IGNORED

Genesis controllers

Sapicco

So I recently dug out a bunch of old controllers, and much to my surprise the buttons dont work on most of them. The ones that do work I have to press down very hard for them to respond. Are these salvageable or should I just buy a few new ones? If new ones are the way to go, anyone have any recommendations where to grab a few good ones?

So I recently dug out a bunch of old controllers, and much to my surprise the buttons dont work on most of them. The ones that do work I have to press down very hard for them to respond. Are these salvageable or should I just buy a few new ones? If new ones are the way to go, anyone have any recommendations where to grab a few good ones?

There are repair kits you can buy that replace the rubber bits inside the controller.

Where can I buy rubber kits? Ill check YouTube for a video explaining how to clean conductive pad.

https://www.mortoffgames.com/sega-genesis-2/repair-and-replacement-parts124/controller-repair-parts215

I've used their pads on nes and snes replacements. All are pretty good quality.

Yours probably just need a cleaning. Rubbing alcohol and some qtips is all you need.

Always a good rule of thumb: refurbish first, replace as a last resort. The Genesis joypads probably just have a lot of gunk built up over the years... a thorough cleaning should get them back in shape. Might not be a bad idea to remove the PCB and clean the plastic parts in soap and water, taking care to thoroughly dry them before putting the circuit board back into the shell.