IGNORED

TI-REX - New running game for TI-99, Dinorunne Chrome clone.

gekido_ken

HI!
I'm come back!

This time I want to present my first compiled game.

TI-REX, inspired by T-REX or Dinorunner, the offline Chrome game.

The game is very simply, you must run with your dino and jump pressing SPACEBAR on TI-99's keyboard for best score.

The difficulty leve upgrade every 10000 pts, incresing speed game.

OK! Download game and lets your best score!

The game required Editor Assembler, op. "5", file name, TREX-A (Ex. DSK1.TREX-A)

Have fun!

TIREX1.jpg

TIREX2.jpg

DOWNLOAD HERE!!
TIREX.zip

• Like 17

Ok ... as always I find myself publishing a new revision of the game, fixing some bugs.

More stability in the jump;

More precision in collisions;

Score that increases by one point at a time and increases the speed every 1000 points;

Better answer when you press the space bar.

Added a frame with a dinosaur that cries when it loses.

Always required Editor Assembler with option 5 and command DSK(n).TREX-A

Have you fun!! :)

• Like 1

The first version I just held down the spacebar and got to 12230. :grin: Then I let go and ran into a cactus! :mad:

The second version I will be lucky to hit 200. :-o

I converted it to V9T9 format, then loaded into XB with John Johnson's BOOT program. Very smooth scrolling and animation! :thumbsup:

I did not know TI-Rex ran among the cactii. I thought he preferred to amble through the palm fronds and gingko. :D

-Ed

Edited by Ed in SoDak

Honestly, I also had a version to load with XB, but I saw that the EA5 is slightly more stable.

The choice of cactuses is only because the original game provides for it. The second version solves a bug in the score, stabilizes the dinosaur jump and makes collisions more accurate. In fact I realized that holding the space was not detected collisions with the cactus. Too easy. ??

Now everything works !!

• Like 2

I never played the original game, so my foilage critique is merely paleontologically aimed. Just funning you! Perhaps there were cactii back then of which I am unaware. My attempts at humor aside, I enjoyed playing your game. I kept the early version too, so I can play it to soothe my wounds after the trouncing my Rex gets in version 1.1.

If I were a Rex, I fear I would not fare well in the Cretaceous without a spacebar "cheat" to help me!

-Ed

I'm really happy that the Easter gift is appreciated by everyone.

I ask for advice.

I have not yet been able to see how the game reacts on real machines, but on Classic99 it makes a difference between 50 and 60hz.

It seems that the game is synchronized to 60hz, as they are cactuses that are sprite, they are synchronous with the floor.

At 50hz instead, the cactus go slightly slower than the floor.

In the code it is expected that for each increment of a pixel of the soil there are 12 for the sprites of the cactus. Since the scrolling of the floor initially increases by 2 pixels at a time, the cacti are obviously set to 24.

This 60hz ratio is perfect, but at 50hz I think we need a different relationship.

Any advice please?

Thank you! :)

Edited by gekido_ken

I'd like to know more about this. Can you describe why the EA5 version was more stable? What was different in their behavior?

I do not know exactly why, I think it's a different electronic circuitry of the two modules.
However, the XB version seems to have more "indecisiveness" in the movements and timing of the game.

Both EA5 and XB run the program in exactly the same areas of the memory expansion and neither one relies on the cartridge once the program starts. The only difference is that when running in XB the interrupt routine will do a BL @>0020 which scans for Function 4. This is not a very long routine but it is bypassed when running as EA5. I would be surprised if the difference is noticeable, but if you want to try an experiment, P.M me the XB version and I will return two versions to you: one that scans for Function 4 and one that does not do this scan. I won't tell you which does the scan. You can test them both and see if there is a difference.

Ok guys!
I have another update on TI REX ready.
This time I optimized two versions having the chance to test the game on real machine.
I add two zip files containing both the EA5 and XB versions of the game, divided into 50 and 60hz
The 60hz is always loaded with DSK (n) .TREX-A for EA5 and DSK (n) .TREX-C for XB, while the 50hz version will be TRX50-A for EA5 and TRX50-C for XB.
IMG_20180402_154707.jpg
IMG_20180402_154718.jpg

Edited by gekido_ken
  • Like 1

So I was testing the XB 60hz version in Classic99 and I got this:

https://youtu.be/LYFZlF6-V3w

On the first run it was fine, then I breaked out of the game to check the listing. Subsequently, typing RUN or reloading from disk caused the above shown anomaly... Looks like some kind of initialization issue.

You must use only compiled version, if you run on XB from listning it not work.

This game is wrote on XB256 and compiled.

Also you must load version right for 50 or 60hz.

If you use emulator check refresh video and load right version.

If you load 60hz version you must setup classic99 on 60hz.

Francesco, Classic99 defaults to 60Hz unless otherwise specified in the options.

I don't have a listing of the game and I only ran it in XB using TREX-C as you instructed for 60Hz.

I'm pretty sure this is not a user error on my part...

Try this:

Start the Classic99 emulator and run TREX-C in XB. It will run fine. Now break out of the game using FCTN-4 then type RUN again. You will see the behavior I described. Type NEW then RUN "DSKx.TREX-C" and the same issue is present. The only way to fix the game is to cold reset Classic99.

Now I don't know if the issue is with the emulator or your game or the compiler, but that was my observation...

Francesco, Classic99 defaults to 60Hz unless otherwise specified in the options.

I don't have a listing of the game and I only ran it in XB using TREX-C as you instructed for 60Hz.

I'm pretty sure this is not a user error on my part...

Ok, I tried to repeat everything you gave me on Classic99 and on real machine ....... everything works!
I can only think of it as a random problem with the emulator.
Have you updated it to the latest version?

Speaking of latest versions, I see you are using an older version of the compiler. How do I know? The suffix for the EA5 version is -A and the XB version is -C. The newest version (Chardonnay) uses -E and -X for those files. Download the newest version in the thread "XB Game Developer's Package". It is much easier to use - you will like it!

Dolcetto will be out soon. I am making a few more changes to it.

Edited by senior_falcon
  • Like 2