IGNORED

AtGames 2018 speculation thread

Hello all, does anyone know about the AtGames Atari Flashback Classics for Nintendo Switch? I have it pre-ordered via Walmart, and it has release date for 11/6 or 11/8 (keeps changing). Is this the actual release date? I knew it was coming, but was hoping someone in here would confirm that as the date. Next to my Arcade1up Asteroids cab, this will be my most anticipated atari purchase of the year (unless I get the arcade1up Centipede cab for christmas). Thanks in advance for the info.

ok so maybe it will come out this week. I agree, the games list is pretty spectacular. Don't think I have seen any offer 2600, 5200, and arcade. And not only that, they have multiple versions like all 3 millipedes, breakout, etc. Switch is turning into the retro lovers dream, Atari, SNK, Genesis, NES classics....all good so far.

ok so maybe it will come out this week. I agree, the games list is pretty spectacular. Don't think I have seen any offer 2600, 5200, and arcade. And not only that, they have multiple versions like all 3 millipedes, breakout, etc. Switch is turning into the retro lovers dream, Atari, SNK, Genesis, NES classics....all good so far.

Do you have a link for the games list?

I know right? and on the switch? perfect combo. I just wish they included some history, some vintage commercials, cool museum like stuff.

i'll be happy if emulation is good, controls are on point, menus are clean and everything is on the cart for offline play. I like frills but the core experience is the most important to me.

i'll be happy if emulation is good, controls are on point, menus are clean and everything is on the cart for offline play. I like frills but the core experience is the most important to me.

I'd be surprised if everything wasn't on the cart. The total size of the ROMs here are probably under a 1MB all told, and the emulators might be a few hundred megs total.

Out of curiosity, how does a distribution like those go to market? Does AtGames have everything they need by way of original game roms, makes their user interface, makes a master disk image, then sends to China for packaging, disc duplication etc., and Atari simply gives the contractual authorization to use the original roms & branding for a fee? Does Atari SA have any involvement or provide any element of the product these days, or is that ultimately unnecessary? What about some of the arcade title rights that Atari SA may not own? Are separate contractual arrangements needed for some titles that were once Atari properties or otherwise? Call me crazy, but I find this stuff interesting. Say what you will about some companies, but at least being reasonable enough to license content at feasible rate structures beats locking it away or dropping off the map with it.

Edited by JBerel

Out of curiosity, how does a distribution like those go to market? Does AtGames have everything they need by way of original game roms, makes their user interface, makes a master disk image, then sends to China for packaging, disc duplication etc., and Atari simply gives the contractual authorization to use the original roms & branding for a fee? Does Atari SA have any involvement or provide any element of the product these days, or is that ultimately unnecessary? What about some of the arcade title rights that Atari SA may not own? Are separate contractual arrangements needed for some titles that were once Atari properties or otherwise? Call me crazy, but I find this stuff interesting. Say what you will about some companies, but at least being reasonable enough to license content at feasible rate structures beats locking it away or dropping off the map with it.

It's a true partnership between AtGames, Atari, and the developers, Code Mystics. AtGames not only does funding, but also the physical distribution, while Atari handles the digital distribution. All properties are owned directly by Atari, save for the Atari 2600 M Network games, which are via AtGames (who licenses them separately).

And yes, say what you will about Atari, but at least they let the IP out there. It's frustrating that so many other classic games are locked away, never to be seen again outside of "ROMz" sites. It seems to me like leaving "easy" money on the table.

• Like 5

That does beg the question, why AtGames doesn't just buy the electronic gaming rights, or perform a hostile takeover of them. It's honestly bizarre that a French holding company continues to manage the rights and do such questionable things with it. I guess I'd answer my own question by surmising that ol' Fred keeps 51% of the shares personally and wouldn't sell for anything resembling a fair valuation due to some get rich quick fantasies. That pretty much guarantees the eventual demise of the brand, and drives it further into the ground as sure as Sears or K-Mart.

Adding to the bizarre factor, you got Feargal suing AtariSA for infringing on his so called brilliant idea to make a plastic game box that resembles the original system made by another company in the 70's. Seems his brilliant idea is a rip-off of what AtGames has been doing for a decade. I'd say AtGames should sue one of them, but they're the only ones anywhere near this mess who have managed to bring product to market and turn a profit.

Also, on a similar vein/rant, I gotta wonder when AtGames has been partnering with Atari to do the actual production work of bringing products to market, why on Earth did Atari SA enter into this messed up Kentucky shotgun wedding with Feargal in the first place, and after that predictably failed, proceed to go on their own-ish when they clearly have no wherewithal to do it. I always thought it would have been a logical step up for AtGames to move into a more upscale product that resembled a multi-use gaming console rather than their usual holiday season toyline. There's room for both, and one would think AtGames was already in a position to put the Ataribox project together reasonably well without much fuss. Hell, a decent project manager would have brought in Roku, Amazon, or Google as a partner at the concept phase to make an Atari edition of one of their streaming players with emphasis on gaming support in addition to their streaming services. That would have been a marketable concept that will probably never happen.

Edited by JBerel
  • Like 2

I have the flashback classics for switch ordered via walmart, really hope it comes this week. I think I might pass on Vol 3 for ps4. Have 1 and 2 on both ps4 and xbox1, but I dont think the lineup on vol 3 is that great. That said, the lineup on the switch version is fantastic and really looking forward to it. Dont mind paying the premium over the other consoles since I am gettint more than 3x the games... Love what Tommy Tallarico is doing with Amico, but sure wish they would release an intellivision compilation like this for the switch. Throw in that new touch screen controller and it would be the best thing that happened since the 1980 original release. Oh, and AtGames, why not make a Bluetooth Atari Joystick for the switch/PC for these games? How cool would that be. And Bluetooth paddles. That is all I want for now, thank you!

Also, on a similar vein/rant, I gotta wonder when AtGames has been partnering with Atari to do the actual production work of bringing products to market, why on Earth did Atari SA enter into this messed up Kentucky shotgun wedding with Feargal in the first place, and after that predictably failed, proceed to go on their own-ish when they clearly have no wherewithal to do it. I always thought it would have been a logical step up for AtGames to move into a more upscale product that resembled a multi-use gaming console rather than their usual holiday season toyline. There's room for both, and one would think AtGames was already in a position to put the Ataribox project together reasonably well without much fuss. Hell, a decent project manager would have brought in Roku, Amazon, or Google as a partner at the concept phase to make an Atari edition of one of their streaming players with emphasis on gaming support in addition to their streaming services. That would have been a marketable concept that will probably never happen.

Internal politics and licensing and perceived missed opportunities. For those of you who don't know, most corporations behave like a psychotic when confronted with making some profit now, or a tiny little bit more later on. They'll latch on to the here and now and not give a care to the future. Even if it means producing a superior product that would gain a wider audience.

• Like 2

I second this. It would make things a heck of a lot smooth and (probably) open up more opportunities for AtGames. Definitely the people running 'Atari' at the current moment shouldn't be, that's for sure.

That does beg the question, why AtGames doesn't just buy the electronic gaming rights, or perform a hostile takeover of them. It's honestly bizarre that a French holding company continues to manage the rights and do such questionable things with it. I guess I'd answer my own question by surmising that ol' Fred keeps 51% of the shares personally and wouldn't sell for anything resembling a fair valuation due to some get rich quick fantasies. That pretty much guarantees the eventual demise of the brand, and drives it further into the ground as sure as Sears or K-Mart.

Adding to the bizarre factor, you got Feargal suing AtariSA for infringing on his so called brilliant idea to make a plastic game box that resembles the original system made by another company in the 70's. Seems his brilliant idea is a rip-off of what AtGames has been doing for a decade. I'd say AtGames should sue one of them, but they're the only ones anywhere near this mess who have managed to bring product to market and turn a profit.

i'm sure atgames have considered it, you never know maybe they are waiting for the muppets running the brand to get desperate looking for a buyer, right now i'm sure they have cashflow licensing the brand and ip.

you also have to remember that atgames have been at this a while so what they do obviously works from a financial standpoint. their target audience would be casuals with memberberries. us hardcore gamers are in the mix but i dare say we make up a smaller part of the pie.

• Like 1

It's a true partnership between AtGames, Atari, and the developers, Code Mystics. AtGames not only does funding, but also the physical distribution, while Atari handles the digital distribution. All properties are owned directly by Atari, save for the Atari 2600 M Network games, which are via AtGames (who licenses them separately).

And yes, say what you will about Atari, but at least they let the IP out there. It's frustrating that so many other classic games are locked away, never to be seen again outside of "ROMz" sites. It seems to me like leaving "easy" money on the table.

Electronic Arts (EA) comes to mind!