Retropie question

11 replies to this topic

#1 ClassicGMR OFFLINE  

ClassicGMR

Stargunner

• 1,283 posts

Posted Mon Feb 12, 2018 8:26 PM

OK I have tried to transfer files 2 ways:

1) USB method - the USB formatted to FAT32, Retropie creates the directories, I put the files in the proper rom directory and insert back to the Retropie for automatic transfer.

2) use Explorer to go to \\retropie and drag & drop over network

In both cases I get errors. The windows error that comes up states I don't have enough room. There's 26GB free on the RetroPie card, the file sizes are anywhere from 4MB to 32MB and yet when moving 886 files totaling 6.62GB there's an error. I successfully got 435 of them to transfer then:

6.22GB is needed to copy this item. Delete or move files so you have enough space.

As of this posting I am going to try and move 150 files at a time and see if that helps but I'm assuming it's something I am missing.

Also - the 522 Atari 2600 games transferred with no issues all at once.

Edited by ClassicGMR, Mon Feb 12, 2018 8:27 PM.

#2 mr_me OFFLINE  

mr_me

River Patroller

• 3,594 posts

Posted Mon Feb 12, 2018 11:47 PM

How are you determining how much free space is seen by Raspbian?

#3 ClassicGMR OFFLINE  

ClassicGMR

Stargunner

• Topic Starter
  • 1,283 posts

Posted Tue Feb 13, 2018 4:14 AM

Explorer into \\Retropie

Go into the ROM directory

Select All

Properties

See how much is used

I also noticed about a 2GB disparity between SIZE and SIZE ON DISK.

EDIT: Moving 125 files at a time worked fine until I got about halfway through the list then the space error started again.

I found that if you F4 out of Emulationstation it gives you disk statistics.

Filesystem /dev/root

Size 31G

Used 1.9G

Avail 28G

Use% 7%

Mounted on /

Edited by ClassicGMR, Tue Feb 13, 2018 5:02 AM.

#4 Mr Robot OFFLINE  

Mr Robot

Moonsweeper

• 421 posts

Posted Tue Feb 13, 2018 8:00 AM

You should always leave at least 20% of your card space free for wear leveling, error correction, saved games files etc. etc. The system uses a chunk of space while running for swap and tmp files and other things of a mystic nature. 

"Size" v's "Size on disk"... Welcome to the world of block sizes! if the block size is 4KB and you have a 1KB file, it will take up a minimum of 4KB on the disk, if a file is 4.01KB it takes up 8KB.  You'd be amazed how quick this adds up.

#5 zzip OFFLINE  

zzip

River Patroller

• 2,534 posts

Posted Tue Feb 13, 2018 10:09 AM

OK I have tried to transfer files 2 ways:

1) USB method - the USB formatted to FAT32, Retropie creates the directories, I put the files in the proper rom directory and insert back to the Retropie for automatic transfer.

2) use Explorer to go to \\retropie and drag & drop over network

In both cases I get errors. The windows error that comes up states I don't have enough room. There's 26GB free on the RetroPie card, the file sizes are anywhere from 4MB to 32MB and yet when moving 886 files totaling 6.62GB there's an error. I successfully got 435 of them to transfer then:

I think I know what the problem might be, even though the card has all that free space, the image you put on it has a much smaller filesystem and isn't using that space. You have to resize it. See the following thread, there's a menu option that will do this for you:

https://retropie.org...he-filesystem/3

#6 Mr Robot OFFLINE  

Mr Robot

Moonsweeper

• 421 posts

Posted Tue Feb 13, 2018 10:16 AM

I think I know what the problem might be, even though the card has all that free space, the image you put on it has a much smaller filesystem and isn't using that space. You have to resize it. See the following thread, there's a menu option that will do this for you:

https://retropie.org...he-filesystem/3

If the image were still a shrunk image the 

Filesystem /dev/root

Size 31G

Used 1.9G

Avail 28G

Use% 7%

Mounted on /

would report the smaller size.

Is this a cheap SD card from a iffy seller on eBay or Amazon? there are a lot of cards that say 32gb or whatever on them but in reality are rejects or much smaller cards hacked to report a larger size and reprinted. The wear leveling takes care of the missing space until the real card size is filled. 

#7 ClassicGMR OFFLINE  

ClassicGMR

Stargunner

• Topic Starter
  • 1,283 posts

Posted Tue Feb 13, 2018 12:00 PM

I found the source of my problem. I decided to go the USB permanent drive route. Works flawlessly.

My conclusions based on all your help is I have a crap card. 😕

#8 toptenmaterial OFFLINE  

toptenmaterial

River Patroller

• 4,757 posts

Posted Wed Feb 14, 2018 7:14 PM

I found the source of my problem. I decided to go the USB permanent drive route. Works flawlessly.

My conclusions based on all your help is I have a crap card. 😕

Here is a guide with ratings in respect to Retropie of many many cards

https://elinux.org/RPi_SD_cards

#9 Flojomojo OFFLINE  

Flojomojo

• 14,862 posts

Posted Wed Feb 14, 2018 8:49 PM

Crap, or not formatted to use the whole thing. Glad you've fixed things!

#10 iesposta OFFLINE  

iesposta

River Patroller

• 3,859 posts
  • Retro-gaming w/my VCS

Posted Wed Feb 14, 2018 9:04 PM

I doubt you were accessing the large Linux partition.
Probably you were copying to the small fat32 boot partition.

I always used an FTP/SFTP to connect and see the ext4 partition.
Now I just find premade images for 64GB or 128GB cards, and all the art, info, systems just work.
I can delete was I don't play, then SFTP over missing games / systems / new homebrews, etc.

It is way too easy to update something or mistype something and lose everything.
I had N64 Star Wars Pod Racer working great and Dragon's Lair and even Astrocade, and months of creating uploading original artwork. Now I can't remember how I got everything working.

#11 iesposta OFFLINE  

iesposta

River Patroller

• 3,859 posts
  • Retro-gaming w/my VCS

Posted Wed Feb 14, 2018 9:04 PM

P.S. I never tried using the USB stick method. :D

#12 fujidude OFFLINE  

fujidude

Quadrunner

• 5,186 posts

Posted Thu Feb 15, 2018 3:06 PM

You should always leave at least 20% of your card space free for wear leveling, error correction, saved games files etc. etc. The system uses a chunk of space while running for swap and tmp files and other things of a mystic nature. 

"Size" v's "Size on disk"... Welcome to the world of block sizes! if the block size is 4KB and you have a 1KB file, it will take up a minimum of 4KB on the disk, if a file is 4.01KB it takes up 8KB.  You'd be amazed how quick this adds up.

Especially with the small files typical of retro systems.

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users