43 replies to this topic

#26 Retrospect OFFLINE  

Retrospect

Dragonstomper

• Topic Starter
  • 948 posts

Posted Wed Feb 14, 2018 9:56 PM

*** Billy Ball Resurrection ***

Billy Ball has promised to meet his girlfriend Beatrice Ball, at the end of the woods in the village of Ballsham.

It's no walk in the park. He faces Snappers, Spiders, Birds, and holes in the ground.

Use Joystick to control. Billy Ball can move left and right, and jump left and right as well as straight up.

This game works in Extended Basic and can be used on a stock console with 16Kb RAM if copied to a real tape.

Attached File  billyballresurrection.gif   8.94KB   2 downloads

Attached File  BBR.wav   27.84MB   11 downloads

#27 Asmusr OFFLINE  

Asmusr

River Patroller

• 2,581 posts

Posted Thu Feb 15, 2018 2:28 AM

Yeah I remarked about that yesterday to a friend.  It's the audio quality they need, I think maybe the data would not survive any compression. 

Well, with very few changes (basically just to allow other filename extensions), js99er.net v. 5.12.3 now supports mp3 and ogg files. When generating these compressed files you may have to choose a quality in the high end of the scale to be able to read them in js99er, but the sizes are still considerably smaller.

Not sure if this will have any practical value. For the archive of tape files I would still recommend to stick to wav. If size matters, a binary tape format for emulators would be much more efficient. Instead of storing a bit as 32 samples of 32 bits you could use, well, 1 bit only (a compression factor of 1024).

Attached Files

#28 Retrospect OFFLINE  

Retrospect

Dragonstomper

• Topic Starter
  • 948 posts

Posted Thu Feb 15, 2018 8:34 AM

This will probably come in handy for storing the tapes on my chromebook as it has slightly more limited memory than normal computers. :)

#29 Retrospect OFFLINE  

Retrospect

Dragonstomper

• Topic Starter
  • 948 posts

Posted Thu Feb 15, 2018 10:31 AM

Regarding "Billy Ball Resurrection",

Major author apology, it's slow as molasses.  I've not used any clever routines for the player movements such as SIN command, it's all literally moving by pixels and there's quite a bit going on in some screens.  Maybes I'll fix this with a rewrite at some point.  Usually it doesn't matter because I compile games such as these, in fact with a delay put in, it would make a good compiled game.  

#30 Tursi OFFLINE  

Tursi

River Patroller

• 4,967 posts
  • HarmlessLion

Posted Thu Feb 15, 2018 4:16 PM

Not sure if this will have any practical value. For the archive of tape files I would still recommend to stick to wav. If size matters, a binary tape format for emulators would be much more efficient. Instead of storing a bit as 32 samples of 32 bits you could use, well, 1 bit only (a compression factor of 1024).

I haven't tried, but do we get sufficient compression if we just zip the WAV files? Unpacking a zip in memory is pretty well understood, so we could add that level of support?

#31 Sinphaltimus OFFLINE  

Sinphaltimus

River Patroller

• 2,301 posts
  • Distracted at the Keyboard

Posted Thu Feb 15, 2018 5:30 PM

AdventureLand gives me a bad value in 490

#32 Asmusr OFFLINE  

Asmusr

River Patroller

• 2,581 posts

Posted Thu Feb 15, 2018 6:47 PM

I haven't tried, but do we get sufficient compression if we just zip the WAV files? Unpacking a zip in memory is pretty well understood, so we could add that level of support?

Zipping is actually *much* more efficient than mp3'ing on the files I have tried.  

#33 OLD CS1 OFFLINE  

OLD CS1

River Patroller

• 4,595 posts
  • Technology Samurai

Posted Thu Feb 15, 2018 7:33 PM

Zipping is actually *much* more efficient than mp3'ing on the files I have tried.  

Color me impressed (mp3s created with lame 3.99 with --vbr-new):

1,788,716 DEMO.wav

334,450 DEMO.aac
  386,086 DEMO.mp3
   33,135 DEMO.zip

or more relevant

29,190,572 BBR.wav

1,366,255 BBR.aac
 1,599,768 BBR.mp3
   270,929 BBR.zip

#34 Tursi OFFLINE  

Tursi

River Patroller

• 4,967 posts
  • HarmlessLion

Posted Fri Feb 16, 2018 12:00 AM

That looks like a winner! Thanks for running the tests :)

#35 Retrospect OFFLINE  

Retrospect

Dragonstomper

• Topic Starter
  • 948 posts

Posted Fri Feb 16, 2018 10:53 PM

My "OXO" nought'n'crosses game for Rich Extended Basic, on tape. That's novel.

Computer plays against the player. Sometimes it can win, sometimes it's plain dumb. 

I don't think anyone's ever typed OLD CS1 or RUN "CS1" into RXB have they? :)

Attached File  rxboxo.wav   23.45MB   3 downloads 

#36 Tursi OFFLINE  

Tursi

River Patroller

• 4,967 posts
  • HarmlessLion

Posted Sat Feb 17, 2018 4:26 AM

Regarding "Billy Ball Resurrection",
Major author apology, it's slow as molasses.  I've not used any clever routines for the player movements such as SIN command, it's all literally moving by pixels and there's quite a bit going on in some screens.  Maybes I'll fix this with a rewrite at some point.  Usually it doesn't matter because I compile games such as these, in fact with a delay put in, it would make a good compiled game.

Maybe so, but it's gorgeous! I had a quick go tonight!

#37 ti99iuc OFFLINE  

ti99iuc

Stargunner

• 1,279 posts

Posted Sat Feb 17, 2018 4:34 AM

Hello Guys, i always done conversion in .wav on software published on my website database and used to a wave saved as a Mono, 8 bit, 44.1 KHz WAV File. (RIFF Format) because i used it with the program CS1er and it requested this format.

It is not e real compressed final file but it is not so heavy. think that for a FIAD file with size 40 the final file will be of 6Mb about.

this was a 40 fiad file example:

Attached File  test.wav   5.97MB   3 downloads

I think that actual this is a nice compromise to use a standard non-compressed format and you can use it will remain compatible with the most of other programs like CS1er and MESS too.

Edited by ti99iuc, Sat Feb 17, 2018 4:41 AM.

#38 Sinphaltimus OFFLINE  

Sinphaltimus

River Patroller

• 2,301 posts

Posted Sat Feb 17, 2018 3:44 PM

AdventureLand gives me a bad value in 490 (EDIT: Tested on real iron, classic99 and JS99er - same error.)

Also, Billy Ball at the Hatchery.wav seems to have an error. Doesn't load on real iron, classic99 or JS99'er.

Edited by Sinphaltimus, Sat Feb 17, 2018 3:50 PM.

#39 Sinphaltimus OFFLINE  

Sinphaltimus

River Patroller

• 2,301 posts

Posted Sat Feb 17, 2018 8:44 PM

AdventureLand gives me a bad value in 490 (EDIT: Tested on real iron, classic99 and JS99er - same error.)

Also, Billy Ball at the Hatchery.wav seems to have an error. Doesn't load on real iron, classic99 or JS99'er.

Flooraway the second floor wav file seems corrupt. Won't load on real Iron, JS99er or classic99
Same Colors (Playground) loads on all 3 but crashes when RUN

Stardust loads on all 3, saves to DSK just fine in classic99 and JS99er but locks up my Floppy Disk controller on real iron.

That's about it, I think i saved them all (the working ones on real iron) to a real floppy disk and at least did a RUN to ensure they start with the exceptions above. Some I played, most I have not.

EDIT: Photo Added

Attached File  FloppySpace.png   3.21MB   1 downloads

Edited by Sinphaltimus, Sat Feb 17, 2018 9:02 PM.

#40 Tursi OFFLINE  

Tursi

River Patroller

• 4,967 posts
  • HarmlessLion

Posted Sun Feb 18, 2018 12:46 AM

I went to check on Stardust but I couldn't find it -- I'm wondering if it's just a CALL FILES issue?

#41 Sinphaltimus OFFLINE  

Sinphaltimus

River Patroller

• 2,301 posts

Posted Sun Feb 18, 2018 7:11 AM

Hmmm, thought it might have been acquired via this topic. Maybe I got it from another, I'll attach after breakfast.

Edited by Sinphaltimus, Sun Feb 18, 2018 7:11 AM.

#42 Sinphaltimus OFFLINE  

Sinphaltimus

River Patroller

• 2,301 posts

Posted Sun Feb 18, 2018 8:17 AM

Flooraway the second floor wav file seems corrupt. Won't load on real Iron, JS99er or classic99
Same Colors (Playground) loads on all 3 but crashes when RUN

Stardust loads on all 3, saves to DSK just fine in classic99 and JS99er but locks up my Floppy Disk controller on real iron.

Attached are all the files I had issue with - Attached File  Cassette.zip   615.64KB   6 downloads

#43 Retrospect OFFLINE  

Retrospect

Dragonstomper

• Topic Starter
  • 948 posts

Posted Sun Feb 18, 2018 8:20 PM

Hi Sinphaltimus

I can tell you straight away what's wrong with the Adventure game, it's written in TI Basic and is using characters of 144 and over, which in normal extended basic is not allowed.  This game will actually run properly in RXB because Rich fixed stuff like this.  

Also to note; in both Classic99 and JS99er (and a real-iron machine with disk system attached) the game won't run even in TI basic unless you CALL FILES(1) and NEW first before loading it.

Which brings me to mind; there's some strange behaviour with JS99er when you disable the 32K and do a call files(1) and new ... I'll alert Rasmus to it when I find it again so I can tell him properly what's happening.  It says error in line whatever, and when you list it, a load of + and 0 chars spill down the screen.  

#44 OLD CS1 OFFLINE  

OLD CS1

River Patroller

• 4,595 posts
  • Technology Samurai

Posted Sun Feb 18, 2018 11:15 PM

FWIW, I have been very successful in cleaning up tape samples then importing them via Tape994A and to a lesser extent CS1er.  I have done so with almost all of my old BASIC programs on tape.

If you have any samples of tapes you cannot get to load in Classic99 or JS99er, let me know and I will give them a whack.

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users