IGNORED

help requested testing on real hardware

easmith

Hi,

I was having some cartridges made through AA of my first game attempt (attached ) and there was a bug when tested on real hardware that I had not seen in Stella.

That has been corrected, but I was hoping that if anyone had a harmony cart and would be willing to play it a bit and see if there are any other major bugs I would greatly appreciated it . I do not have a console and cannot test it..

post-63151-0-43357900-1519435470_thumb.png

I think I had attached the wrong PAL file , fixed now

AlienAttack2.1.bin

AlienAttackPAL.bin

Edited by easmith

Nothing crashing and it's fun, but can you post some instructions?

I'm playing it but other than shooting aliens, I don't exactly know what's supposed to happen or what certain items are.

What do the bars at the top mean? Do the right numbers represent the wave #?

I see the green bars at the bottom are remaining ships, but what are the other 3 large graphic blocks (green with blue center)? The blue slightly extends to the right past the green and sections sometimes disappear as the game progresses.

Collision detection is good when hitting an alien or being hit by alien missiles. At stage 4 the alien missiles sometimes disappear or get glitchy...hard to explain, sorta like leave artifacts. Colliding with an alien does no damage, I assume this is normal?

edit...

Made it up to level 8 so far and no other missile glitches. Seems to only be the yellow aliens in stage 4, and even at that, it doesn't really affect the game play.

Edited by Turbo-Torch

I'm playing it but other than shooting aliens, I don't exactly know what's supposed to happen or what certain items are.

I see the green bars at the bottom are remaining ships, but what are the other 3 large graphic blocks (green with blue center)? The blue slightly extends to the right past the green and sections sometimes disappear as the game progresses.

Collision detection is good when hitting an alien or being hit by alien missiles. At stage 4 the alien missiles sometimes disappear or get glitchy...hard to explain, sorta like leave artifacts. Colliding with an alien does no damage, I assume this is normal?

edit...

Made it up to level 8 so far and no other missile glitches. Seems to only be the yellow aliens in stage 4, and even at that, it doesn't really affect the game play.

sorry , I have posted this in Programming Forum and 2600 Forum ....

Pretty simple: You are protecting the colony from Alien Attack.

You must defeat 16 waves to save the colony.

The enemies will attempt to take out your laser cannon or your laser cannon power supply ( the rectangles).

Also , your power supply only lasts for a count of 60 (top left), so wave must be defeated by then for recharge.

There are 6 aliens per wave (top right) and the bars at the top track how many remaining.

I have noticed the disappearing enemy missiles ( where you can't see them once they hit ground ) . Not sure what causes that ..

No collisions with enemies ( they pass over )

Would be curious to see a video if that is possible . The cannon power supplies are supposed to be gray and blue, not green.....

Edited by easmith

edit...

If you are testing on real hardware, can you check something?

Can you check if the enemy missiles behave like they do in this stella video?

There was a problem with the player shooting due to an emulation issue (shot would not rest to player positon). But I had the same code sequence for the enemy firing and no one seemed to indicate an error.

AAttack.mp4

AA.txt

AlienAttackFinal.bin

If you are testing on real hardware, can you check something?

Can you check if the enemy missiles behave like they do in this stella video?

There was a problem with the player shooting due to an emulation issue (shot would not rest to player positon). But I had the same code sequence for the enemy firing and no one seemed to indicate an error.

attachicon.gifAAttack.mp4

Sorry, I didn't get a chance to play it this weekend due to helping relatives pack for a cross country move.

I'll try and spend some time with it this evening and report back. I watched your video but I'm not sure what I'll be looking for? Do you mean when the enemies shoot, their missiles stay right under them instead of breaking away?

For some reason you're not getting many views or downloads on this topic...it's a cool game that deserves more attention.

Maybe try posting this in the main 2600 forum section which gets a lot more traffic?

Read the post in Programming Forum "problem testing on real hardware". The player shot was coming from the left edge of the screen regardless of where the player is.

I think the problem is fixed . Just wanted to check that same thing wasn't happening with enemies. The sticking of the missiles at the bottom before they release is intentional.

I have posted numerous versions of the game, and I think people might be a bit fatigued of seeing my posts and numerous "final" versions. An earlier first version got more downloads. It has a respectable number over all the different posts

But I appreciate the nice comment. I did post it in the 2600 forum. It is a very basic space shooter really (poor man's megamania crossed with poor man's atlantis), and the sounds need to be better. Scrolling and platformers seem to be more popular. I'm still happy with it though for having not written a line of 2600 code 6 weeks ago :).

People could have been mean and no one has done that so that is pretty cool.

Edited by easmith