IGNORED

Pac Land - Glossy Box?

stevena

Hi All,

Just managed to pick up a spare copy of Pac Land and it came with this box (see attached)

I noticed straight away thoughtl that the material it's printed on is very glossy and quite possibly, sturdier card than usual Lynx boxes.

Were some games printed like this or is it likely to be a reproduction? Can you possibly say from the photos?

post-52817-0-61228000-1525283972_thumb.jpg

post-52817-0-60085800-1525284008_thumb.jpg

post-52817-0-61940000-1525284149_thumb.jpg

post-52817-0-81385400-1525284212_thumb.jpg

Looks suspect to me. The colours look too saturated and dark and the streaks where the flashlight hits makes it look like it's printed with a regular printer, not with 'real printing'. But I could be wrong, I'm no expert at these things. Also it might be your camera because everything is pimping the colours nowadays, saturating the hell out of 'em.

Personally I wouldn't mind repro boxes or games if it would be clearly stated when buying a game, because this 'retro' boom, 'retro-gaming' boom and collecting boom has suddenly made all the old good stuff too expensive.

Edited by Turbo Laser Lynx

It's very hard to tell without looking at it physically and comparing it side by side with other Lynx boxes. I pulled out a couple of Lynx boxes and the gray X background was indeed perhaps that dark. Still I feel the colours look a bit saturated. I'll pull out some more boxes tonight. Sadly I don't have my Pacland box anymore, I threw away all of my original Lynx boxes back in the day in a move :_(

Edited by Turbo Laser Lynx

Not a repro. My Pacland is glossy. Whoever printed these probably used an ultraviolet varnish. It could have been some very high gloss card stock, but with the amount of color saturation and it didn't dull it down at all, I'm going with the varnish coating.

Whatever may have caused this anomaly, it's not a fake or repro.

• Like 1