IGNORED

CHI Friday - Companion gathering to Chicago TI World Faire

OLD CS1

Making CHI Friday that much more real:

Opry99er contributed the sound track by playing Blasto, which is still running through my head.

Great game, the first I bought with my own money after reading a Saturday morning store ad.

Then OLD CS1 had the Munchman pause/reminder jingle on his phone ring tone. It's stuck in my head again

after decades of hiding away.
  • Like 4

Here are the quotes I received for next year's Friday gathering:

Hilton Garden Inn
Northshore A+B, totaling approximately 1,800ft2 or 167m2 (double this year's event *)
- Friday, November 1, 2019, from 8am until 11pm (officially, see **)
Sleeping block, no minimum, 10 currently reserved, parking and breakfast included
- Thursday, October 31, 2019, check-in, Sunday, November 3, 2019 check-out

* If confirmed before November 30, otherwise only one suite is offered for the rate quoted
** Told since staff is off by this time, we can stay later just let front desk know when we close up

Meeting space: $503.25 (incl. tax and fees)
Sleeping rooms: $149 per night (approximately 14.5% taxes not included)

Holiday Inn
Fountain D, approximately 1,200ft2 or ~111m2
- Friday, November 1, 2019, from 8am until 11pm
Sleeping block, 10 minimum, 80% attrition*, parking and breakfast included
Complimentary hotel shuttle available at a 3 mile radius

* Minimum booking is 80%, or organizing must make up the difference between booked and 80% block reserved

Meeting space: $500 (incl. tax and fees)
Sleeping rooms: $199 per night (approximately 14.5% taxes not included)

Hyatt House
Downstairs meeting space, 1,300ft2 or ~121m2
Sleeping block, 10 minimum, 80% attrition*
$29/day valet parking or parking in close-by public parking

* Minimum booking is 80%, or organizing must make up the difference between booked and 80% block reserved

Meeting space: $600

Hilton Orrington
Meeting space of 750ft2 or ~70m2
Sleeping block, 7 minimum, 80% attrition*, complimentary breakfast (w/omelete station)
$29/day valet parking or parking
$15 public, Chicago @ Church

Meeting space: $500 (NOT including taxes and fees)

In all cases, room bookings must be made before October 1, 2019 to qualify for the block rate, and afterward only if available.

From an organizing perspective, any location with a booking attrition would be a no-go. Irrespective, it looks like all considered the Hilton Garden Inn wins out for pricing. Everyone who stayed there this year can attest to the location -- you can walk to the library in around 10 minutes with Panera pretty much equidistant from both. The rooms are rather roomy suites.

Of course, no one is required to stay anywhere specific (though the prices listed above should give you an idea of what regular pricing is, considering these are quotes between 20% and 25% off "best rates.")

• Like 1

Although I didn't make it, I did have a room booked at one point. A problem I had with booking was that I couldn't book from Thursday night through Monday night and stay the one extra day. If the extra day were made possible that would be nice! :)

It is, you just have to make the arrangements by calling. I did that for my stay until Tuesday.

Hilton Garden Inn works for me. Just let me know what the individual contribution works out to be.

Also, do we agree that next year we need CHI Friday t-shirts?

I will open up the pool for anyone to contribute whatever amount they wish. If we assume 10 people, the contribution would be roughly $50 and change per person divided evenly but, again, anything anyone wishes to contribute will be appreciated. This year people who could not even make it contributed, and others contributed far and above. Vorticon and I have committed to covering any shortage.

T-shirts, eh? Something in the design of what I wore this year? Easy enough to put together. I am working on my Cafe Press store, as promised, to take advantage of this license I have. Hope to put some time in over the holiday.

I will leave the venue selection open to next Monday (26th) to allow for any discussion. On Monday I will execute a contract on the selected venue and open up the pool.

• Like 1

Oh, I also want to settle on a name. I originally chose "CHI Friday" as a play on "T.G.I. Friday" but with "CHI" for Chicago. But, C.T.I. Friday, as in "Chicago T.I." Friday seems more to the point. Thoughts?

Owen took home our sign this year and says he will bring it for next year, but I was thinking about making a new one in another style. This one maybe in color.

• Like 2

Oh, I also want to settle on a name. I originally chose "CHI Friday" as a play on "T.G.I. Friday" but with "CHI" for Chicago. But, C.T.I. Friday, as in "Chicago T.I." Friday seems more to the point. Thoughts?

Owen took home our sign this year and says he will bring it for next year, but I was thinking about making a new one in another style. This one maybe in color.

C.T.I. Friday is my selection. I like that very much.

The nice thing about the sign I have is that it works for both.

If we are indeed using both rooms next year, we could use both signs, with one at each door—unless, of course, logistics make a single entrance optimal.

...lee

If we are indeed using both rooms next year, we could use both signs, with one at each door—unless, of course, logistics make a single entrance optimal.

...lee

I see no reason to limit to one entrance. But, at $20 per easel two signs is iffy ;)

I agree with the Hilton Garden Inn, and calling it CTI Friday.

As for signage, I propose a really big Parsec ship with glowing EL wire around the edges. A rangefinder sensor triggers a recording of "Alien Craft Approaching", or some more welcoming message.

There will be no mistaking that you're in the right place.

Here's my prototype:

10711140 pacman elwire

• Like 3

I agree with the Hilton Garden Inn, and calling it CTI Friday.

As for signage, I propose a really big Parsec ship with glowing EL wire around the edges. A rangefinder sensor triggers a recording of "Alien Craft Approaching", or some more welcoming message.

There will be no mistaking that you're in the right place.

Here's my prototype:

Go for it!

As promised, I have put up the Extended BASIC READY shirt I wore at this year's events in my licensed apparel store. This is a "private" listing for AtariAge users, only, and is available until next Sunday at 3:00PM EST. This design differs from the public design in that it includes the prompt and cursor, so it stands out as a special design and is also discounted heavily.

TI-99 Extended BASIC is READY for AtariAge

I will be putting up more designs and products over the next few weeks. Some will, as with the T-shirts, depend upon color availability (for instance, there is no color close enough to cyan for the kid's tees, etc.)

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...

Turtles wore one of these shirts to school last Friday when he was giving the rest of his fifth grade class software demonstrations on the 99/4A he was given to repair at the Chicago Faire. All it needed was a replacement for the Mitsumi keyboard (now it has a fully functional Alps).

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...