Important news and I need some help.

126 replies to this topic

#101 Schmitzi OFFLINE  

Schmitzi

River Patroller

• 4,330 posts
  • ToXiC

Posted Sun Apr 15, 2018 1:47 PM

Just a hint: Wasn´t Freddy a program with copy protection ? Or is this a "clean" version ?

#102 Justin Payne OFFLINE  

Justin Payne

Dragonstomper

• 802 posts
  • Busy updating XEGS Podcast website to Angular2

Posted Thu Apr 19, 2018 7:29 AM

So, speaking of disk controllers to use with this thing, obtaining one seems like it's going to be somewhat of a challenge. I did find some schematics online, which would allow me to build my own. Before I take on that task, would it actually be worth it? Reason I ask is that the TI99 was really more of a cart based machine and it seems to me that obtaining that solution first would be a better starting point. I want to support the Gotek initiative but maybe I'm not in a good position to help with that at this time. Thoughts?

#103 mizapf OFFLINE  

mizapf

River Patroller

• 3,273 posts

Posted Thu Apr 19, 2018 8:37 AM

So, speaking of disk controllers to use with this thing, obtaining one seems like it's going to be somewhat of a challenge. I did find some schematics online, which would allow me to build my own. Before I take on that task, would it actually be worth it? Reason I ask is that the TI99 was really more of a cart based machine and it seems to me that obtaining that solution first would be a better starting point.

The cartridges of the TI are typically software-only. It is possible to put hardware beyond simple EPROMs inside, but typically you have to connect controllers as expansion cards in the P-Box. One simple reason: The cartridge port does not offer the address range that is used for the device drivers.

#104 sparkdrummer OFFLINE  

sparkdrummer

Dragonstomper

• 918 posts
  • Status? I don't need no stinkin' status!

Posted Thu May 10, 2018 5:00 AM

Attached File  DSC00028.JPG   436.26KB   4 downloads

Attached File  DSC00029.JPG   1.93MB   2 downloads

This is the device I have. Can it be used with this software? Is so, is there a quick run down on what to do?

Can these be setup as drive 1?

I'm thinking one of these would be pretty cool hanging on a Corcomp MES.

Sorry if I seem confused or stupid... because the fact is I am.

#105 RickyDean OFFLINE  

RickyDean

Dragonstomper

• 872 posts

Posted Thu May 10, 2018 5:58 AM

attachicon.gifDSC00028.JPG

attachicon.gifDSC00029.JPG

This is the device I have. Can it be used with this software? Is so, is there a quick run down on what to do?

Sparkdrummer there are some threads with info about the Gotek. Start here http://atariage.com/...ek#entry4002470

at post #9 

Also running a search will help. There may be more than one option, but the one I used was to buy a Gotek from eBay, then purchase the bootloader from Jeff who sells the HxC and a I2C usb cable and burn in the bootloader into the Gotek and then use .hfe files produced on your computer

#106 sparkdrummer OFFLINE  

sparkdrummer

Dragonstomper

• 918 posts

Posted Thu May 10, 2018 6:01 AM

It was my understanding that there was new software that used .dsk files, not hfe?

#107 RickyDean OFFLINE  

RickyDean

Dragonstomper

• 872 posts

Posted Thu May 10, 2018 6:06 AM

It was my understanding that there was new software that used .dsk files, not hfe?

I haven't gotten that far yet, just got my Geneve working again, but I think it is mentioned in on of those threads. Sorry I can't help more.  :(

#108 FDOS OFFLINE  

FDOS

Chopper Commander

• 191 posts

Posted Thu May 10, 2018 10:46 AM

attachicon.gifDSC00028.JPG

attachicon.gifDSC00029.JPG

This appears to be the same model of Gotek that I have, but so far I have not been able to make any of my ,dsk files work with it.  It may be that all  my .dsk files are 80 track DSDD created with TI99Dir or from MESS/MAME Geneve emulator years ago.  Because the only DSK controllers I've used since the late 1980's are Myarc 80 track DSDD FDC/HFDC.  The HFDCC mostly used with my two Geneves, so DSHD physical files are also numerous (only a few DSHD .dsk files). What I need to know, is what is the latest FF version?

#109 klrw111-78 OFFLINE  

klrw111-78

Space Invader

• 40 posts

Posted Thu May 10, 2018 2:05 PM

Edited by klrw111-78, Thu May 10, 2018 4:14 PM.

#110 klrw111-78 OFFLINE  

klrw111-78

Space Invader

• 40 posts

Posted Thu May 10, 2018 2:11 PM

Yes, Im using the new version with .dsk images in both 90k and 180k format with TI SD disk controller. I had to set the Gotek up to work with TI99 images as specified in the Hxc Gotek docs. Menu 0 and Menu 1 settings

#111 Sinphaltimus OFFLINE  

Sinphaltimus

River Patroller

• Topic Starter
  • 2,499 posts
  • Distracted at the Keyboard

Posted Fri May 11, 2018 5:03 AM

You can purchased HxC or you can give Flashfloppy a go.

HxC:

http://hxc2001.com/store/index.html

FF:

https://github.com/keirf/FlashFloppy

#112 FDOS OFFLINE  

FDOS

Chopper Commander

• 191 posts

Posted Sat May 12, 2018 11:53 AM

You can purchased HxC or you can give Flashfloppy a go.

HxC:

http://hxc2001.com/store/index.html

FF:

https://github.com/keirf/FlashFloppy

Not having ever done this, how does one perform the update?  My Gotek came with flashfloppy_v0.9.18a.upd installed, and I just down-loaded flashfloppy_v0.9.19a.upd

#113 sparkdrummer OFFLINE  

sparkdrummer

Dragonstomper

• 918 posts

Posted Sun May 13, 2018 6:08 AM

i have a GOTEK rigged up. I can catalog disks but I cannot format one. If I try to delete files, they will not delete. I cannot reset a disk using Disk Utilities. I tried loading a basic file (XB) and I get an I/O ERROR 02. Have I configured something wrong?

#114 sparkdrummer OFFLINE  

sparkdrummer

Dragonstomper

• 918 posts

Posted Sun May 13, 2018 6:46 AM

Never mind - Had the jumper set up wrong. 

#115 sparkdrummer OFFLINE  

sparkdrummer

Dragonstomper

• 918 posts

Posted Sun May 13, 2018 9:07 AM

Damn - cannot write to disk. FFCFG write protect is set to no.

#116 Jeff_HxC2001 OFFLINE  

Jeff_HxC2001

Chopper Commander

• 106 posts

Posted Sun May 13, 2018 11:58 AM

With the HxC firmware you can use both in read & write mode.

#117 sparkdrummer OFFLINE  

sparkdrummer

Dragonstomper

• 918 posts

Posted Sun May 13, 2018 12:10 PM

Jeff_HxC2001 - 

Thank you. I did not know that. I really have no need for an Hxc but thought it would be novel to use a Gotek on one of my Corcomp MES systems. I can probably get by with disks that I can only read from. Thank you for this software - it appears to work pretty darn good. The funny thing thus far is some disks will load software into the TI and some give me the error code listed above. I'm assuming its the way the disks were formatted? I'm having some pretty good fun playing with this.

#118 Sinphaltimus OFFLINE  

Sinphaltimus

River Patroller

• Topic Starter
  • 2,499 posts
  • Distracted at the Keyboard

Posted Sun May 13, 2018 6:44 PM

Not having ever done this, how does one perform the update?  My Gotek came with flashfloppy_v0.9.18a.upd installed, and I just down-loaded flashfloppy_v0.9.19a.upd

Everything is explained in a lot of detail from the Flashfloppy website (upgrading etc...).

#119 FDOS OFFLINE  

FDOS

Chopper Commander

• 191 posts

Posted Thu Jun 21, 2018 6:09 PM

Everything is explained in a lot of detail from the Flashfloppy website (upgrading etc...).

Finally got my GOTEK working with my DSDD 80 track files.  I can copy files both ways using DM2K.  Nice. :)

#120 x24b OFFLINE  

x24b

Star Raider

• 91 posts

Posted Thu Jun 28, 2018 2:00 PM

Can someone please provide a primer on this subject?

I may not be the only rusty or newbie person lurking here.

I'm just getting back into the 99/4A and have the giant PEB with 2 disk drives.

I have not set it up yet, so I can't remember if they are single or double sided or what density.

I might like to upgrade the PEB with one of these, replacing one of the drives when I dust it off, clean all of the connectors, check the cables and test it.

I have purchased a FinalGROM99 cartridge and it would seem to do some of what is talked about here.

Set me straight...

1. The firmware upgrade on the GOTEK flashfloppy drive allows the use of the SD card and USB version as a replacement for a floppy drive with a layout of SSSD, DSSD, SSDD, DSDD?

2. Would one need this setup still if they have the FinalGROM99?

3. Can you use funnelweb with it?

4. Is it working with all/most software now?

etc...

Thanks for listening.

SD HxC Floppy Emulator RevF 001 crop
GOTEK - 2 segment LED Screen floppy emulator
GOTEK - 3 segment LED floppy emulator
GOTEK - LED Screen floppy emulator

#121 BeeryMiller OFFLINE  

BeeryMiller

Moonsweeper

• 445 posts

Posted Fri Jun 29, 2018 5:16 AM

The Gotek will only work as DS/DD if your controller supports DS/DD.  What disk controller do you have in your PEBox?

#122 x24b OFFLINE  

x24b

Star Raider

• 91 posts

Posted Fri Jun 29, 2018 1:46 PM

The Gotek will only work as DS/DD if your controller supports DS/DD.  What disk controller do you have in your PEBox?

Memories are bubbling up... Double Sided, Double Density was my deepest desire back in the day. So my controller must be just shy of that. I can remember notching the disks by hand (so... SS). I remember the disk controller was a stock TI controller, but it might have had a very simple mod made to it... if that helps. Maybe SS/DD?

I know the stock TI controller, without a mod, was SS/SD.

I won't know for sure until I get it up and running. THAT will take some time, thus the question now, before starting the work.

Will the Gotek work with the stock TI controller? It must then be limited to SS/SD.

#123 --- Ω --- OFFLINE  

--- Ω ---

--- Ω ---

• 12,332 posts

Posted Fri Jun 29, 2018 2:02 PM

If it works like the Lotharek, the only limitation is the controller. So a stock controller should give your gadget 180K DSSD or 360K DSSD with the 80 track mod.

** EDIT **

80 Track Modification Information  << HERE >>

Edited by --- Ω ---, Fri Jun 29, 2018 4:55 PM.

#124 BeeryMiller OFFLINE  

BeeryMiller

Moonsweeper

• 445 posts

Posted Fri Jun 29, 2018 2:31 PM

Do not confuse a 360K DS/DD disk (40 tracks) with a 360K DS/DD (80 track) image.  They are different.  A TI Controller will not recognize a DS/DD disk.

As far as your disk drives, if you had two in your system, they were likely two drives, DS/DD.  If you had a Myarc FDC with the appropriate 80 track eprom or a Myarc HFDC, then you could get a 720K disk.  Only if you had a Geneve could the Myarc FDC, Myarc HFDC, or CorComp FDC get 80 tracks without a modified eprom on the card.

If you get the time and can identify the card, and post a photograh of any mod(s) to the card, someone should be able to tell you what your limits are.

Beery

#125 x24b OFFLINE  

x24b

Star Raider

• 91 posts

Posted Fri Jun 29, 2018 2:45 PM

If you get the time and can identify the card, and post a photograh of any mod(s) to the card, someone should be able to tell you what your limits are.

Beery

Wilco! Photos will land here with description. Thanks!

It will have to be next week though. The entire family is going on a road trip!

If it works like the Lotharek, the only limitation is the controller. So a stock controller should give your gadget 180K DSSD or 360K DSSD with the 80 track mod.

Thank you both. I'm very interested in this. To be continued...

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users