IGNORED

Atari 800 Dig Dug vs XE ver?

darkman

I was reading some posts around here, and I read something about Dig Dug. How the Atari 400/800 cart sucked and how the XE release of the same game was improved. Could someone confirm this? Could they also explain what was changed?

I always thought that all the "XE" titles that already had been released as 400/800 carts were nothing more than new packageing. Is this true in some cases? Or are all "XE" titles that were released as 400/800 carts before enhanced in some way?

Could someone also shed some light on the subject of cart lables changing?

I am confused. :)

Thanks in advance,

darkman

Yes and no. It's not the Atari 400/800 and XE versions that are different, its the 400/800 and 5200 versions. Even though they were basically the same system, there are a few games that differ between the systems (Dig Dug, Qix, and Centipede come to mind).

Now back to your question about Dig Dug. There are two different versions for the Atari 400/800. There is no way to tell them from the outside, you have to plug them in and see. The earlier version was the original 400/800 Dig Dug and used large characters and had crappier gameplay (although the characters were more detailed). The later version is actually a port of the 5200 version and looks and plays alot better.

Tempest

Archived