IGNORED

Hello from an enthusiast that has recently been reintroduced to TI-99/4A

sixsevenco

Hi Everyone,

Maybe reading Ready Player One reignited a spark from my childhood, but in the last few months, I've found myself looking at Ebay and Craigslist for TI-99's. I had one as a kid (around ages 8-10), and I loved playing Munchman, TI Invaders, and Hunt the Wumpus. I also loved playing with BASIC. When I got older, I eventually moved on to an Apple IIc, so we sold our TI at a garage sale. I wish I still had it and all of the basic programs I created back in the day.

Moving to today, I found a pristine TI-99/4a at an estate sale just yesterday. It appears to have been covered from day one, and seldom used. It's truly a collector's class machine, not a scratch or any sign of use. It came with a the power brick, video modulator, and speech synth. And all of this works great! It also came with a cassette player, but that is unfortunately dead. I'm going to try to open it up and see if I can figure out why it's dead, but for now, I don't have any way to save anything.

I read the FAQ, as well as some some other posts on WAV sound players/recorders, but I wasn't able find an answer to this: It looks like a lot of the enthusiast solutions (nanoPEB, finalGROM99, etc.) are no longer available for sale or not available yet (TIpi). I am looking for any advice on how to handle storage. Should I get another cassette player, or are there better solutions that I should consider?

What other general advice can you offer someone just getting back into it. I don't have TI Extended Basic. It seems like I'm going to need that or a 32K expansion (in some flavor) to run larger cassette-based software...

Thanks,

67-co

PS - Admins, thanks for adding me to the AtariAge forum!

• Like 5

Welcome!

First, get a copy of Extended BASIC.

Next, watch this video to get BASIC and TI BASIC programs to your computer for use without anything but your cassette cable.

If you need 32k sidecars, I believe arcadeshopper.com sells them.

Additionally, you can pick up loads of game cartridges on eBay for pretty cheap if you watch carefully.

If you are interested in programming in BASIC, definitely get a cassette player (cheapest current solution) or a MiniMemory cartridge (4K maximum program size) and start writing and saving.

There are tons of programs available for free that run in console BASIC, so you can get started right now just using your cassette port and your PC.

These are the simplest and cheapest ways to enjoy your system... not necessarily the best.

welcome!

you can pick up a FG99 still- Ralph has them at https://endlos99.github.io/finalgrom99/or Greg makes them and sells them at https://www.arcadeshopper.com/wp/?page_id=11#!/Finalgrom99-assembled-board-with-low-profile-switches/p/95933522, they are made to order, tho, i think. :)

It's a neat piece of kit and definitely a must-have down the road i think.

In the meantime, TI Extended Basic is good if you want to play some of the EB games or do programming stuff.

The prices widely vary but picking up a floppy drive/disk controller and the 32k expansion will help. There are several alternatives for 32k just depending on what you find available. My cassette decks either work or they dont (mostly dont, lol), so I don't rely on them too much personally.

First, get a copy of Extended BASIC.

Next, watch this video to get BASIC and TI BASIC programs to your computer for use without anything but your cassette cable.

Thanks for the super fast response.

Should I look to eBay for Extended Basic? What's a good price?

Also, I don't think your video link posted correctly. Can I trouble you to re-post it?

Edited by sixsevenco

A pristine TI? Congratulations and welcome back to the TI fold!

Yep, for a returning TI'er, the 32K sidecar together with a FinalGROM 99 is a great way to get started! Not only that, the 32K sidecar will also give you future expandability supporting the upcoming TIPI. Add an F18A into the mix and you'll be 'stylin'.

Should I look to eBay for Extended Basic? What's a good price?

If you get a FInalGROM99 you can get the any of the Extended BASIC's for FREE. in << THIS THREAD >>.

The FinalGROM will save you a boatload of money that would be wasted buying a bunch of individual cartridges and paying the shipping expenses on them too.

With the money you save on shipping multiple cartridges, you can buy an F18A! ;)

If you get a FInalGROM99 you can get the any of the Extended BASIC's for FREE. in << THIS THREAD >>.

The FinalGROM will save you a boatload of money that would be wasted buying a bunch of individual cartridges and paying the shipping expenses on them too.

With the money you save on shipping multiple cartridges, you can buy an F18A! ;)

Ha. I've thought about the F18A. I called myself an enthusiast in the title, but part of me is not wanting to mod this particular machine. Maybe I need 2 TI's!!

• Like 2

This is awesome! I have a retired laptop that can handle this perfectly. Thanks. I was telling my very patient wife that ideally, I'd like to write basic on my Windows PC, and then transfer it to the TI. This will allow me to do that. Initially, I am thinking that I want to write some music, and I could use MS Excel to help generate some of the BASIC. Is there anyway to go the other way and save to the PC?

This is awesome! I have a retired laptop that can handle this perfectly. Thanks. I was telling my very patient wife that ideally, I'd like to write basic on my Windows PC, and then transfer it to the TI. This will allow me to do that. Initially, I am thinking that I want to write some music, and I could use MS Excel to help generate some of the BASIC. Is there anyway to go the other way and save to the PC?

Look up the thread on JS99er and CS1. I believe it is in the development sub forum. Youll be able to do it using this method

Ha. I've thought about the F18A. I called myself an enthusiast in the title, but part of me is not wanting to mod this particular machine. Maybe I need 2 TI's!!

I have the same dilemma. I bought a new in the box console on Ebay last summer, and I'm on the wait list for an F18A, but I kind of don't want to tear this one open. I may also pick up another console for that reason. If I could score a V2.2 console, that's the one I'd put the F18A in - I've never had (or even seen) a V2.2 console in person.

I have the same dilemma. I bought a new in the box console on Ebay last summer, and I'm on the wait list for an F18A, but I kind of don't want to tear this one open. I may also pick up another console for that reason. If I could score a V2.2 console, that's the one I'd put the F18A in - I've never had (or even seen) a V2.2 console in person.

Haha, I'm such the opposite. The first thing I do with any new machines that land in my hands now is open them up. ;)

• Like 1

As a former US president once said:

"people that had been trained in some instances to disassemble -- that means not tell the truth."

Did he really say that? The word should be “dissemble”, which has quite a different meaning from “disassemble”. Or, was misuse your point?

...lee