IGNORED

Need .hfe formatted by HFDC

mizapf

Michael,

Not sure what is going on yet, but I configured my Geneve with a Myarc HFDC. I tried formatting. The Lotharek stepped through both sides of all 40 tracks formatting. Then, when it went back to sector 0, the MDOS formatting routine gave me an error.

Not sure why yet.

​Either way, here is the file formatted, but with no correct writes on sector 0. Not sure if this will help you or not.

​Beery

Regarding what i can see in this HFE, i think that there is a bitrate mixup.

Please be aware that you can't change track density into the HFE : An DD HFE can't be changed to HD, a HD HFE can't be changed to DD or SD, etc. The track size is different at each density.

Do you know which bitrate is used with this controller ?

Please be aware that you can't change track density into the HFE : An DD HFE can't be changed to HD, a HD HFE can't be changed to DD or SD, etc. The track size is different at each density.

Do you know which bitrate is used with this controller ?

Interestingly, I hit the same problem in MAME with my HFE implementation. In the 99/8 emulation I formatted a SD image to DD, and a DD to SD, and the formatter of the 99/8 said that the disk is not formatted. Then, on the second try, it worked. (Funny thing is that I am wondering about my own code ...)

The HFDC can do SD and DD, and I think also HD, but typically the first two.

I tried a number of options. To my knowledge, and I can not swear to it, I thought I picked a DS/DD image and formatted it as DS/DD.

If it is an issue with the bitrate, then how would the Myarc FDC work with formatting the image while formatting the same image with the Myarc HFDC not?

Beery

I tried a number of options. To my knowledge, and I can not swear to it, I thought I picked a DS/DD image and formatted it as DS/DD.

If it is an issue with the bitrate, then how would the Myarc FDC work with formatting the image while formatting the same image with the Myarc HFDC not?

Beery

I don't know, i know nothing about these controllers, but anyway take your HFE file and open it into the hxc software. you will see that the track viewer that there is no sector at all.

i suspect that the bitrate used by FDC is for 360 RPM drives, at 300kbits/s instead of 250kbits/s. You can anyway change/force the bitrate with the internal menu.

So I created a 1.44 pc disk in the windows software and then copied to the SD.. then formatted on the Geneve with the lotherek drive. The same geneve which had been used previously with a 1.44 floppy disk drive in the same location.

I'm happy to try whatever format is recommended in creating the image.

Greg

Sent from my LG-H872 using Tapatalk

I'm somewhat sorry that this caused so much ado, for I had thought this would be the easiest way to check the HFDC emulation. Let's hope that this clarifies things finally. Thanks to you all.

If this is for the HFDC emulation, it is maybe more interesting to format a true floppy disk and redump it with a kryoflux/scp board, isn't it ?

I've been using the blank images from this thread:

http://atariage.com/forums/topic/228119-lotharek-sd-card-floppy-emulator-dsk1-replacement/?p=3176448

DSDD, DSSD, and SSSD are all 981K.

Jeff, can you please check those images first to make sure they are valid?

they look fine but please note that there is no HD images in this images.

they look fine but please note that there is no HD images in this images.

Ok Jeff,

The HFDC is capable of a 1.44 format (not pc FAT obviously) so it uses the same drive hardware as a PC for that.. DS/HD 360rpm no?

How would you recommend I create a blank HFE image for formatting on this?

I created one with the PC 1.44 format, and this is the result after the HFDC attempting a GENEVE/HFDC 1.44 format on it(attached) It goes through each track in the format routine and then media errors immediately

Greg

144Disk_Image.hfe

Ok Jeff,

The HFDC is capable of a 1.44 format (not pc FAT obviously) so it uses the same drive hardware as a PC for that.. DS/HD 360rpm no?

How would you recommend I create a blank HFE image for formatting on this?

I created one with the PC 1.44 format, and this is the result after the HFDC attempting a GENEVE/HFDC 1.44 format on it(attached) It goes through each track in the format routine and then media errors immediately

Greg

The image look fine. i suppose that this is not the one coming from your sdcard/usb stick after the failure ?

• Like 1

no its the one after the failure, after the format routine wrote to all tracks then media errored

Then this is becoming odder : The image is not altered at all. Look like nothing was written to the image. Did you saw "WA" on the lcd during the formatting ?

here's a video:

also here's the file again off my sd

https://photos.app.goo.gl/hvk5JiRV7bBnuPus9

Thanks. Everything look fine. So unless there is no flux coming from the FDC the image should be at least altered... You are formatting in HD mode ?

EDIT : It is altered and it is similar to the BeeryMiller image.

Is there a schematic of the HFDC available somewhere ?

Edited by Jeff_HxC2001
  • Like 1