IGNORED

Wishing for a New Intellivision Game - Beezer

• 2 years later...
On 4/26/2018 at 2:36 PM, carlsson said:

I would find Beezer rather controversial today, with an increasing number of bees and other insects dying due to use of pesticides designed to kill other kinds of bugs. In a not too distant future, farmers will have to hand pollinate their plants, because there are not enough bees to do it. Of course you could change the game slightly so you're trapping something else - child molesters perhaps - which also would steer you clear from obtaining the rights for Beezer itself.

And yes, I am serious about this. A game about trapping and killing bees perhaps worked in 1982, not so much in 2018.

New study say's bees love Hemp and Cannabis! We all need to start growing and save the bees.  

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

11 hours ago, First Spear said:

There was no Pitfall II for Intellivision, even though it seems like it would have been a winner on the platform. Very odd.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pitfall_II:_Lost_Caverns

Perhaps because it came out after the collapse of Mattel Electronics.  Later on, I imagine that Intv Corp. was too strapped for cash to license games from Activison.

dZ.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, carlsson said:

Err.. didn't Activision publish their own games for the Intellivision? But yes, if Mattel Electronics collapsed, the console itself probably no longer was a prime target for ports.

That's what I meant, sorry.  The Intellivision was no longer supported by Mattel, and it was already dragging in the market, so I would imagine it wasn't a target for 3rd party developers any more at that point.  Notice that the majority of platforms targeted (according to the Wikipedia article posted) were contemporary microcomputers and PCs.

-dZ.

• Like 2

Ok. However it seems INTV Corp were able to license Commando from Capcom in 1987 (as well as Dig Dug & Pole Position from Namco/Atari but I don't consider those expensive assets by 1987-89).

If we go into the rumour mill, there are both Master of the Lamps and Zenji on Activision's account but I don't know the history enough to tell if those really were in the plans.

1 minute ago, carlsson said:

Ok. However it seems INTV Corp were able to license Commando from Capcom in 1987 (as well as Dig Dug & Pole Position from Namco/Atari but I don't consider those expensive assets by 1987-89).

If we go into the rumour mill, there are both Master of the Lamps and Zenji on Activision's account but I don't know the history enough to tell if those really were in the plans.

Yeah, I don't know any facts on it at all.  I was just speculating why a game like Pitfall II would not be released by Activision for the Intellivision back in the day.  Another factor could have been that releasing Intellivision cartridges was no small feat -- the hardware was typically more expensive than on other consoles -- and perhaps not worth it for an obsolete console no longer supported by the vendor (the ColecoVision, the other console in the roster of target platforms, was discontinued a year after, so it was still a viable platform).

• Like 1

On 2/9/2021 at 2:17 AM, DZ-Jay said:

Perhaps because it came out after the collapse of Mattel Electronics.  Later on, I imagine that Intv Corp. was too strapped for cash to license games from Activison.

dZ.

I believe this is exactly right.

I remember when Pitfall 2 came out for the Atari 5200.Thats the first I saw of it.

I was pretty much moving on from the Intellivision after four years at that point.

It was probably too late to release it for the Intellivision as Mattel was done with the system by then.