IGNORED

Best Multicard Cartridge choice ?

JihemB

Hi everyone.

I'm looking for a multicard cartridge for my Atari 800 XL (French SECAM model).

I already own a SIO2SD device.

When I browse the forum I can currently identify at least 3 models of multicards : "The!Card", "Ultimate SD" and "AtariMax flashcard" if I'm not mistaken.

Is it possible to have (unless already done) a comparison of these models and an advise to choose either the best one or explain what are the pro/cons for earch model ?

Thanks.

@Philsan & Fuls.

Thanks both of you for your links and comparison chart.

Apparently the "Uno card" is the best choice since it is one of the less expensive and more compliant choice (since I already have SIO2SD).

JihemB

BTW, I have just finished updating Topic for newbies.

With UNO cart and SIO2SD you can load most games, apart the ones that need memory expansion or big cartridges (>128KB) like Atari Blast!, Mean 18 or Space Harrier.

For me personally is the very best choice The!Cart. It has the best menu and it is by far the fastest. The contents of my cart do not change many times. I have everything on it I want/need and once in a while (approx. once a year) I add something to it.

I have all the other multi carts here too.

I also am a huge fan of atarimax MyIDE ][

Uno cart is nice, but way too limited. Ultimate SD cart is great, but I have stability issues on some of my atari's and I do not appreciate the loading time on larger roms.

I have my The!Cart permanently inserted in my atari. The very first entry is my SpartaDosX rom. Since The!Cart loads everything instantly, this is a pretty cool substitution of my SDX cart. When I want to play a game I pick something else from the menu. I even have a 'boot from Sio' menu entry created. The menu on The!Cart is the best menu i have ever seen. Simply type a part of the title and boom there it is. You don't even have to type the start characters. When I type 'Man' on my menu I get this:

Commando

Elevator Repairman

Enigmatic Man (msx demo)

Flowers Mania

Jr. Pac-Man

Mega Mania

Missile Command

Ms. Pac-Man

Pac-Man

Pac-Man Arcade

Rockman

the menu results change real time! It is incredible.

Another superb feature of The!Cart is that it does load certain ATR games that do not run on the other mentioned carts. I have Cropky on my The!Cart and I also have Johny's Trouble on The!Cart. Both the DISK versions.

Since you already have Sio2SD it is a piece of cake for you toe program The!Cart.

That is the only downside of The!Cart, you have to flash it. And when you are starting with creating a nice collection, this could take a while.

• Like 3

Marius, I bought The Cart! and I like it too (I am waiting to receive it).

But what about xex? SIO loading devices and other carts load them, you only have to drag and drop on SD cards.

If I am not wrong you have to make AtariMax compilations to run them with The Cart!

All games are available in xex format (apart atr ones and few exceptions).

Edited by Philsan

Apparently the "Uno card" is the best choice since it is one of the less expensive and more compliant choice (since I already have SIO2SD).

If you already own a SIO2SD, I would recommend checking out the Ultimate Cart.

With an Ultimate and SIO2SD combo you will be able to run almost everything ever written for the A8 line, limited by only NTSC/PAL or RAM limitations.

I own a UNO Cart and it is fantastic but perhaps best if you only want one device to handle a wide range of options.

The!Cart looks great as a single choice option as well but I have no personal experience with it.

But what about xex? SIO loading devices and other carts load them, you only have to drag and drop on SD cards.

If I am not wrong you have to make AtariMax compilations to run them with The Cart!

I am almost certain that this is true. You have to go through the extra step of using the MaxFlash Studio software to make an AtariMax image for XEX format files and then add that image to your The!Cart workbook. It's certainly not as easy as the drag-and-drop process of the Ultimate or Uno Carts.

Marius, I bought The Cart! and I like it too (I am waiting to receive it).

All games are available in xex format (apart atr ones and few exceptions).

You can also create 2 MB megacart compilations. I think it would be smart/cool if they created something that made it some easier to add xex files indeed. I have a collection of Arcade, Shooting Ups, Brain/Logical, Platform, Multiplayer, Demos (msx), Demos (intro) .. all as MegaCart projects. As always there is this learning curve. From scratch the Ultimate Card seems to have the best cards... but as soon as you learn more and get more experienced, you'll probably appreciate The!Cart better.

• Like 1

I am almost certain that this is true. You have to go through the extra step of using the MaxFlash Studio software to make an AtariMax image for XEX format files and then add that image to your The!Cart workbook. It's certainly not as easy as the drag-and-drop process of the Ultimate or Uno Carts.

True, but once you have setup your cart, this process is done.

• Like 2