IGNORED

Map of Downland

Nebulon

That game was so frustrating -- it started off difficult, and then quickly rose to utterly impossible! I don't think that I ever made it past the second screen. Of course the Coco joysticks did not help the experience any.

Yeah. The controls are brutal.

I eventually decided that the designer's intent was to give the player an 'unsteady' feeling (especially on the ropes). I usually play it using the basic analog stick. It's kind of like trying to learn to balance on a pin.

In a word.... brutal.

• 2 weeks later...

My all-time favorite Color Computer game. My older brother and I used to play this game all the time back in the day. We never finished it though. Looking at that map, I think Chamber 7 is the furthest I'd ever been. Thanks for posting it. I still do go back and play this on occasion. We didn't have a disk drive for our Color Computer 2, so I never knew that this game had a sequel called "Cave Walker" until many years later.

• 2 weeks later...

A sequel?! Awesome!

After reading this write-up, I'm totally stoked!

http://www.lcurtisboyle.com/nitros9/cavewalker.html

Anyone know how to run this under OS-9 Level II ? I don't even recall how to get OS-9 started, let alone run a game in it.

Putting in the OS-9 disk and typing DOS at the prompt should start it. The game itself should have the os loader on it, so no need to load the full OS in order to play.

Downland was my first cart game for the coco. And like others I could never beat it. The "death fart" sound when you die still haunt me to this day.

Edited by Gamemoose
  • Like 1

Ah okay, I see. If I want to run it in OS-9 Level 2 I need a second disk drive (waaah!).

I was hoping to boot into OS-9 Level 2 and then run the game -- all using one drive. I guess that can't be done.

Oh well...

** Wait ** maybe it is possible to run it under OS-9 Level 2 using one drive.

I finally got it to work.

First, I booted from the OS-9 Level 2 disk.
Then I typed
chx /d0/CMDS
Next I typed cave and pressed Enter.

It would be nice if the manual told OS-9 newbies how to change to the CMDS directory.

So now I can use the second controller button. Yay!

Edited by Nebulon