Photo

Broken Atari 2600 piece

13 replies to this topic

#1 agb OFFLINE  

agb

Moonsweeper

• 299 posts

Posted Tue Feb 6, 2018 6:33 PM

A piece of my Atari 2600 broke this morning. Can anyone tell me what the piece is called and the best place to get a replacement. Thank you.

Attached Thumbnails

• 1D93CE23-1C26-4540-BF53-D634BE56EA0F.jpeg

#2 CPUWIZ OFFLINE  

CPUWIZ

Commander

• 34,079 posts
  • I am the one who knocks!

Posted Tue Feb 6, 2018 6:55 PM

It is called garbage and you should replace it with this.

https://atariage.com...uct_detail&p=42

#3 SignGuy81 OFFLINE  

SignGuy81

Stargunner

• 1,661 posts

Posted Tue Feb 6, 2018 6:59 PM

Well I believe specifically he is referring to the spade fork terminal connectors.  He may have a very old TV he is connecting it to which doesn't have coax input.  https://www.ebay.com...o8AAMXQpPhTkida

• agb likes this

#4 CRTGAMER OFFLINE  

CRTGAMER

Dragonstomper

• 603 posts

Posted Tue Feb 6, 2018 7:13 PM

The TV select switch notorious for signal loss.

Get the RCA to Coaxial adapter.

31zUSYkO1xL.jpg

If older TV add a Coaxial to Spade adapter.

41erZK%2BIfdL._SY463_.jpg

#5 SignGuy81 OFFLINE  

SignGuy81

Stargunner

• 1,661 posts

Posted Tue Feb 6, 2018 7:28 PM

I agree with CRTGAMER above, but meanwhile you can just strip the end of that where the connector broke off and you can wrap it around the screw and it will work just as good as it did before.  You could do that while you wait on better parts so you aren't without a system.

#6 Keatah OFFLINE  

Keatah

Missile Commander

• 21,039 posts

Posted Tue Feb 6, 2018 7:43 PM

Or switch to emulation and not worry about any of this crap.
  • agb likes this

#7 agb OFFLINE  

agb

Moonsweeper

• Topic Starter
  • 299 posts

Posted Tue Feb 6, 2018 9:14 PM

So this would connect a 4 switch 2600 to a crt that’s not too old? Nothing else needed? Thank you.

#8 agb OFFLINE  

agb

Moonsweeper

• Topic Starter
  • 299 posts

Posted Tue Feb 6, 2018 9:16 PM

Or switch to emulation and not worry about any of this crap.

I love playing with the old hardware. I’ve had my system for 36-37 years. Can’t switch to emulation.

#9 Jinks OFFLINE  

Jinks

River Patroller

• 4,372 posts

Posted Tue Feb 6, 2018 10:04 PM

That old coax to spade I forgot all about.. thats how I would hook up my 2600 to my old zenith! I miss you and your uhf dial and how when ya shut her down that little glow in the centre of the screen. Pull the knob for power for another game of missle command.
Crazy thing that my childhood tv still works well 8 years ago I tried... too big to move its the size of a deepfreeze almost.

Edited by Jinks, Tue Feb 6, 2018 10:06 PM.

#10 Rom Collector OFFLINE  

Rom Collector

Star Raider

• 88 posts

Posted Wed Feb 7, 2018 4:33 PM

That old coax to spade I forgot all about.. thats how I would hook up my 2600 to my old zenith! 
Crazy thing that my childhood tv still works well 8 years ago I tried... too big to move its the size of a deepfreeze almost.

From Wiki:

Due to the use of chassis construction (and the high quality components), Zenith televisions and radios of the 1950s to 1970s found today are often still working well, needing little work to restore them to like-new operating condition. For many years, their famous slogan was "The quality goes in before the name goes on." 

From Zenith.com: 

Founded on radio engineering, Zenith soon became a leader in other consumer electronics developments, such as the first all-electronic TV station (1939), the first FM radio station in the Midwest (1940) and the world’s first subscription TV system known as “PhoneVision” (1947). Zenith pioneered AM and FM radio broadcasting—including the invention of the stereo FM radio broadcast system, authorized by the Federal Communications Commission (FCC) in 1961 and still in use worldwide—and played a key role in developing broadcast standards for black-and-white and color television.

Zenith engineers co-developed the multichannel television sound (MTS) transmission system adopted by the industry for stereo TV broadcasts (1984), and received an Emmy (1986) for pioneering work on development of MTS stereo TV. Other noteworthy Zenith television innovations include TV receivers with “Sound by Bose” (1986) and “Dolby Surround Sound” (1988), as well as the first TVs with built-in closed caption decoders (1991), the first TVs with built-in on screen electronic program guide (1994), and the first TVs with a track-ball operated remote control (1995).

#11 AtariLeaf OFFLINE  

AtariLeaf

Epic Godlike Canadian

• 10,708 posts

Posted Wed Feb 7, 2018 4:45 PM

I love playing with the old hardware. I’ve had my system for 36-37 years. Can’t switch to emulation.

Bah ignore Keatah. He's old and cranky and set in his ways ;)

#12 chas10e OFFLINE  

chas10e

Dragonstomper

• 766 posts

Posted Wed Feb 7, 2018 5:37 PM

fork terminal https://www.homedepo...5-111/205846629you can remove the red insulation

#13 Jinks OFFLINE  

Jinks

River Patroller

• 4,372 posts

Posted Wed Feb 7, 2018 7:51 PM

From Wiki:
Due to the use of chassis construction (and the high quality components), Zenith televisions and radios of the 1950s to 1970s found today are often still working well, needing little work to restore them to like-new operating condition. For many years, their famous slogan was "The quality goes in before the name goes on." 
From Zenith.com: 
Founded on radio engineering, Zenith soon became a leader in other consumer electronics developments, such as the first all-electronic TV station (1939), the first FM radio station in the Midwest (1940) and the worlds first subscription TV system known as PhoneVision (1947). Zenith pioneered AM and FM radio broadcastingincluding the invention of the stereo FM radio broadcast system, authorized by the Federal Communications Commission (FCC) in 1961 and still in use worldwideand played a key role in developing broadcast standards for black-and-white and color television.
Zenith engineers co-developed the multichannel television sound (MTS) transmission system adopted by the industry for stereo TV broadcasts (1984), and received an Emmy (1986) for pioneering work on development of MTS stereo TV. Other noteworthy Zenith television innovations include TV receivers with Sound by Bose (1986) and Dolby Surround Sound (1988), as well as the first TVs with built-in closed caption decoders (1991), the first TVs with built-in on screen electronic program guide (1994), and the first TVs with a track-ball operated remote control (1995).

I knew they were great!

#14 agb OFFLINE  

agb

Moonsweeper

• Topic Starter
  • 299 posts

Posted Fri Feb 9, 2018 11:56 PM

Thank you cpuwiz and all. I got a coaxial adapter and the 2600 is working well. Good to be playing the old hardware again.

Edited by agb, Fri Feb 9, 2018 11:58 PM.

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users