Photo

Rarity chart question

3 replies to this topic

#1 courderoy guy OFFLINE  

courderoy guy

Chopper Commander

• 173 posts

Posted Sun Apr 15, 2018 10:35 AM

A couple of weeks ago I found a TI-99/4a in its original box at a Salvation Army near my house, still had its plastic bagging and styrofoam. Cool! The TI-99/4a was my first computer, so I had to get it. It took a couple of weeks for me to win a couple of cheap eBay auctions to get command modules for it, and I had to buy an adaptor to hook it up to my modern television, but I was finally able to fire it up this week and all works great! Even has the Voice Synthesizer, although unfortunately the only command module I have that uses it is Meteor Belt. I would have loved to get a Terminal Emulator II or whatever to program my own voice outputs. 

Anyway, other than joining the group here, I wanted to ask a question about rarity: One of the games I picked up in the lot was Atarisoft's Ms. Pac-Man, which certainly isn't a rare game. That said, the old 2004-era rarity guide on 99er.net has it as quite rare for the TI. I certainly never saw it back in the day myself, but I was a kid, so...

Is it really quite rare? Seems like Atari(soft) would have made a lot of them. I am not collecting for value, just for me, but should I be taking extra care of this one? 

Side note: Munch Man still holds up as one of the best Pac-Man clones, due to its relatively fast pace and solid gameplay.

MAIN QUESTION: Is there an updated rarity guide for the TI-99/4a, similar to the excellent one AtariAge has for the 2600?

Attached Files

Edited by courderoy guy, Sun Apr 15, 2018 10:36 AM.

#2 kl99 OFFLINE  

kl99

Dragonstomper

• 806 posts

Posted Sun Apr 15, 2018 11:39 AM

there were 12 cartridge titles released by Atarisoft. None of them I would consider rare.

Meteor Belt I would consider a bit more uncommon compared to those.

#3 courderoy guy OFFLINE  

courderoy guy

Chopper Commander

• Topic Starter
  • 173 posts

Posted Mon Apr 16, 2018 1:01 PM

Thanks. I personally thought it seemed more likely that Meteor Belt was less common than Ms. Pac-Man, but the 99er.net rarity guide claimed otherwise. Since it dates to 2004, though, I imagine it can't be too current. Maybe there just isn't a lot of interest in a rarity guide for TI-99? Or perhaps I just don't know what people are using nowadays.

#4 courderoy guy OFFLINE  

courderoy guy

Chopper Commander

• Topic Starter
  • 173 posts

Posted Mon Apr 16, 2018 1:01 PM

I did want to say I got everything hooked up this past week, and all is well. All the games are playing great, and I forgot how much I enjoyed Munch Man and Tombstone City. Centipede is ok. Ms. Pac-Man is...not great. It has a TON of slowdown.

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users