Dear Cedric (Orion), I've known about your work and games in the past by the youtuber Adam Koralik. I am also very found of wanting to make games for these older retro consoles. Here are my thoughts on your kickstarter and tool set and I hope that you read these and possibly take my suggestions into consideration.
- The Retro Game Designer price point is too high on kickstarter. I can go $100 or maybe $150 (USD), but $300 just for one professional export to a single system is too high.
- I hate splash screens. I might be able to afford the lower price for the amateur version, but if the splash screen is enforced then that is a turn off for me. I know a little bit of programming and hacking maybe I could just buy the amateur version and then hack my own rom to remove the splash screen myself.
- I backed the NESmaker kickstarter. They only asked $36 for their software, very affordable. If you make the price lower then more people can buy it and then we have a bigger community of people who are into it.
- If you are going to do this kickstarter please also open up a facebook group like what Joe did with NESmaker, this way you can get direct feedback from people using it.
- Open up a website and forum so that people can interact with each other and get support from each other when they are working on their projects.
- Make your program such that it is easy for people to share code between projects. For example, on super mario world central (hacking website), anyone can upload sprites, blocks, tiles, and custom code that any other person can use in their game. If people can share resources with each other then lots of progress can be made and people don't always have to reinvent the wheel so to speak.
- Allow people to beta test your program to catch bugs and to get feedback.
- Give people the information to how they can get their cartridges made or disks professionally burned. In other words give people the info on how the manufacturing process works when the game is finished.
So yeah, this is a product that I am very interested in. The main problem that I currently have with it is the price. It's just too much for me. Also I only want 1 version of the program that can export to all of the available systems. For example, I don't want 4 different programs, 1 for genesis, 1 for jaguar, 1 for playstation. I don't want that. I only want 1 single program that exports to all systems. For this I might be able to put out $200 for it, but you are asking for $600 for this. Again just too much for me.
I wish you the best though.
Edited by Final Theory, Tue May 15, 2018 3:53 PM.