IGNORED

Programs that require sep. Antic access...

Since this topic turns up at AA forum frequently, here are some programs (that I know) that do require 128k RAM and separate Antic access, compatible to the 130XE:

- The [sparta DOS] Wedge by Ed Bachman [tool/application]

- Video Blitz by Helvetica Bold [demo]

(patched version available by HiasSoft, that does NOT require sep. Antic access)

- TL Cars by T.L. [game]

(patched version available by Homesoft that does not require sep. Antic access)

- Gr.8 RGB picture show by MetalGuy, originally on a 16 MB ATR image [demo/slideshow]

(patched version available by me: a) unpacked on five 130k disks with sep. Antic access and min. 128k RAM and b) RLE-packed on four 130k disks without sep. Antic access and min. 64k RAM)

- AD 6502: Arsantica 2 by Desire [demo]

Afaik, there are more programs that do require 128k RAM and separate Antic access, but I do not remember them atm. If you know more programs, just list them here. Maybe the (rather short) list of these programs could be even included in the A8FAQ somewhere...

• Like 4

Apparently you can include A special edition of Atariwriter+ XE for Omniview 80 that requires it, however the normal 40 column Atariwriter+ XE works fine on extended memory XL's. Though it should probably be noted when it's a modified version and that unmodified versions still work fine without an XE.

And also Ansartica 2 will run on my Rambo 256K, it just has some glitches during the fractal landscape part.

Edited by Gunstar

Apparently you can include A special edition of Atariwriter+ XE for Omniview 80 that requires it, however the normal 40 column Atariwriter+ XE works fine on extended memory XL's. Though it should probably be noted when it's a modified version and that unmodified versions still work fine without an XE.

And also Ansartica 2 will run on my Rambo 256K, it just has some glitches during the fractal landscape part.

I designed Arsantica 2 in Fractal part to use the separated ANTIC/CPU access so if my memory is right data which CPU reads is at $4000-$7fff while frame buffers are there as well at $4000-$7xxx. the glitches are not intensional. :D but I was aware of.

at that stage I really liked the idea of 2 "CPUs" using same RAM aera.

Edited by Heaven/TQA
  • Like 1

Alright then,

here is the updated list of programs that do require 128k RAM and separate Antic access:

01) AD6502: Arsantica 2 by Desire [demo]

02) Apple II Emulator by Piotr "Artax" Mejer [tool/application]

03) Atariwriter+ XE for Omniview 80 by Atari & Newell Industries [tool/application]

(modified version of AW+, especially made for Omniview 80 by Newell)

04) Gr.8 RGB picture show by MetalGuy [demo/slideshow]

05) TL-Cars by T.L. [game]

06) Video Blitz by Helvetica Bold [demo]

07) (The) Wedge by Ed Bachman [tool/application]

So we have 3 demos, 3 tools/applications and 1 game atm that do require sep. Antic.

Edited by CharlieChaplin

Apparently you can include A special edition of Atariwriter+ XE for Omniview 80 that requires it, however the normal 40 column Atariwriter+ XE works fine on extended memory XL's.

I would be really intrigued to see this, if a copy exists (or ever existed). I'm expecting the performance to suck, but even if it doesn't, it'll still be interesting to look at.

• Like 1

I would be really intrigued to see this, if a copy exists (or ever existed). I'm expecting the performance to suck, but even if it doesn't, it'll still be interesting to look at.

HueyJones70 (?) has a copy, that's how I found out about it, over at the Sector.

Gato ?

Hmmm, the cart. is an 1Mbit/128k ROM which works on 64k machines. The XEX file version by Fandal requires 128k RAM, but I do not think the XEX requires sep. Antic, because a) Fandal does not mention this and b) when I set the emulator to 1088k Rambo (which does not support sep. Antic) it seemed to work fine, meaning it started and I could configure the options, etc. (but I did not play the game, so it might be possible it crashes somewhere in the game). Maybe someone who likes submarine simulations (and is a better player there than me) could playtest the XEX fileversion of Gato fully and report if it works fine without sep. Antic access ?!?

Edited by CharlieChaplin

I had expected more app & games rely on 130XE???so in 80s it was well knew that RAM expansions are more likely not to have that separate access feature?

Well, many A8 programs (demos, applications/tools, games) do support or even require 128k RAM, but very few of them do also require sep. Antic access...

Edited by CharlieChaplin

TL Cars runs perfectly fine, not even a glitch anywhere, on my 1200XL Rambo. I thought I'd played it before and just verified it works now. Where did the idea come from that it only works on 100% compatible XE extended memory?

Never mind, I didn't see it in the initial list, before, where it says there's a patched version...

Edited by Gunstar

• 5 years later...

Newer list of programs that do require sep. Antic access:

01) AD6502: Arsantica 2 by Desire [demo] (fractal part)

02) Apple II Emulator by Piotr "Artax" Mejer [tool/application]

03) Atariwriter+ XE for Omniview 80 by Atari & Newell Industries [tool/application]

(modified version of AW+, especially made for Omniview 80 by Newell)

04) Gr.8 RGB picture show by MetalGuy [demo/slideshow] (slideshow program)

05) TL-Cars by T.L. [game]

06) Video Blitz by Helvetica Bold [demo]

07) (The) Wedge by Ed Bachman [tool/application] (format option!)

08) Kompleks K-12 [game-Teaser] by Bocianu (320k Compyshop)

09) State of the Slayer [demo] by X-Men

10) ???  (one more program, but I always forget its name...)

So in almost 40 years (130XE released in 1985) we do have 10 programs that utilize sep. Antic access.

While most programs work with 128K RAM, one program even requires 320K RAM.

NOTE: There also exist patched versions (by Homesoft, HiasSoft and others) of some of the mentioned programs above, that do work without sep. Antic access (e.g. TL-Cars, Video-Blitz and RGB-slideshow).

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

9 hours ago, CharlieChaplin said:

So in almost 40 years (130XE released in 1985) we do have 10 programs that utilize sep. Antic access.

While most programs work with 128K RAM, one program even requires 320K RAM.

Well now that I see this updated list (thank you) I don't see anything that I'd miss with only a RAMBO memory expansion on a 64K machine.

Things would've probably been different if the 130XE was the first 8-bit out of the gate, instead of nearly the last (exception being the XEGS).

I'm pretty sure the list for apps that require 1MB is even more sparse ;)

• Like 1