Pac-Man 2600

10 replies to this topic

#1 iesposta OFFLINE  

iesposta

River Patroller

• 3,826 posts
  • Retro-gaming w/my VCS

Posted Sat Apr 21, 2018 1:22 PM

To clear up the constant confusion of the homebrews of Pac-Man 4K for Atari 2600 (​assembly versions):

​They each are separate works of art and assembly magic.
​I see the "New Pacman (2016)" pictured in YouTube Videos and even the Flashback Portable box image, when the cartridge / game being talked about is "Pac-Man 4K (2008)".

​-"Pac-Man 4K (2008)" cartridge is sold in the AtariAge Store for $25. It was programmed by Dennis Debro in 2008 as a challenge to himself to see how arcade close a Pac-Man could be made in only 4K. The final binary is not posted in Dennis' thread - his final binary is on the AtariAge Store cartridge in NTSC, PAL50, & PAL60.
The entire blue maze has black wherever the white "dots" are drawn.
 2600_pacman4k_Dennis_Debro.jpg
Pac-Man_4K.JPG
Attached File  pacman4k_2008.bin   4KB   13 downloads

​+"New Pacman 4K (2015)" is DINTAR816's 1st assembly homebrew challenge to himself to get Pac-Man in 4K. It includes arcade-close sound - waka-waka eating sound, arcade-close music, cut scene animation with music, and more. 
​The blue maze is solid on the left and right and center "monster pen", even where the beige "dots" are drawn, by using mid-line color changes.
New Pac-Man 4K.png
Latest New Pacman 4K: Thread & Downloads Link

Graphic hack: Score Font, Seperated eaten Eyes: Attached File  pacmak2600_4k_ntsc_DINTAR816_2016_gfx-hack.bin   4KB   94 downloads

Starpath Supercharger audio of above graphic hack:
Attached File  theofficialpacman_superchargers.wav   628.96KB   6 downloads

+"New Pacman 8K (2018)" is the newest of DINTAR816's 2nd assembly homebrew that expands his Pac-Man 4K to more arcade-accurate gameplay. It includes a title screen introduction of the characters, arcade-close sound - waka-waka eating sound, arcade-close music, better cut scene animation with music, intelligent flicker where moster ghosts become solid, and more.
Latest (Oct. 11, 2018) has cornering speedup like the arcade!
“Left Difficulty A” makes the maze a darker blue. I like this best.
“Right Difficulty A” is Speedup making it faster at the start. I prefer the slower default because you notice the behavior of each monster is just like playing the arcade!

Latest New Pacman 8K: Thread post with latest download Link

NewPacman_8Kv7.jpg

Discussion (comments, suggestions, etc.) of DINTAR816s 8K version at: Thread & Downloads Link

Edited by iesposta, Fri Nov 9, 2018 9:27 AM.

#2 YeOldeTARDIS OFFLINE  

YeOldeTARDIS

Combat Commando

• 4 posts

Posted Mon Nov 5, 2018 11:20 PM

This version of Pac-Man is amazing!

Is there any chance of a two player version on the horizon?

As far as I can tell the only two player version of Pac-Man is the original 1982 Tod Frye version, maybe I'm wrong?

#3 iesposta OFFLINE  

iesposta

River Patroller

• Topic Starter
  • 3,826 posts
  • Retro-gaming w/my VCS

Posted Tue Nov 6, 2018 2:16 AM

This version of Pac-Man is amazing!
Is there any chance of a two player version on the horizon?

As far as I can tell the only two player version of Pac-Man is the original 1982 Tod Frye version, maybe I'm wrong?

Here is the Author DINTAR816s thread to ask questions, suggestions, etc. Link

Make sure to try the Latest 8K version, now with cornering speed-up at my link above in the first post. His thread’s first page points to an old version 5.

I’ll link the new 8K version here also:
Latest New Pacman 8K: Thread post with latest download Link

Edited by iesposta, Tue Nov 6, 2018 2:20 AM.

#4 MissCommand ONLINE  

MissCommand

Star Raider

• 57 posts

Posted Tue Nov 6, 2018 7:00 AM

Thanks for this clearly written post... with all the fabulous Pac-Man versions that have come out... this is a great write-up of what is what and why!  :) 

#5 SS ONLINE  

SS

Quadrunner

• 6,137 posts

Posted Fri Nov 9, 2018 8:00 AM

​-"Pac-Man 4K (2008)" cartridge is sold in the AtariAge Store for $25. It was programmed by Dennis Debro in 2008 as a challenge to himself to see how arcade close a Pac-Man could be made in only 4K. The final binary is not posted in Dennis' thread - his final binary is on the AtariAge Store cartridge in NTSC, PAL50, & PAL60.

Thank you for this post. I have to admit to being somewhat confused by this all myself. I have a version of "Pac-Man 4K" marked 'FINAL' but it obviously isn't; the eyes on the ghosts are completely different shaped. I am not quite sure when or where I got it from but I feel as if I've had it in my Stella folder for a while. Now at least I can update my Harmony Cart with the most current ROM releases of each version.

Also of note, I really enjoy the Ms. Pac hack entitled "Pac-Man Arcade" (or "A Better Pac-Man" depending when/where you got it from). As great of technological marvels that the three homebrews are, "Pac-Man Arcade" really feels like a 1980s era Atari release. It is the version of Pac-Man that we really should have gotten the first time around.

Edited by SS, Fri Nov 9, 2018 8:01 AM.

#6 NE146 ONLINE  

NE146

Dumbass Atari Fan

• 15,734 posts

Posted Fri Nov 9, 2018 8:37 AM

Also of note, I really enjoy the Ms. Pac hack entitled "Pac-Man Arcade" (or "A Better Pac-Man" depending when/where you got it from). As great of technological marvels that the three homebrews are, "Pac-Man Arcade" really feels like a 1980s era Atari release. It is the version of Pac-Man that we really should have gotten the first time around.

Indeed.. because it is of course, 1980's developed VCS Ms. Pacman, with a facelift.  I think Rob did that hack in what... in 1999? 19 years ago at this point?  I remember there not even being an Atariage.com around then. :) 

#7 SS ONLINE  

SS

Quadrunner

• 6,137 posts

Posted Fri Nov 9, 2018 9:07 AM

Indeed.. because it is of course, 1980's developed VCS Ms. Pacman, with a facelift.  I think Rob did that hack in what... in 1999? 19 years ago at this point?  I remember there not even being an Atariage.com around then. :) 

It's old enough that I bought my copy from Hozer! :o

#8 iesposta OFFLINE  

iesposta

River Patroller

• Topic Starter
  • 3,826 posts
  • Retro-gaming w/my VCS

Posted Fri Nov 9, 2018 9:45 AM

Speaking of hacks, I like “Ms Pac-Man black” that makes the blue background black like the arcade.
Just that one change makes it feel so much better.

The “New Pacman 4K” final is in DINTAR’s thread.
The one posted here is my edit to make the eyes like they are in the 8K version, along with a more arcade score font. I had suggested to not use the standard shaped numbers, but he already had made his own arcade-like font. So there are differences from the 8K score font in my “Graphic Hack New Pacman 4K”.

Some people only have a Supercharger, so that is the audio of my 4K hack.
Supercharger games can be 6K so if one would have been made, it would have more arcade-like enemy movement. That would fall between the challenge to get everything into Atari’s imposed limit of 4K and the available 8K technology that was already being used in Asteroids 2600.

#9 MissCommand ONLINE  

MissCommand

Star Raider

• 57 posts

Posted Yesterday, 2:51 PM

Just to be complete, you might want to mention the very first attempt to make a truer Pac-Man port. I may have the details wrong and please correct me if I am, but Ebivision made a test version for one of the conventions. It wasn't complete, but playable and much better than the original Atari version. As I understand, he got spooked about possible C&D letters, so decided to put just enough a twist on it to make it different... that turned out to be Pesco.

I think the ROM from Ebivision is still floating around someplace, but the code was not re-used for any of the other versions of Pac-Man out there.

Edited by MissCommand, Yesterday, 2:52 PM.

#10 BrianC OFFLINE  

BrianC

Stargunner

• 1,670 posts

Posted Yesterday, 11:14 PM

Just to be complete, you might want to mention the very first attempt to make a truer Pac-Man port. I may have the details wrong and please correct me if I am, but Ebivision made a test version for one of the conventions. It wasn't complete, but playable and much better than the original Atari version. As I understand, he got spooked about possible C&D letters, so decided to put just enough a twist on it to make it different... that turned out to be Pesco.

I think the ROM from Ebivision is still floating around someplace, but the code was not re-used for any of the other versions of Pac-Man out there.

The ebivision Pac-Man got hacked into Hack 'Em and Ms. Hack 'Em, so in a way, the code was reused.

#11 MissCommand ONLINE  

MissCommand

Star Raider

• 57 posts

Posted Today, 6:52 AM

The ebivision Pac-Man got hacked into Hack 'Em and Ms. Hack 'Em, so in a way, the code was reused.

Yes, you are right. I checked the original thread and Nukey Shay does mention using Ebivision Pac-Man as the basis for his Hack'Em series.

And the "convention" I mentioned above was the 1999 Classic Gaming Expo.

Edited by MissCommand, Today, 7:44 AM.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Pac-Man, 2600

1 user(s) are browsing this forum

1 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users