63 replies to this topic

#51 Flojomojo OFFLINE  

Flojomojo

I say boom boom boom

• 11,703 posts
  • You say bam bam bam

Posted Tue Apr 17, 2018 6:43 AM

It's cute and has a nice screen.

I would hold out for one with a microSD slot (doesn't exist yet, but should).

#52 Bill Loguidice ONLINE  

Bill Loguidice

Quadrunner

• 6,546 posts
  • Armchair Arcade Managing Director

Posted Tue Apr 17, 2018 7:45 AM

From what I've seen, it appears the BitBoy is based off the typical Famiclone/NOAC technology. Do you, (or anyone else) know for sure? I was wondering what were the advantages of the BitBoy over the many other NES X-in-1 portables littered all over sites like AliExpress. 

No idea, I'm afraid. Perhaps the only advantage is the relatively easy availability, low price, and the fact that it's a known quantity. Again, though, I would be concerned about getting a system with dead pixels if I ever wanted another one.

#53 pacman000 ONLINE  

pacman000

Dragonstomper

• 777 posts

Posted Tue Apr 17, 2018 8:33 AM

No Intellivision or ColecoVision this year. In terms of other products, we can definitely discuss once the official announcements are made.

That's too bad; I like the CV Flashback. Don't know what else you could do with it tho.

#54 Bill Loguidice ONLINE  

Bill Loguidice

Quadrunner

• 6,546 posts

Posted Tue Apr 17, 2018 8:39 AM

That's too bad; I like the CV Flashback. Don't know what else you could do with it tho.

More games, better controllers (and cross-compatible), HD, and an SD card slot might help it get similar numbers as the last time.

#55 pacman000 ONLINE  

pacman000

Dragonstomper

• 777 posts

Posted Tue Apr 17, 2018 8:40 AM

Disney has released a whole bunch of their games (Tron, Star Wars, Aladdin, Lion King, etc) on GOG fairly recently, so I would think it's possible. 

For your TRON fix in the meantime, https://www.gog.com/game/tron_20

I wonder if the licensing of Tron titles will ever be a reality?  

Telegames also re-named TRON games to get around the Disney license.

#56 sdamon OFFLINE  

sdamon

Stargunner

• 1,500 posts

Posted Tue Apr 17, 2018 9:00 AM

More games, better controllers (and cross-compatible), HD, and an SD card slot might help it get similar numbers as the last time.

Would definitely buy another with those features!  And would also pick up an Intellivision FB similarly equipped (passed on the last one as it didn't have much to recommend it over my old Inty... at least the CV FB had a decent selection of rarer games)

#57 bmadgames OFFLINE  

bmadgames

Star Raider

• 84 posts

Posted Tue Apr 17, 2018 9:31 AM

I'd like to know where it's going, its interesting to me.

Not a huge fan of atgames when it comes to the Genesis, but I'm turning on that as the 2017 left a good footprint of a better direction long overdue.  I'm actually getting mad seeing these childish and quite asinine and unfounded attacks on the system once ATGames was noted as the hands behind it.  It always seems to be combined in that sentence or the next about how the games have awful sound and other bugs.  No moron, it's not based on the 2016 and back SD firecore atrocities.  Sure people could start spamming that retort around, but I doubt most would even care to bother as it's more fun to gang up and be a me-too troll for sport.

I agree with how annoying the AtGames trolls can be, but I think AtGames deserves some blame as well. First, as Bill has said many times, prior to the NES classic, a pricepoint above $30-$40 was not possible based on retailer demands. My guess is AtGames looked at it like a toy and got enough sales each year to keep going and figured there was no reason to improve. As the NES classic gained popularity, they were caught without a plan and a reputation for the cheap systems compared to Nintendo's more refined product. I think one of the bigger nails in the coffin was when they sent out the defective review units and couldn't get the replacements out or whatever happened. As an example, Cnet still refers to their review of the first run unit and either wasn't told or didn't care to update that those units weren't final.

With all that being said, I really don't think any of this will hurt sales if Sega is more in control of the marketing and the box and packaging are redesigned to minimize or remove AtGames logos and more heavily emphasize Sega and Genesis. Just my 2 cents (as if it even matters :) )

#58 Defender_2600 OFFLINE  

Defender_2600

Moonsweeper

• 493 posts

Posted Tue Apr 17, 2018 10:38 AM

I really don't understand this.  It's been what, over a decade with the same sound issue and the reason for the issue has been known for several years...  The other mystery feature updates may be interesting, but there really seems to be no excuse for the sound emulation issue to still be there after all this time.  I'm afraid without that being fixed, I'm going to have to pass on the next Sega Portable no matter what other new features there may be.

Hi Kevin, I was just reading this article. Sounds like a good update :

http://www.seganerds...s-audio-issues/

#59 KevinMos3 OFFLINE  

KevinMos3

Stargunner

• 1,539 posts
  • Founder of the Timothy Dalton as Bond fan club

Posted Tue Apr 17, 2018 1:18 PM

Hi Kevin, I was just reading this article. Sounds like a good update :

http://www.seganerds...s-audio-issues/

That's exactly what I was referring to (or one of them anyway) when I said the reason for the sound issue has been known for several years.  There is another fix that has been hosted at http://elektropage.r.../sega_suslik/14for a very long time.  I used to have to use archive.org to download that menu hack, but it's been updated more recently, (these didn't work on my 2016 model).  And that Neto/Müller one you referenced I think has been available since 2016.  I started using it last year.  According to their work, the fix isn't complicated, and I'm shocked and disappointed that it wasn't fixed before now and especially in the upcoming model.  That just seems to be without excuse.  Now, to get one that works properly out-of-the-box, we have to wait until Christmas season of 2019!  That's almost a decade since the first hack fix was available and 3 years since the Neto/Müller fix (or at least 2 production cycles).

#60 King_Salamon OFFLINE  

King_Salamon

River Patroller

• 2,348 posts

Posted Thu Apr 19, 2018 8:31 AM

Bill.... what's this I see about an SNK 40th Anniversary?  The future is now?  Is AtGames going to have a neo geo this year?  I missed out on the Neo Geo Gold or whatever it was but I am on board early with the AtGames version!  Don't know what can be said but it looks like word is starting to get out!?!?

I'm excited about the news on this one!

#61 Flojomojo OFFLINE  

Flojomojo

I say boom boom boom

• 11,703 posts
  • You say bam bam bam

Posted Thu Apr 19, 2018 8:37 AM

Bill.... what's this I see about an SNK 40th Anniversary?  The future is now?  Is AtGames going to have a neo geo this year?  I missed out on the Neo Geo Gold or whatever it was but I am on board early with the AtGames version!  Don't know what can be said but it looks like word is starting to get out!?!?

I'm excited about the news on this one!

It looks like there will be a Neo Geo mini.

http://www.nintendol...0th_anniversary

Don't know where you got the idea it was from AtGames, though ...  :???:  :???:  :???:  :???:

#62 Bill Loguidice ONLINE  

Bill Loguidice

Quadrunner

• 6,546 posts

Posted Thu Apr 19, 2018 8:42 AM

Nope, nothing to do with AtGames.

#63 Tanooki ONLINE  

Tanooki

River Patroller

• 3,886 posts

Posted Thu Apr 19, 2018 8:58 AM

Well if it's not ATGames, then they got another solid source, perhaps going the 10" cabinet route that MyArcade did with the DataEast and soon Namco stuff.   A nearly foot tall Neo Geo cabinet or so with the right buttons, good screen, and a nice selection, perhaps even with a SD card option would be a killer offering.

#64 King_Salamon OFFLINE  

King_Salamon

River Patroller

• 2,348 posts

Posted Thu Apr 19, 2018 2:39 PM

It looks like there will be a Neo Geo mini.

http://www.nintendol...0th_anniversary

Don't know where you got the idea it was from AtGames, though ...  :???:  :???:  :???:  :???:

Well Bill mentioned AtGames had potential new agreements... I thought this might have been one of those.

Nope, nothing to do with AtGames.

Ahh ok... thanks.

2 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Google (1)