IGNORED

MAME OS X and Donkey Kong ROM

DonLaFontaine

I downloaded MAME OS X and then the Donkey Kong US Set 1 ROM. The download expanded into a folder and so I zipped it and placed the zip file in a folder on my desktop called MAME ROMS. I then opened the preferences for MAME OS X and chose the MAME ROMS folder as the location for the ROM Directory. I select Donkey Kong in the list of games in MAME OS X and it appears to open, but the screen just stays black. When I click on the title bar for MAME OS X, I get a sound from Donkey Kong, but that’s it. It stays black. Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Don

See reply 6

MAME OS X doesn't work on the more recent versions of OS X. Last update was 2009, so doubtful it'll ever be fixed.

I'm aware of 2 options:

Note that neither option is as nice, nor as easy to use, as MAME OS X was.

• Like 2

Is there anyway to find Donkey Kong Remix or Donkey Kong Jr. Remix for MAME?

The ROMs for the Arcade ports of DK Remix and DK Jr Remix have not been released for public distribution. The author decided it was a hardware only release, and has maintained that stance.

However, a two stage demo of DK Remix was distributed by the author (Only registered members of the linked forum can download the files). Per the developer's directions: "Just replace the 4 normal program ROMs in DK with these 4."

Additionally, the Tandy Color Computer 3 port of Donkey Kong Remix - which plays and looks (near) identical to the Arcade - has been made available for public distribution and is playable in MAME. Full step-by-step directions with screenshots was provided for it.

Further, the Donkey Kong Remix Christmas (2017) Edition was released publicly along with a guide to get it up and running.

Donkey Kong Jr Remix has seen some (unofficial) artwork available for it. However, it has seen no public ROMs released; including, no CoCo 3 port or Arcade demo.

The developer's wishes regarding DK Remix and DKJR Remix have been reiterated as recently as January 4 of this year via their Facebook page:

post-18-0-30306600-1524097808.png

Hopefully this will change in the future.

I ended up using OpenEmu, which works great. Thanks for the suggestion.

Cool - I use OpenEmu on my Mac mini DVR(I cut the cord back in 2013) that drives my HDTV. Works great with PS3 controllers.

If you have any Playstation games I wrote a blog entry on how to convert game CDs for OpenEMU, though I've not yet looked into converting games with audio tracks.