IGNORED

Some C64-ATARI games compared

I´ve checked some of the games I have for both platforms :

International Karate :

- Better graphics on ATARI (more colors),better music on C64

- would call it a tie

Druid :

- C64 version has far better sprites , on the ATARI it´s sometimes hard

to tell what the creatures should be.Also has music,the ATARI no music.

- ATARI version is easier

- C64 version is better

Zybex and Draconus (Zeppelin) :

- Both games have low resolution on the XL , but I like the music more on the ATARI.

- Especially in Draconus enemy creatures are just to blocky on the ATARI.In the C64 version,you recognize them as animals ,monsters etc.

- Zybex plays better on the ATARI , the C64 version is much harder

- I ´d say C64 Draconus is better , but personally I like ATARI Zybex more than the C64 version although this one looks better

Blinky´s Scary School (Zeppelin):

- Same problem as in Draconus , the C64 sprites look good , but the XL sprites are too blocky and the graphics is only 4-color.

- The music on the ATARI is quite good as most Adam Gilmore tracks , but the C64 music is a little bit better.

- C64 version wins here

Ninja Commando (Zeppelin) :

-Although no blocky graphics this time,the XL uses only 1-color players for most moving objects and so the C64 version looks better.

- Music is good on the ATARI,too

- C64 version is better

Ninja (Mastertronic) :

- better ,more colorful graphics on the ATARI

- I even like the music on the ATARI more than on the C64 , although it´s by Rob Hubbard.

- I think the XL is better and plays better

Rampage

-The C64 version uses big multicolor sprites and the XL version only 1-color players , so the C64 version looks much better.

-C64 version wins here

Ballblazer,Eidolon,Rescue on Fractalus,Koronis Rift

- These games have been programmed for the ATARI and the C64 versions - especially Koronis Rift and Ballblazer are quite bad , Eidolon seems to be the same on most systems.

- Even the music is better on the ATARI.

- ATARI wins here.

The Pawn,Guild of Thieves,Jinxter (Magnetic Scrolls)

- these games are graphic adventures.On the ATARI , they did not use any DLIs so all the great looking pictures from the ATARI ST Original look quite bad on the ATARI 800 , only 4-color graphics.

- On the C64,the pictures use 16 colors and look much better.

- so the C64 wins here

Alternate Reality City/Dungeon (Datasoft)

- The graphics on the ATARI looks better,more colors,DLIs etc.

- Even the music is better on the ATARI

- ATARI wins here

Mercenary (Novagen) :

- Graphics look the same on both systems - 3D wireframe graphics.The XL version is a little bit faster (the 48K version much faster,but less resolution).

- I´d say a tie

Amaurote (Mastertronic) :

- The ATARI uses isometric 3D HiRes graphics as the Amstrad version , which looks great.It´s a little bit slow sometimes.

- The C64 uses top-down view with ugly looking sprites,seems like a completely different game to me.

- The music is better on the ATARI

- the ATARI wins here

Ghostbusters (Activision) :

- C64 version has better sprites and more speech ("It slimed me").

- C64 versions music is better

- The ATARI version is not much worse , but I´d say the C64 wins here.

The Last V8 (Mastertronic).

- C64 version as speech,more colordul graphics and awesome soundtrack by Rob Hubbard

- The ATARI version is a bad port with only 4-colors,no speech and the music sounds ridiculous compared to the original

- the C64 wins , but the game is crap on both systems

Anyone can compare more games ? I´d say most problems are because of bad ports.ATARI games ported to C64 won´t be great there and C64 games cannot be ported to the ATARI very good.

And sometimes - look at the Magnetic Scrolls adventure - the programmers just didn´t spend time in converting the graphics for the ATARI and just went "4-color".

Thimo

As for more faithful ports Pole POsition and Dig Dug are better on the Atari.

PP wins all categories hands down

Dig Dug looks better on the C64 but the gameplay is terrible (of course Im not referrring to the original 800 release which sucked raw eggs)!

Wizard of Wor - I guess if you give a monkey enough time it could create crappy graphics - thats the Atari 800 version though it plays and sounds great. C64 version wins with more faithful graphics

Gorf - Again crappy graphics make the C64 version a bit better

Some more :

Defender

- The C64 version is a really bad port.ATARI version has better graphics,sound and gameplay.

H.E.R.O.

- The ATARI version looks like an improved 2600 version and plays well.

- The C64 version looks like the Coleco version and although the graphic has more detail this makes the gameplay worse.And all the sprites seem to be 1 color on the C64 , but are more colorful on the ATARI.

- I like the ATARI version much more.

Spellbound (Mastertronic)

- ATARI version uses multicolor graphics , C64 version seems to be a 1:1 Spectrum port with HiRes graphics , but less colorful.

- The ATARI version seems to be limited to 48K and some (useless) rooms are missing AFAIK and what´s really bad - Rob Hubbard´s great music is missing.

- So the C64 version is a little bit better , but just because they made this one only 48K for ATARI

Q-Bert :

- The graphics is better on the C64,good looking sprites are the C64´s strength.

- I think this one is better on the C64.They could have made a better 800 version.

Gyruss :

- XL version plays well , but looks a little bit blocky compared to the C64

- C64 version has better graphics and sound and I think this one is better

H.E.R.O.  

- The ATARI version looks like an improved 2600 version and plays well.

- The C64 version looks like the Coleco version and although the graphic has more detail this makes the gameplay worse.And all the sprites seem to be 1 color on the C64 , but are more colorful on the ATARI.

- I like the ATARI version much more.

If the 8-bit version is the same as the 5200 version then they are very close. I'd say the C64 version looks a lot more like the 5200 version then the CV version which has those damn ugly grey bars at the bottom and funky colors where they don't belong. I like having a button for setting dynamite on the 5200 and CV versions.

As a side, it is amazing how well this game comes across on the 2600. Sometimes I find the added textures of the other versions to be just a destraction.

Gyruss :

- XL version plays well , but looks a little bit blocky compared to the C64

- C64 version has better graphics and sound and I think this one is better

You don't have to think about this one the C64 version is WAY better. Next to the arcade, the C64 has the best Gyruss though I tend to play my 5200 version the most as I only have the C64 version on disk.

As for more faithful ports Pole POsition and Dig Dug are better on the Atari.

PP wins all categories hands down

Dig Dug looks better on the C64 but the gameplay is terrible (of course Im not referrring to the original 800 release which sucked raw eggs)!

Which C64 port? There were several. The DataEast ports of PP & DigDug weren't bad.

Any C64 port of Pole Postition is not as smooth and the car handles like a boat

In Dig Dug when the Pookas are invisible they can come at you at an angle where uou cant hit them as they return to form - there are some gameplayelements that are not right on the C64 version.

Donkey Kong - The Atari 800 version is the best of all the classic consoles. If the developer just got the final girder on the first board it would be 99% arcade perfect :)

There were plenty of games that were better on the Atari 8bits than C64.

Esciapply the games during the early to mid 80s.

Here I can name a few...

Popeye: ATARI wins for the extra smoothness as C64 was a little blocky.

Boulder Dash - ATARI wins (just). The Construction kit i liked better as you had more choice of colours unlike the C64s 16 colours.

MULE - ATARI wins to its better intro POKEY music than the C64s SID.

Conan - ATARI wins due to the extra smoothness and better music

Mercenary - ATARI wins as the extra smoothness and maybe more framerate journy between the linear graphics.

Ultima 2 - ATARI.. lots of reasons ! Dont like the C64 version.

Zepplin - ATARI Wins. both version are good but this style of game fitted better for the ATARI

Astro Chase - ATARI - Nicer use of colours and graphics than the C64 Version.

Never Ending Story (Adventure) - ATARI - Atari played the tune continiously in this adventure giving it more of a nicer appeal.

Fort Apocalyse - ATARI. C64 was good too but Atari had the extra magic feeling towards this great game.

Jet Set Willy - ATARI - Both differ but gameplay is much the same expect Atari brillant title music!

Jungle Hunt - ATARI - Hard one to pick but i perfer the Atari version.

Murder on the Zinderneuf - ATARI - Better use of colours for this type of game I guess.

Pole Position - ATARI was very playable yet I thought the C64 version was surely unplayable and disapointing.

Thats to name a few.

I wont go into the C64's list.

Lots of them our hard to tell which is better.

But when it comes to gaming, I guess the C64 does win hards down.

Atari's magic was in the early to mid 80s and C64 Magic wasnt appearing unlil at least after 1986.

:ponder:

Well anyway thats my oppionon. 8)

BTW.. I do come from an PAL-TV country, so I guess the games I played where slower than the ones that had NTSC.

Well, a while back I compared many, many Atari games to the Commodore versions, and I too, found good and bad on both sides, but overall, I prefered the Atari and it's games, and felt no need to keep two systems so similiar and I grew up with Atari, so the C64 went. I just recently got a couple c128's and another c64 though, with games that I don't have or can't get on the Atari 8-bit, so I'll keep one of these. Might and Magic 1&2 anyone? I personally feel the Atari is an overall, slightly better machine, but then it's so close that it's sometimes just comes down to what your used to I'm sure. I recommend everyone gets both. Same with the Atari ST's and Commodore Amiga's...I now have both of them too. So far it's the same thing with them too, neither is better overall, both have weeknesses and strengths between each other just like the 8-bits. It usually comes down to the programming effort&talent put into the games...which system had the most effort and talent put into it's version?

summergames series:

atari version sucks compared to the epyx ones... sprites have less resolution, less colors, the swimmer is violet, even the sprites go over the "edge" as they haven't used overscan, the intro is done with less "love" as the birds are hitting the top... but it was quite fun to play...

and that was 1984.......

haven't got the time to look into:

- archon 1+2

- seven cities

+ other EA games... but i am sure that monster construction set, midnight magic, hard hat mack, etc... will look much better...

hve

Archived