IGNORED

SNK 40 Anniversary plug and play Neo Geo console announced

Same here I love the Neo Geo stuff so much. I went and got the arcade cabinet locally, then about a year later I re-acquired my first SNK hardware the NGPC. When I saw that drop cloth I was for better or worse blindly in on that one as it looks like some little MyArcade style mini cabinet. Still it would be nice if they did a system like that but included the small NGPC library on there too as they deserve another time to shine where GBC wouldn't snuff it out.

It's unconfirmed, but here's some alleged information and pictures...

http://nukethefridge.com/snks-neo-geo-mini-details-rumored/

snk3.png

screen-shot-2018-05-03-at-529-2-15253940

snk2.png

Must. Buy. Now! I am so picking this up as well as an extra controller or two. Man, this thing looks fantastic. I think SNK really hit it out of the park. Even if this goes for $100 to $150, I am picking this up.

Honestly, from the size, I don't think the controls, nor the screen, actually work. It's like the NES classic in a sense. You just plug that thing to a tv, plug controllers in, and you play. It's not a handheld, or "portable" in that sense.

I'm disappointed. I was really hoping for a neo geo mini console, not this? The game list reads like a multi-Cart from China. The controller buttons are totally messed up (look at design closer) and the bartop looks very cheap and plastic. Meh

Edited by RetrogamerX
  • Like 1

Honestly, from the size, I don't think the controls, nor the screen, actually work. It's like the NES classic in a sense. You just plug that thing to a tv, plug controllers in, and you play. It's not a handheld, or "portable" in that sense.

The linked article says it has a built-in 3.5" screen. That's not confirmed but neither are the photos, so there's no reason to discount one piece of info if you believe the other. Also, if they were going to make something non-functional, there's no reason for them to not just copy one of their more iconic existing designs verbatim and just shrink it down. We already have mini arcade games that fit in the palm of your hand and look just like the real thing (oh, and they do work!). The fact that it's got this kind of goofy looking but also kind of arcade-ish design suggests to me that the controls do work and they actually tried to make them somewhat usable rather than just there for looks.

A 3.5" screen is like the size of a non-XL Nintendo 3DS; totally playable but it means this thing's not really a "bartop" in terms of modern parlance, it would be more like one of the old Coleco tabletop arcade machines, if even that big. It also suggests that it probably wouldn't be *that* expensive; an LCD screen like that is cheap these days. Personally I think it all sounds pretty cool. I don't own any of the "mini" machines that have been released so far (though I did buy the very first Atari Flashback, before everybody and his brother was doing that sort of thing), but if these rumors hold up then this is definitely something I want.

• Like 1

I'd believe it with the scaled down to size candy cab common to that period in Japan, but that game list is severely stacked, lacking, and has some questionable choices that make no sense. The stacked good, all the Metal Slug games. But why on earth leave out some of the very popular choices the ACA release have such as Blazing Star, and no one even cares about Top Player's Golf as it sucks against Neo Turf Masters -- which is also missing, why? That's a nazca release (metal slug) which is already on multiple formats. No Baseball Stars 2 (or even 1?)

The choice of using it like a NGX as portable, but also with HDMI or rca, and going with aes/cd unit style controllers is very smart. The 3.5" display I measured out, if you have a Bridge Direct mini-arcade diagonally that's basically on the Space Invaders #1 unit the top right corner of the LCD to the bottom left corner of the bezel sticker up against the very left edge where it slopes out to the stick/buttons (or as spacecadet says the non XL 3DS panel.) That's a good sized panel for games of this style, again, if this is all for real and not some long trail of bs and guesses. I read this was suppose to be $100, I'd believe it. Hell I'd pay that even if I have what I do have already.

• Like 1

It that's real, that control layout is utterly horrendous. ABCD should be in a straight line that allows your fingers to comfortably cover all of them with a relaxed open hand.

Are some of you people impressed by this, even ever play Neo Geo games? It's primarily a fighters system. Good luck pulling off combos on that garbage.

Edited by keepdreamin
  • Like 2

You mean Neo Geo plays games other than Metal Slug? Bonus!! :-D

Even Metal Slug would benefit greatly from the proper layout. I can't forsee that layout being good for anything but something like Neo Turfmasters. How would you even cover that? Put your hand at an angle so index to B, middle to A, ring to C? That would make fire assigned to your middle finger, incredibly uncomfortable.

Or a more straight on approach. Cover A and C with index and middle, thumb to B? That would leave ring finger to cover D (in non-MS games) in some sort of gnarled claw twister BS.

That layout is terrible. Like a cabinet an operator tossed a Neo Geo conversion kit into without giving a damn how the button arrangement turned out. You wouldn't put a quarter into that mess.

Edited by keepdreamin

It that's real, that control layout is utterly horrendous. ABCD should be in a straight line that allows your fingers to comfortably cover all of them with a relaxed open hand.

Are some of you people impressed by this, even ever play Neo Geo games? It's primarily a fighters system. Good luck pulling off combos on that garbage.

I don't think it's so bad. My trashy MVS is kind of laid out that way--looks like it first set up as a one or two button conversion (of whatever) and a previous owner converted to the full 4-button. It came with a hacked together puzzle bobble marquee, which coupled with the odd layout choice, is what leads me to believe it spent most of its neo life with fewer buttons. The layout works especially well on the KOF's, since the punches are on one side, kicks on the other--it makes good sense when you get used to it. NGCD pad did fine with it too. I do keep meaning to redo that control panel and shoot for something more classic.

What doesn't make good sense is neo geo emulation. People have been calling it "perfect" since the 90's but it never has been, and over the last decade I've only experienced it getting worse. It makes perfect sense from a "we are poor and have to squeeze something out quickly" perspective, but not a "neo geo fans are known to be a little picky, and even SNK's best has never really been 100% good enough for them" perspective.

Edited by Reaperman

NGCD pad did fine with it too.

Set your NGCD pad on a table and then use your finger tips to play. That's basically this mock up.

I haven't experienced this problem with Neo Geo emulation you speak of. MAME, Final Burn Alpha, Kawaks all work well. As long it isn't some hacked beta running on cruddy hardware like the Dingpoo clone that Tommo squeezed out.

Edited by keepdreamin

I haven't experienced this problem with Neo Geo emulation you speak of. MAME, Final Burn Alpha, Kawaks all work well. As long it isn't some hacked beta running on cruddy hardware like the Dingpoo clone that Tommo squeezed out.

The official snk stuff on steam is just awful, as is the pirate emu-fakery that has invaded actual arcades. I hear bad things about the switch products as well, though I don't have the system. I've heard good of the ps2/wii/psp collections as well--I have no personal experience, but comments were generally very good relating to the batch from about 10 years ago.

It's hard for me to believe MAME has become good at somelthing, but it's been a very long time since I've tried it.

Edited by Reaperman

It may not be your cup of tea, but this isn't some new thing SNK has come up with. It's just an adaptation of their second game console controls.

Yep, that's right. I have a few of the NGCD controllers in my collection.

Anthony..

Edited by fdurso224

The Neo Geo CD pad was by far the worst controller available for the systems. From a gameplay and maintenance perspective. Those D-pad switches did not like any sort of dust or debris. The kidney bean joystick is a better option. If you're going for an anniversary edition, why would you go with the worst control scheme?

If you wanted a great controller back in the day, you went with the original joystick or grabbed the Hori Fight Stick:

s-l500.jpg

Today, there's much better options available if you want . There's a plethora of USB joysticks released from the Street Fighter 4 era onward that have a nice 4 button spread and can be outfitted with sanwa or seimitsu hardware if they aren't already (which is what the Japanese cabs this bartop is modeled after would have been sporting) These can even be easily modded to work on original hardware.

For example, the guy who sells the Omega MVS console for a time was offering joysticks.

https://www.arcadeworks.net/limited-release/omega-arcade-stick-ps3-neo-compatible

These were simply left over PS3 Street Fighter 4 MadCatz sticks outfitted with new buttons and wiring for the original joystick port.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/B001M22WLU/

This may make a neat desk ornament, but for actually playing Neo Geo games, this mockup looks like one of the worst options you can pick.

Edited by keepdreamin
  • Like 2