IGNORED

The NES second loop club!

What NES games have you completed the second loop of? My modest list:

Castlevania- Levels 2-3 with the crushers and Medusa heads combos are a bitch. 4-1 and especially 4-2 are tough! After that, strangely, the game returns to normal difficulty.

Zelda II- essentially an official cheat mode as you get restarted with full stats and all of your moves and spells. It's fun!

How about you?

Kung Fu

Contra

Isolated Warrior

Legendary Wings

Batman the Video Game - I doubt that most people even know that this one loops if you start another game after the ending. The game doesn't get any harder though.

If the game isn't any different, is it a "loop"?

I consider "Second Loop" to mean "Second Quest." Super Mario Bros. comes to mind, where all the Goombas are turned into Buzzy Beetles after you beat the game and the game is a little harder. Or the famous Second Quest in Legend of Zelda.

I don't know if I've ever finished any Second Quests. Maybe Super Mario Bros. but I don't remember. (I know I've finished both quests in Princess Rescue, but that's not NES. :P :-D)

• Like 1

Batman the Video Game - I doubt that most people even know that this one loops if you start another game after the ending. The game doesn't get any harder though.

If nothing changes, then it's not what people typically consider to be a second loop. Replaying a game that replicates the initial loop repeatedly has little to no meaning regardless how you look at it.

• Like 2

If nothing changes, then it's not what people typically consider to be a second loop. Replaying a game that replicates the initial loop repeatedly has little to no meaning regardless how you look at it.

Yeah, I misread the OP as just referring to games that keep looping. Legendary Wings doesn't get any harder either.

It's an interesting designation. I've heard Castlevania's second quest commonly referred to as the second loop, whereas with Zelda it is the second quest. Perhaps that's because Castlevania is more linear?

It's an interesting designation. I've heard Castlevania's second quest commonly referred to as the second loop, whereas with Zelda it is the second quest. Perhaps that's because Castlevania is more linear?

I think Zelda only has the two quests and that's it. Castlevania just keeps looping forever, so it's more like a second loop than a second quest.

It's pretty easy to define. Zelda's second quest doesn't require you to have beaten the game. Simply start a new game and type "Zelda" as your character name and you'll be thrown into the second quest. To access Castlevania's second loop, you have to beat the game then do the second loop in the same sitting. There's no shortcut to it.