IGNORED

Do we have the source code to The Missing Link 2?

jedimatt42

Greg likes to point at that stuff doesn't work with TIPI... so the new one is TML.

bu

TML documentation says it performs something equivalent to CALL FILES on startup, but TIPI doesn't use VDP buffers, so it has no CALL FILES equivalent. And, if it did, that would be in the way of anything using the real CALL FILES... unless its implementation was complete. But I'm not really sure what call files does... besides change the value of a pointer in memory...

I'm wondering if I can just modify the TML loader to not require this...

-M@

Well this is the CALL FILES from RXB 2015:

LINKT4 DATA >C010
       STRI 'FILES'           FILES
       DATA $+2
       CALL COMB              (
       CALL CLSALL            Close all open files
       CALL RXBFIL            Set files
       BR   RXBNEW            Go do a NEW
RXBFIL CALL SUBLP3            Get Files value
       DCZ  @FAC              Zero?
       BS   ERRBV             Yes, BAD VALUE error
       DCHE 16,@FAC           16 or more to high
       BS   ERRBV             Yes, BAD VALUE error
       CEQ  RPARZ,@CHAT       )?
       BR   ERRSYN            SYNTAX ERROR 
       XML  PGMCHR            Skip )
       DCLR @FAC2             Clear         
       ST   @FAC1,@FAC2       Load file value
       DST  >0116,V@VROAZ     Set files buffer space
       CALL DSKDSR           
       RTN
COMB   CEQ  LPARZ,@CHAT       If not '(' - error
       BR   ERRSYN
       RTN
CLSALL DST  @IOSTRT,@PABPTR   Start at beginning of chain
       DCZ  @IOSTRT           Continue until done
       BR   CLSAZ0
       RTN                    And return
RXBNEW CLR  V@LODFLG          Clear AUTOLOAD flag
       CALL CLSALL
       B    SZNEW
SUBLP3 CALL NUMFCH
       CALL CFIFCH
       RTN
STRFCH XML  PGMCHR
       XML  PARSE
       BYTE RPARZ
       RTN
NUMFCH CALL STRFCH
       CEQ  >65,@FAC2
       BS   ERRSNM      * STRING NUM MISMATCH
       RTN
DSKDSR DCHE 256,@VAR0     *
       BR   DSRDSS        *
       ADD  >10,@VROAZ+1  *
DSRDSS DST  VROAZ,@FAC12  *
       CALL LINK          *
       BYTE >0A           *
       ST   @ERCODE,@VAR2 *
       SRL  4,@FAC6       *
       CZ   @FAC6         *
       BR   ERRFE         *
       CEQ  >20,@VAR2     *
       BS   ERRFE         *
       RTN                *
*----------------------------------------------------------
* Add the following line for fixing "MEMORY FULL" error
* occurring during MERGE execution will leave the file open
* to disk DSR bug, 5/19/81
SZNEW  CLR  V@MRGPAB          Initialize merged temporary
*                              for PAB pointer
*----------------------------------------------------------
       ST   RSTK,@SUBSTK      Load base of subroutine stack
       CALL CHRTA2            Load character table
       CLR  @FLAG             Initialize flag byte
       DCLR @BUFLEV           Initialize crunch buffer leve
       CALL CLSALL            Close all open files
       CLR  @DATA             Initialize READ/DATA pointer
       DST  VRAMVS,@VSPTR     Initialize base of value stac
       DST  @VSPTR,@STVSPT    Save in permanent base
       DST  @VSPTR,V@SAVEVP
       CALL INITPG            Initialize program & s.t.
       CALL INTRND            Initialize random number
       CZ   V@LODFLG
       BS   TOPL02            If need auto-boot
* RXB PATCH CODE *************
*      CLR  V@LODFLG          Won't ever need to do again
       BR   G63D0
  • Like 1

TML documentation says it performs something equivalent to CALL FILES on startup, but TIPI doesn't use VDP buffers, so it has no CALL FILES equivalent. And, if it did, that would be in the way of anything using the real CALL FILES... unless its implementation was complete. But I'm not really sure what call files does... besides change the value of a pointer in memory...

My suspicion:

TML could be expecting the 5 byte validation header and/or the last filename to be located in VDP, with the 8370 pointer set accordingly. This can be particularly obnoxious when trying to eliminate any VDP dsr dependencies, especially when no disk controller is in the system. I ran into a similar situation with the Horizon ROS.

If TIPI doesn't manage this during its powerup sequence TML could be getting lost during its attempt to do its own call files, which most likely is also reserving VDP space for its routines and limiting its use by XB.

And if TIPI is not doing anything in VDP ram to 'mimic' a disk controller, you may run into this issue with a few other programs down the road. Fortunately, it doesn't happen too often beyond the occasional boot tracking routine or, as in the case of FunnelWeb, 'smart' VDP buffer management routines.

Might help to also consider how Tursi and Rasmus handle VDP in Classic99 and js99er, if it is indeed the root cause.

Edited by InsaneMultitasker

I'm in awe of the ingenuity and crap'storm it creates :)

I think it is just the TML loader that is causing me grief... And I'll never care about supporting FunnelWeb... Use google docs or office 365.

Somewhere there has to be the file that goes with : CALL LOAD("????.TML2/O") instead of magic embedded machine code at the end of fragile BASIC program images.

It is inappropriate for 'not-a-floppy-controller' to mess with the floppy controllers buffers. So I'm not going to. If there is software that requires a floppy controller, you just won't be able to run it from an ONLY TIPI system.

I'm going to have to press hard that TIPI provides zero floppy emulation. It may load files with floppy like paths.. but doesn't emulate a floppy controller.

For TML, I'm sure an alternative loader can be created.

-M@

Might help to also consider how Tursi and Rasmus handle VDP in Classic99 and js99er, if it is indeed the root cause.

When FILES are called, JS99er is just setting the pointer at >8370, and status byte (?) at >8350. I have probably copied this from Classic99.

memory.writeWord(0x8370, 0x4000 - nFiles * 0x2B8);

memory.writeWord(0x8350, memory.readWord(0x8350) & 0x00FF);

Edited by Asmusr
  • Like 1

If TML is indeed calling CALL FILES(1) via the DSR routine, and then modifying 0x8370 to reserve VDP for the screen/bitmap/whatever buffers, this is totally acceptable and within documented standards. So a CALL LOAD to 0x8370 might be enough to replace the CALL LINK, provided you know how much extra VDP space TML needs and can compute that value so XB knows what to do. (Senior Falcon probably has this memorized ;) )

I do agree re: not messing with the floppy controller buffers. Beyond that, what TIPI does or does not do with respect to 0x8370 and VDP is your prerogative. Just don't expect programs that take advantage of this construct to work successfully if TIPI is not providing a simple call files routine and/or managing 0x8370, particularly when it is alone in the system and acting similar to a disk controller.

I cited Funnelweb as an example of a program that is 'smarter' than TML but may still get into trouble if there is no recognizable disk or hard disk controller in place to manage 0x8370, which until now has been a fairly solid expectation and requirement for real systems. For the record, Funnelweb is not a word processor, though an editor is one of its components.

• Like 1

The number you show there is when a floppy drive controller is NOT present, otherwise it would read 11,840 bytes of stack space.

Yes, he's running TIPI without VDP disk buffers. :) This is the battle I went through with Classic99.

Ultimatey, to work with some software, you need CALL FILES to do something appropriate, you need to update >8370, and you need to set up the VDP Buffer header at the address >8370 points to (if nothing else, the pCode card will crash if you don't). You don't actually need to use VDP for anything else, and my testing with Classic99 so far ONLY found the pCode card to require you to use VDP for anything (including that header), but if you don't set the VDP size to the same sizes that the TI Disk Controller does, then programs which are saved from BASIC or XB which fit in VDP RAM on the TIPI system might not be able to load on a TI using a TI Disk Controller.

In BASIC, it's just purely the amount of free memory. But in XB it's a little more insidious -- XB saves as a PROGRAM image if it fits in VDP RAM (even with 32k available), so having more VDP available than a TI disk controller system creates an incompatible file. (RXB made the change in his system that RXB /always/ saves in the record based format, so wouldn't have that problem).

(edit: some software, not most software)

Edited by Tursi
  • Like 4

Ok... So, hopefully, if my powerup routine sets these values up to normal FDC waste level, then I won't create a situation where TIPI users are creating software that won't run on TIFDCs. That has value.

And, looking at SECTION I: DSR ARCHITECTURE PG 127, the TIFDC CALL FILES doesn't appear to interact with the floppy controller at all. So it is strictly manipulating this stack reservation. So If I implement it and someone calls mine instead of their floppy controller's it shouldn't cause a problem with their floppy controller, unless CC or Myarc controllers do something additional.

My worry is that as I am not the floppy controller, I shouldn't prevent the floppy controller's call files from being called. A traditional DSRLNK will find me first in a co-existance scenario.

I would enjoy enabling something as developer oriented as TML2 to still work.

-M@

With XB and 32K what numbers are returned when you type SIZE?

What Greg said :)

---

Question: what does TML2 actually expect of the system?

Does it expect to be able to perform a DSRLNK to invoke CALL FILES? Or does it expect my controller is at CRUBASE 1100 and my FDB reservation code is at >4658? I ask, since it is asking what kind of controller I am using... and 'neither' isn't an option.

I don't usually run TIPI at CRUBASE 1100.

-M@

This is the code in TML that has the information you need. Hope it helps.

***HIMEMORY PART OF BIT-MAPPED BASIC-

AORG >8330
       DATA >E2E7,>E2E7   FIX LINE # TABLE POINTERS

AORG >205A
       B @LOOKUP       DOCTOR UP UTILITIES TO LOOK UP NAMES

AORG >E2E8     HM part of TML GOES HERE

LOOKUP LI R1,TABST     \
LOOKU1 CI R1,HMWS
       JHE LOOKU4
       MOV R1,R0
       LI R2,>834A
       C *R0+,*R2+
       JNE LOOKU3
       C *R0+,*R2+      LOOKS UP NAME IN NEW REF/DEF TABLE & EXECUTES IF FOUND
       JNE LOOKU3
       C *R0+,*R2+
       JNE LOOKU3
       MOV *R0+,R0
       B *R0
LOOKU3 AI R1,8
       JMP LOOKU1
LOOKU4 MOV @>2004,R1   FIX SO "REAL" LOOKUP CAN HAPPEN
       B @>205E        /

TABST  TEXT 'MULTI '
       DATA MULTI
       TEXT 'MONO  '
       DATA MONO
       TEXT 'FILES '
       DATA FILES
       TEXT 'LOWHI '
       DATA LOWHI
       TEXT 'HILOW '
       DATA HILOW

HMWS   BSS 32            WORKSPACE FOR BASIC PROGRAMS

********************************************************************************
*CALL LINK("MULTI",FOREGROUND,BACKGROUND) SETS TO MULTICOLOR SCREEN
********************************************************************************

MULTI  LWPI HMWS
       LI R0,>1800       BOTTOM OF STACK FOR MULTICHROMATIC SCREEN
       JMP MONO1

*CALL LINK("MONO",FOREGROUND,BACKGROUND) SETS TO MONOCHROME

MONO   LWPI HMWS        LOAD BASIC WORKSPACE
       LI R0,>0958       Can't be lower -might wipe out stack if continue
MONO1  MOV R0,@BOTSTK    SETS THE POINTER TO THE BOTTOM OF THE STACK

BITMA7 LI R0,MONITR      MONITR IS ADDRESS OF MONITOR PROGRAM
       MOV R0,@>83C4     START UP MONITOR PROGRAM ON INTERRUPT*
*this does the assembly equivalent of call files, then moves some pointers
       MOVB @NFILES+1,@>834C  834C gets the # of files in MSB

LI R0,>03E8       Unused area of VDP RAM
       LI R1,HMWS+6      R3-R5 used
       LI R2,5           5 bytes to write (only need 2 here next)
       LI R3,>0116       opcode for Allocate Disk Buffer Space
       BLWP @VMBW        Write PAB

MOV R0,@>8356     >8356 gets address of PAB
       BLWP @DSRLNK
       DATA >000A        a subprogram

MOV @>8370,R0     Get pointer to top of memory
       INC R0            points to 5 byte header
       BLWP @VMBR        read the header
       AI R0,>E210       Where we want the buffers put
       BLWP @VMBW        write the 5 byte header
       DEC R0            points to top of memory
       MOV R0,@>8370     doctor Scratch pad pointer

AI R0,>C006       Because VDP is auto incrementing don't have to set add.
       CLR R8            Going to write a Zero
BITMA2 MOVB R8,@>8C00    CLEAR OUT THE REST OF VDP RAM OVER DISK INFORMATION
       INC R0
       JNE BITMA2

LI R0,>C060       \
       MOV R0,@>205A      DOCTOR UP THE LOOK UP TABLE TO ORIGINAL FORM
       LI R0,>2004
       MOV R0,@>205C     /

LI R0,>FFE7       \
       MOV R0,@>8330      Reset basic program pointers
       MOV R0,@>8332     /

LI R0,>5000       Turn Off sprite motion & quit key
       MOVB R0,@>83C2

JMP FILES1

*CALL LINK("FILES") - A program to do the same thing as "CALL FILES(N)"

FILES  LWPI HMWS        Set workspace
       BLWP @GETNUM      Get number of files to be opened
       DATA >0011        One number to retrieve, no optional #s
       DATA >0103        Number is to be from 1 to 3
       INC R4            Needed because GETNUM decrements it
       MOV R4,@NFILES    Store number for future use
FILES1 LWPI >83E0        Return to Extended BASIC
       B @>006A

LOWHI  LWPI HMWS         \
       LI R0,>2002
       LI R1,>E4D0
       MOV *R0+,*R1+
       MOV *R0+,*R1+      Moves BITMAPPED BASIC from lowmenor to high memory
       LI R0,>24F4
LOWHI1 MOV *R0+,*R1+
       CI R0,>4000
       JLT LOWHI1
       JMP FILES1        /

HILOW  LWPI HMWS         \
       LI R0,>2002
       LI R1,>E4D0
       MOV *R1+,*R0+
       MOV *R1+,*R0+      Moves BITMAPPED BASIC from himemory to low memory
       LI R0,>24F4
HILOW1 MOV *R1+,*R0+
       CI R0,>4000
       JLT HILOW1
       JMP FILES1        /

*There are about 158 bytes left for extra stuff

RORG

• Like 4

My worry is that as I am not the floppy controller, I shouldn't prevent the floppy controller's call files from being called. A traditional DSRLNK will find me first in a co-existance scenario.

Yeah, that's one place that emulation was able to cheat a bit -- Classic99 knows if there is a TI controller installed, and if there is, it lets that code handle the CALL FILES call.

If not, it updates the pointer and VDP like so:

int nTop = 0x3def - (256+256+6)*n - 5 - 1;  // should be 0x37d7 with 3 files
debug_write("Setting top of VRAM to >%04X (%d files)", nTop, n);
WriteMemoryByte(0x8370, (nTop>>&0xff, false);
WriteMemoryByte(0x8371, nTop&0xff, false);
// set up the header for disk buffers - P-Code Card crashes with Stack Overflow without these
VDP[++nTop] = 0xaa;  // valid header
VDP[++nTop] = 0x3f;  // top of VRAM, MSB
VDP[++nTop] = 0xff;  // top of VRAM, LSB (TODO: CF7 will change top of VRAM value by 6 bytes)
VDP[++nTop] = 0x11;  // CRU of this disk controller
VDP[++nTop] = n;  // number of files

The hard coded starting offset covers the structures the disk controller uses, and the multiplier 'n' is the number of disk buffers, from 1-9. The "- 5 - 1" was clearly meant to be documenting something, but I didn't write it down. :/

The 5 bytes written to VDP is the structure the disk controller maintains at the beginning of the buffers - it uses that as a starting point for its operations. The pCode card blindly assumes it will be there, otherwise nothing I've run into so far checks for it. (Some software has been caught reaching into the buffers themselves, but it's uncommon enough that I don't support that myself).

If you run before the disk controller and blindly change >8370, the disk controller will then change it again for you, and reserve even more memory. (If you run after it, life's easy cause you can just check, but then you can't override its names). It's a bit awful, but you COULD write a little scratchpad routine that turns TIPI off, turns on >1100, and checks for a disk controller FILES subprogram. If it finds it, do nothing, if not, set up the memory yourself. I'd recommend searching for the SBR program (byte >16, rather than the name 'FILES') since it's just one byte...

Just some thoughts, good luck!

Edited by Tursi
  • Like 3

Actually, holding my ground a little bit :) and compromising a little bit...

I'll fix up my powerup routine if it is running on CRUBASE >1100. That should be all that is necessary for this issue and compatibility. If you run the TIPI on >1000 or any base not >1100 ( the reserved floppy base ), then there will be no buffer setup by TIPI, so it can be completely left to the actual floppy controller.

I have tested that if my TIFDC is in, and it's power up routine runs, then loading TML2 stuff from TIPI works fine...

there is a set of jumpers on the board to select >1000 - >1F00. I'll ship the sideport boards set for >1100.

Time to erase some eproms :)

-M@

• Like 1

Ok, Implementing the powerup routine fixed the 'size' setting. TML is not happy with me not having the >16 level 2 routine available to it to free up over 1k of stack space. Basically performing CALL FILES(1), as everyone said I'd need to do :)

"Software Specification For The 99/4 Disk Peripheral" documents the buffer layout... 256 (for FDC) + 256(sector buffer) + 6 (legacy unused by TIFDC but left in out of fear) - Section 7.4

The 5 accounts for the 5 bytes at what you've (Tursi) identified as nTop + 1. and

The -1, I think because the vdp stack pointer points to the first free byte.

I have read this a couple years ago when I waiting to have a TI... Oddly Fred's awesome Level 2 IO documentation doesn't cover >16. Since HDX also doesn't do that.

http://aa-ti994a.oratronik.de/GPL_Interface_Specification_for_the_99_4_Disk_Peripheral_V2_0_03_28_1983.pdf

(I'm always thrown by Texas Instruments use of the term GPL to include all the machine code with interfaces meant to be called by GPL code)

-M@

• Like 1

I get gruff about some of this stuff... probably because it all destroys a little bit of the romanticize view I had of the 4A.

But it works!

If TIPI is running at same CRUBASE as a TIFDC, the TIPI powerup routine will set the file buffers to 3...

If Level 2 routine >16 is run, and TIPI is at the TIFDC CRUBASE, then it will handle it and adjust the file buffers.

If Level 2 routine >16 is run, and TIPI is NOT at the TIFDC CRUBASE, then it returns 0 without incrementing the return address, so a good DSRLNK moves on the find the real floppy controller's routines.

TMLDEMO now works in both situations!

THANKS!!! You all have been very constructive and helpful!

Now I should also implement the "CALL FILES(x)" version with the same conditions as >16

-M@

• Like 4

Nice approach!

Not that it matters much for TIPI at the moment, even the Geneve is required to muck around and set up a fake VDP header during its powerup. :_( (...and writes too many bytes in the process).

HAA    BYTE >AA,>3F,>FF,>11,>03   VDP RAM HEADER FOR FLOPPY
LI   R1,>37D7     THIS WILL HAVE TO BE PATCHED TO CHECK FOR /4A MODE
       MOV  R1,@>8370
       INC  R1
       LI   R7,HAA       R7 POINTS TO HEADER
       ORI  R1,>4000
       SWPB R1
       MOVB R1,@>8C02
       SWPB R1
       MOVB R1,@>8C02
       LI   R1,10
PISS1  MOVB *R7+,@>8C00