Photo

What?

7 replies to this topic

#1 Opry99er OFFLINE  

Opry99er

Quadrunner

• 8,810 posts

Posted Mon Feb 12, 2018 6:13 PM

Are these unreleased prototypes or something??

Attached Files

#2 acadiel OFFLINE  

acadiel

Stargunner

• 1,153 posts
  • www.hexbus.com

Posted Mon Feb 12, 2018 8:46 PM

Qualification units. They made a group of modules to test before they released them. They had handwritten labels on them. Most likely, the cart inside is a standard board for those games. I have a Plato module like this.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

#3 InsaneMultitasker OFFLINE  

InsaneMultitasker

Stargunner

• 1,879 posts

Posted Mon Feb 12, 2018 8:50 PM

I am suddenly inspired to look through my old files for some old labels.

#4 Ksarul OFFLINE  

Ksarul

River Patroller

• 4,358 posts

Posted Mon Feb 12, 2018 10:23 PM

Almost all TI prototype cartridges in the wild are actually qualification units (equivalent to lab loaners and review copies for other systems). The board inside will be a production board, and the cases can be all kinds of crazy oddities (two-color, single color in a color never used in production, single color of a type only used rarely (like the blue, yellow-orange, or red cases used for some Scott Foressman titles), or standard release cases). Labels will often be handwritten, but some will be typed, and an even smaller group will have production labels on two-tone cases. Look carefully at the color of the Car Wars case above (I have that one). Notice how bright that white is. I have only ever seen it used for qualification units. One other note on the initial rarity of qulification units: between 150 and 175 if each cartridge would be produced in a qualification run. The purpose was to verify that the line could assemble them properly and that everything ran smoothly. Most of them never made it into the wild. In all the years I've been watching cartridges, I've never seen more than about half a dozen survivors of any given title as qualification units.

One note here: there ARE TI prototypes as well. Thesse will have EPROMs on an EGROM circuit card. I have several bare EGROM boards and half a dozen cartridges built on assembled EGROM boards (one of which is a copy of Parsec in a red case that I found in a Maryland thrift store back in 1995 for the princely sum of $1.49, along with a mutant black text on white background label Star Trek cartridge). Sometimes, you just have a lucky day, and that was one of mine. I bought my first Tomy Tutor there too. . .that was more expensive though, as they wanted $29.99 for it.

#5 Opry99er OFFLINE  

Opry99er

Quadrunner

• Topic Starter
  • 8,810 posts

Posted Mon Feb 12, 2018 10:27 PM

Wow!!! I need to make a trip out your way some time, Jim..... I hope I dont melt when I gaze upon the glory. ((Vision of Raiders of the Lost Ark))

#6 acadiel OFFLINE  

acadiel

Stargunner

• 1,153 posts
  • www.hexbus.com

Posted Mon Feb 12, 2018 11:22 PM

Wow!!! I need to make a trip out your way some time, Jim..... I hope I dont melt when I gaze upon the glory. ((Vision of Raiders of the Lost Ark))

We should host a poll about what to name Jim’s basement.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

#7 atrax27407 OFFLINE  

atrax27407

Dragonstomper

• 866 posts

Posted Tue Feb 13, 2018 7:14 AM

I just want to see the place first-hand. It has becomes a stop on my "bucket list" - Jim Fetzner's Grotto. It would be sort of like a trip to Lourdes!

#8 --- Ω --- OFFLINE  

--- Ω ---

오메가

• 11,168 posts

Posted Tue Feb 13, 2018 8:12 AM

I think more like a "TI Louvre" with all the works of art it contains.

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users