IGNORED

I need an extraction!

Ed in SoDak

I hope somebody here can help. I'm trying to retrieve Harry Willhelm's Kwikfont program from this disk I found at WHT. It seems to be in V9T9 format, but I haven't figured out how to mount disk images yet so I need the individual files.

I can open and extract from TIFILES disks, but not this type. Can someone lend a hand?

Thanks in advance!

-Ed

BOX7033.DSK

WOW! Thank you both! I'd been trying with V9T9's utilities and FIAD Extractor, which usually works. Now I have the files and the method.

-Ed

FIAD Extractor does not work because it supports only V9T9 DSK images, BOX7033.DSK is a PC99 DSK image.

• Like 1

Hi Lucien, Thanks for both the clarification and for writing FIAD Extractor! It's been a godsend compared to how I used to do it, if indeed I could at all! I was able to convert individual V9T9 or TIFILES and that was about it till I had FIAD Extractor to work with disk images.

Since then, I become more familiar with emulating DOS and Windows on my Mac and finally I'm able to run programs like TI99Dir, Classic99 and others. For years I've kept some old DSK downloads around, but have never been able to open them. Now I know they must be PC99 DSK files and I can see if it was worth keeping them. ;)

-Ed

There's a stub on ninerpedia that tries to reconcile the two types:

https://www.ninerpedia.org/wiki/Formats#Disk_images_.28DSK.29

Bottom line is that V9T9 (sector dump) format is there because it was first... PC99 (track dump) format is more complete (including all track data), and IMHO, more widely used. Some emulators support either/or and some support both. When in doubt, PC99 .DSK format is the way to go.

It sure works a treat for me! A nice and tidy Mac Classic app, same as MacV9T9. Open a DSK image, save to a new folder named DSK1 to the desktop. Rename my previous DSK1 to DSK1whatever and drop in the new one. I have a couple dozen DSK1s to rename and put in use on the fly.

I have so few PC99 DSK files it would not be worth it when excellent alternatives exist for pc/win. I have to boot up a Windows emulator to use programs like TI99Dir or others, so FIAD Extractor is not one bit obsoleted on my system. I am your fanbase! :)

-Ed

I have so few PC99 DSK files it would not be worth it when excellent alternatives exist for pc/win. I have to boot up a Windows emulator to use programs like TI99Dir or others, so FIAD Extractor is not one bit obsoleted on my system. I am your fanbase! :)

TIImageTool runs directly on your Mac, given a current Java environment. I even did some tests on a Mac in our lab (I don't have it at home) to ensure it runs as expected. Is there something you are missing, or does it not serve your requirements?

Aw shucks, Opry! To run MacV9T9, you'll have to upgrade from your Mac Plus. I haven't tested FIAD Extractor on a Plus yet. ;)

I first came across MacV9T9 when I was using a Performa 636 with the LC040 chip and it ran perfectly, actually better than it does using Classic 9.2 under osX on a fast G4 PPC. From the ReadMe file:

>>>MacV9T9 - Read-Me
0.2.1a2 - 11/07/1999

Hello ! Thanks for your interest in MacV9T9. I advise you to read the first three paragraphs before running MacV9T9 for the first time.

Description :

MacV9T9 is a TI99/4A emulator for the Macintosh. It is based on V9T9 6 for PC (and to a lesser extent, on the new V9T9 in C - never released) by Ed Swartz.

System requirements :

MacV9T9 needs approximately 1 Mb of free memory. It requires system 7 and Color QuickDraw (and therefore a 68020). I am not sure it will work with system 7.0, or QuickDraw 8bits, since this was not tested. Furthermore, it seems that MacV9T9 is not fast enough on a 68020 or 68030 to be really useful.

(Nota : It should not be too difficult for me to make MacV9T9 work with system 6 or basic Quickdraw. But I won't do so unless I have reports that the speed is decent on 68020/68030 computers. (I might still do this, because it would be funny to have MacV9T9 run in vMac, which only emulates a Mac Plus...))

<<<

Edited by Ed in SoDak

TIImageTool runs directly on your Mac, given a current Java environment. I even did some tests on a Mac in our lab (I don't have it at home) to ensure it runs as expected. Is there something you are missing, or does it not serve your requirements?

Not as of yet on my G4 PPC. I have had issues getting a correct Java to work on that platform. The thread I started back in 2014 (linked to above by Lucien) goes into a lot more detail, and you were there to offer a bunch of help. It was good to revisit that thread and I jotted down some things to try. I know more about it all now than I did back in '14, but I'm still not up to speed on any of it.

-Ed

So it looks like it COULD run on my 6.0.8 Plus with regular QuickDraw... with some additional adjustments by the developer. :D

Im currently in the market for a G3 PowerMac with the floppy drive.... I plan to install OS9 on it and use it as a bridge machine for my Plus and the modern world. :)