes.  :)

#2 ArcadeJunkie OFFLINE  

ArcadeJunkie

Moonsweeper

• 315 posts
  • Respect your digital roots....

Posted Mon Feb 12, 2018 9:42 PM

Handheldlegend.com has a LED backlight replacement. Fairly simple to do and inexpensive.

Not necessarily a "hack", but gives a HUGE increase to battery life while keeping the original look of the screen. Did both of my systems and my Game Gear too!

#3 Level42 ONLINE  

Level42

River Patroller

• 2,232 posts

Posted Tue Mar 13, 2018 12:17 AM

I did a Lipo battery mod.

And don't forget the old overclocking mod. In the late 90s I added a 24 MHz crystal and a switch. Some games really improve from it, some get unplayable.

I started working on a variable speed mod but it didn't work out as I hoped. It can work but would require some digital control instead of the pot that I tried.

Edited by Level42, Tue Mar 13, 2018 12:19 AM.

#4 necrocia OFFLINE  

necrocia

Chopper Commander

• 110 posts

Posted Sat Apr 14, 2018 4:00 AM

I've been putting together a list of exactly this, check it out - https://atarigamer.c...x-hardware-mods

I think it's mostly up-to-date, except for the variable speed overclock mod, which isn't really viable as Level42 says, so I didn't include it in the listing.

#5 Level42 ONLINE  

Level42

River Patroller

• 2,232 posts

Posted Sat Apr 14, 2018 2:36 PM

Wellllllllll.....the variable speed overclock needs....uhhmmm some better way to do it.....and I do have a plan for it :) Nut first gotta finish my A8 project :)

#6 necrocia OFFLINE  

necrocia

Chopper Commander

• 110 posts

Posted Sat Apr 14, 2018 4:18 PM

I'd love to see it completed. Also do you plan on or putting together a full how-to kind of guide/article for your LIPO mod? If you like I can publish it on AG but I'd need some more details and photos, etc.

#7 Turbo Laser Lynx OFFLINE  

Turbo Laser Lynx

Moonsweeper

• 394 posts

Posted Sun Apr 15, 2018 2:38 PM

Nice list necrocia, thanks for sharing!

#8 Level42 ONLINE  

Level42

River Patroller

• 2,232 posts

Posted Mon Apr 16, 2018 2:18 PM

I'd love to see it completed. Also do you plan on or putting together a full how-to kind of guide/article for your LIPO mod? If you like I can publish it on AG but I'd need some more details and photos, etc.

Well...if time allows yes. Must say I'm not in the most ideal private circumstances right now...but let's see what happens.

There is also still a minor issue with the LIPO mod. Turning on and off the Lynx sometimes works right away, sometimes it takes a lot of pushes of the button.....Not sure why this is and needs to be investigated. I suspect the resistance of the contact maybe too high for the interface to turn on/off sometimes....but not sure.

In the mean time, I just ordered an Arduino Mini, a display and a certain break-out board for that other Lynx project... :)

#9 necrocia OFFLINE  

necrocia

Chopper Commander

• 110 posts

Posted Mon Apr 16, 2018 6:18 PM

Are you making your own version of the McWill mod?

#10 towmater OFFLINE  

towmater

Dragonstomper

• 537 posts

Posted Mon Apr 16, 2018 9:39 PM

I replaced, or more accurately overlaid, tact switches in place of the rubber buttons, in a Lynx 1, making it much more playable.

#11 Level42 ONLINE  

Level42

River Patroller

• 2,232 posts

Posted Tue Apr 17, 2018 2:01 AM

Are you making your own version of the McWill mod?

Nope....little can be improved on that :)

Planning on an advanced version of the speed-mod :)

#12 Level42 ONLINE  

Level42

River Patroller

• 2,232 posts

Posted Tue Apr 17, 2018 2:01 AM

I replaced, or more accurately overlaid, tact switches in place of the rubber buttons, in a Lynx 1, making it much more playable.

That is interesting ! Do you have more details ?

#13 Level42 ONLINE  

Level42

River Patroller

• 2,232 posts

Posted Sun May 27, 2018 11:19 PM

Would love to have some more info on this towmater...

#14 towmater OFFLINE  

towmater

Dragonstomper

• 537 posts

Posted Mon May 28, 2018 10:31 AM

Would love to have some more info on this towmater...

2018 05 28 07.49.13

#15 necrocia OFFLINE  

necrocia

Chopper Commander

• 110 posts

Posted Mon May 28, 2018 3:01 PM

I wonder if the same will work in model 2?

#16 Level42 ONLINE  

Level42

River Patroller

• 2,232 posts

Posted Mon May 28, 2018 3:49 PM

Hah, excellent !!! I love simple but very clever ideas, well done.....I have not so much to complain about Lynx 1's controls....although I used to have the one with the cross that allowed better diagonals. Lynx II controls.....one of the reasons why I stick to the I only.....

#17 towmater OFFLINE  

towmater

Dragonstomper

• 537 posts

Posted Fri Jun 1, 2018 6:24 AM

BTW, do not do this mod, I'm working on a variation that won't require gluing things to your motherboard.

#18 Level42 ONLINE  

Level42

River Patroller

• 2,232 posts

Posted Sun Jun 3, 2018 2:16 PM

Cool....I love Lynx modding :)

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Atari, Lynx, Mods, Modifications, Lynx I, Lynx II, Hacks

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users