IGNORED

Atari 7800 power connector is not proprietary: found a few donors

CZroe

No

How about one of these?

img]https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20180222/070c21d5ee375c068ba917803a4a1e88.jpg[/img]

Most common size for whatever thrift-store plug you find. These things are, like, $0.50 at Fry’s Electronics or Microcenter (usually with the CCTV/security camera stuff). Strip the wires with whatever and screw them in with a screwdriver.

I ordered one of the $4.99 adapters in the link originally posted by shawn(the one we wound up writing to let know about the plug compatibility with the 7800). Very fast shipping I think I ordered it on the 22nd and it is here today.

Nice! I assume you found it independently of Shawn since you were already checking eBay before he posted. I wonder how many he sold before you came along! Probably zip.

How about one of these?

img]https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20180222/070c21d5ee375c068ba917803a4a1e88.jpg[/img]

Most common size for whatever thrift-store plug you find. These things are, like, $0.50 at Fry’s Electronics or Microcenter (usually with the CCTV/security camera stuff). Strip the wires with whatever and screw them in with a screwdriver.

I can try that with my original broken ac adapter.

I’ve got 10 on the way now and paid less than $35 shipped (chopped cord only).

I know some from a 7800 Facebook group and others on YouTube have also ordered. I let Console5 know and they sound interested. Hopefully Console5 can get enough to become a long-term source for these!

My eBay correspondence shows that they originally planned to end the auction and recycle these on Feb 22nd so SignGuy81 contacted them just in time (Feb 21st).

• Like 1

Yep. Those work great to adapt the chopped cords to standard PSUs. I’ll be using some of those on the other end of these Brinkmann cords.

They’ve already proven very useful for prototyping, troubleshooting, and experimenting, like when I had to see if a Neo Geo AES was 5v it 9v+ without opening it. 0:58 in this video:

https://youtu.be/pn4lyZHsSTE

I got a 5v 3A microUSB charger, adapted that to a standard 2.5x2.1mm (center-positive), then used a couple of those with some wire to reverse the polarity (center negative).

I’ve got other adapters for that same PSU since 3A is kinda high for USB but I think I killed it recently by running a Neo Geo MVS MV-FZ1 and GBS-8200 off of it. Bought another from Microcenter so we’ll see if they are crap or not. :)

Nice! I assume you found it independently of Shawn since you were already checking eBay before he posted. I wonder how many he sold before you came along! Probably zip.

I'm not 100 percent sure but the timing looks like he was advised by my posting as he was posting about a $23 one being an ok price right before I shared the link to the lot of 2k of them for so cheap.

I might grab some for myself. Was really hoping these would stay with private end users when I posted the link here. Not to big on the idea of a store scooping them for $$$. But, whatever I guess.

The eBay seller was not interested in keeping them available forever. The “store” I spoke of is more of a community service:

https://youtu.be/HqN2vVCijBE

It’s a terrible shame that you can’t get a 7800 pigtail there when you can get pigtails and connectors for just about everything else... often under $1. The guy is a saint and it would only be a good thing for him to keep this up after the eBay seller dumps them. Again, 2,000 is almost certainly more than there are people looking for these, considering that it’s a subset of a subset of a subset of retrogamers who would even want them. There should be plenty available for us to buy directly ourselves but it’s entirely possible that Luke could offer them even cheaper since the eBay price still has to consider the possibility that someone wants the whole thing + shipping.

I happen to know that Luke even personally needed a 7800 pigtail since his solution was to cobble together a non-keyed connector (like I used to do) using KK pins (well, mine were from a D-sub). He is one of us, so be proud that you helped him too!

He’s still the absolute cheapest place to get Famicom EXT/Neo Geo/Atari 5200 extension cables and a set of both GameBit (NEC External Line Head) screwdrivers. This guy is a saint.

The real tragedy would be for availability to be a flash in the pan for the lucky few... limited to those who came across this thread while it was still recent. There are enough to sustain availability for as long as people might need it, and there’s absolutely nothing stopping anyone from getting them directly from the source right now.

I'm not 100 percent sure but the timing looks like he was advised by my posting as he was posting about a $23 one being an ok price right before I shared the link to the lot of 2k of them for so cheap.

He was making a joke. It wasn’t $23 then:

15ae8def5ca3f2d5db67ca44214c23f1.jpg

I searched eBay pretty thoroughly when I resorted to Amazon for mine last year and expected anyone using the info to do the same when they found the need. Didn’t do it again myself because I didn’t need one urgently and I had just found another option. :)

Only reason the Amazon prize was justified was to see if the Brinkmann battery could still charge. It couldn’t, which was somewhat expected, so I used it for plan B: the Atari 7800.

Thanks again, Shawn. I couldn’t pass them up at $3.50 each since I’ve definitely found myself needing them repeatedly over the years and I know I can find people who need them.

• Like 1

Yes, I as well seen the $4.99 BIN before it was posted. I got to looking on ebay after seeing the video. I thought it would be funny to post the $300 one. After Shawn posted the same $4.99 one CPUWIZ posted the statement(that I didn't catch the first time) on the $4.99 one about the recycling of them. I thought it was a good idea to contact them instead of them go to waste. However you never know though some sellers may list phrases like that to make you think something will be gone in a week so you think you have to buy it before it is gone but you never know which is why I contacted them.

Yes, I as well seen the $4.99 BIN before it was posted. I got to looking on ebay after seeing the video. I thought it would be funny to post the $300 one. After Shawn posted the same $4.99 one CPUWIZ posted the statement(that I didn't catch the first time) on the $4.99 one about the recycling of them. I thought it was a good idea to contact them instead of them go to waste. However you never know though some sellers may list phrases like that to make you think something will be gone in a week so you think you have to buy it before it is gone but you never know which is why I contacted them.

Yeah, but seeing that there was nothing that cheap last year and that the listing was genuinely scheduled to end on the 22nd and they removed the statement once informed, I believe they were serious. If they just wanted to scare us into buying then they probably would have doubled-down on the threat! ;)

Thanks!

I’m actually wondering if I should have got more, since I’ll be out of them in 6 years at the rate I’ve been going through originals. :)

• Like 2

Yeah, but seeing that there was nothing that cheap last year and that the listing was genuinely scheduled to end on the 22nd and they removed the statement once informed, I believe they were serious. If they just wanted to scare us into buying then they probably would have doubled-down on the threat! [emoji6]

Thanks!

I’m actually wondering if I should have got more, since I’ll be out of them in less than 6 years at the rate I’ve been going through originals. [emoji4]

Edited by CZroe
  • Like 2

Can anyone comfirm if Best is out of stock on the $15 Atari 7800 AC adapters?

Don't worry , even if he is out right now you will be able to get one soon enough from him . But if you need one right now just email Brad and ask . 15 dollars does not meet the minimum for an order unfortunately .

• Like 1

Don't worry , even if he is out right now you will be able to get one soon enough from him . But if you need one right now just email Brad and ask . 15 dollars does not meet the minimum for an order unfortunately .

I bit the bullet for one on Ebay for $40. Am leaving the USA next week for a month long vacation and am super busy getting ready for that, so was just easier to order one on ebay and have it shipped to my mom and dad's house so it's waiting for me there when I get back, rather then emailing Brad back and forth and trying to figure out if he has them in stock, then trying to figure out if he would just sell me one for $15 or if I have to navigate his site and find a bunch of other junk to order as well to meet the minimum order requirement.

An update: Luke (Consile5) tells me that he managed to secure enough of the leads for the near future. Brad (Best Electronics) went silent after I told him so I don’t know if he’ll be able to do anything with them.

Luke wasn’t able to get them as cheaply as he’d hoped but at least we know where we can get them for a reasonable price once the eBay source dries up. Obviously, he’ll have to beat the price the adapters often go for, since everyone knows what to look for now. My guess is that it’ll be right around the price we’re paying now (under $5).

Still wish we had found the connector’s original supplier to order them cheaply but I’ve wasted enough hours of my life on that.

Edited by CZroe
  • Like 1

So Console 5 is going to be making third party 7800 AC adapters with these and selling them somewhat affordably?

Well, they’re kind of a DIY/repair supply shop for stingy people like me who don’t want to pay the going rate for an adapter. [emoji4]

I think they are going to offer it like/along with these:

2580abb9fc59f40fbd30743787c8b852.jpg

They may also turn them into adapters like this:

572871a54a5e274ae8cc9bc0b9f718da.jpg

With something like that you’d be able to power the 7800 with a MK-1602 Sega Genesis adapter.

Edited by CZroe
  • Like 1

Can anyone comfirm if Best is out of stock on the $15 Atari 7800 AC adapters?

Someone just posted on the Atariage Facebook group less then 15 minutes ago saying he called Brad at Best Electronics and that he is indeed OUT OF STOCK of the $15 Atari 7800 AC Adapters (Unfortunately :()

Edited by Pink
  • Like 1

I have 3 Atari brand 7800 AC's in great shape I'd love to sell for the prices you are talking about. Hell if anyone is looking for an AC and wants to save $5 versus the going ebay rates let me know. I've got 3 right here waiting to sell you :)

I bit the bullet for one on Ebay for $40.

I could have saved you at least $5 off that price :(

• Like 2

Well, they’re kind of a DIY/repair supply shop for stingy people like me who don’t want to pay the going rate for an adapter. [emoji4]

I think they are going to offer it like/along with these:

2580abb9fc59f40fbd30743787c8b852.jpg

They may also turn them into adapters like this:

572871a54a5e274ae8cc9bc0b9f718da.jpg

With something like that you’d be able to power the 7800 with a MK-1602 Sega Genesis adapter.

A cable adapter like he offers for the TurboDuo to model 1 Genesis would be awesome! That way no mod is needed. Just grab a Genesis or SMS power supply or Jaguar if you want to keep it Atari. Plug the 7800 connector end into the 7800 and the other into your donor supply. Nice!

Got mine last night.

187d87db6faca8b6e30f9051df58fb70.jpg

dbe0994d9cc416ba59166023e8939f0c.jpg

They fit perfectly. The shroud/hood looks exactly the same so these may be exact replacements the 7800 adapters with black tips (instead of blue).

Thanks again, Shawn!

A cable adapter like he offers for the TurboDuo to model 1 Genesis would be awesome! That way no mod is needed. Just grab a Genesis or SMS power supply or Jaguar if you want to keep it Atari. Plug the 7800 connector end into the 7800 and the other into your donor supply. Nice!

Yep! In the video in the OP I did exactly that: made a 5.5x2.1mm center-negative to Atari 7800 adapter to use with a Sega MK-1602, Master System, or Jaguar PSU. I was just about to smash open the wall end when I realized I had better document what device the plug came from. A couple blows with a hammer and the casing split cleanly enough that I re-used it to mount the female jack (poking out of the drilled hole).

f0718c5795a129d66b20c334342dbb13.jpg

There are no prongs on the other end anymore and I covered up/removed all misleading markings.

Similar to the TurboDuo DC-DC adapter, Console5 makes one for SNES, which I use in my Virtual Boy AC adapter tap to play using a Sega MK-1602 AC adapter. Didn’t want to waste an SNES adapter on that. [emoji4] Heck, the Japanese Virtual Boy AC adapter tap would have fit the MK-1602 directly, just like the Super Famicom, which is what I use it with most often.

The MK-1602 really is the workhorse of my AC adapters since it fits so many standard-size devices (5.5x2.1mm), it’s got more than an amp available, and so many older consoles use the same center-negative polarity.

The 10.5v TurboGrafx adapter gets a bit of use too since it’s also 5.5x2.1mm center negative. I worry about excess heat for 9v devices and sometimes limit use for short durations (testing something else). I mostly use it for Neo Geo AES since mine is one of them that gets 9-11v and my TG-16 is powered by a different plug through the Turbo-CD Dock. Used it Friday to compare Super Famicom on OSSC with HD Retrovision cables to the Super Nt, since it was handy at the time.

Edited by CZroe
  • Like 1