IGNORED

first look at the 5200 game tile smashers

video61atarisales

That looks pretty fun. Just from watching the video, the controls look much more responsive than Breakout.

I haven't been all that interested in most "home-brews" / New Releases, but I think I'm going to have to get this one on release.icon_thumbsup.gif

• Like 1

From the title and early comments, I was expecting a Pinball Spectacular remake, but while I was watching that video, I was thinking "This is what a game designed for the 5200 from the ground up looks like." I don't know what the development process was, but you won me over. I'll buy this just for the originality factor and the great use of the analog sticks.

A few questions

1. I couldn't really see the speed of the bat changing often. Does it speed up and slow down much with the analog controller?
  2. It almost seemed like you were avoiding the powerups. Is that because some of them are negative?
  3. The bat is HUGE (not complaining). Does it ever get smaller like in Super Breakout?
  4. How many levels are planned?
  5. Will a ROM-only version be available?

From the title and early comments, I was expecting a Pinball Spectacular remake, but while I was watching that video, I was thinking "This is what a game designed for the 5200 from the ground up looks like." I don't know what the development process was, but you won me over. I'll buy this just for the originality factor and the great use of the analog sticks.

A few questions

1. I couldn't really see the speed of the bat changing often. Does it speed up and slow down much with the analog controller?
  2. It almost seemed like you were avoiding the powerups. Is that because some of them are negative?
  3. The bat is HUGE (not complaining). Does it ever get smaller like in Super Breakout?
  4. How many levels are planned?
  5. Will a ROM-only version be available?

it plays a lot like super breakout. the reason why i avoided the power ups at time, is because one zaps you and freezes you, you can lose a ball then. one is a smash through the tiles, instead of knocking out one tile at a time, it smashes through a bunch. i designed the game because i love pinball, and i like to watch the ball bounce around, so the smash through takes that away from me. but our beta testers liked it. so i kept it in.

i only go after the free ball one if i run to low on balls, and i am getting close to smashing through to another level. the free points one i pick up a lot.

i think its 17 levels if i remember right. but once you attain all 17, like most atari games, you play on and on:) its available now on the atari 8-bit on a 16k cart, and we hope to have it available sometime this year on the 5200, and we are starting work on it for the 7800. we hope to master that one also.

thanks everyone for the kind words and interest,

lance

www.atarisales.com

• Like 2

And different levels. But its the same basic concept.

Seriously? Just tell your kid that when you serve her Spaghetti with ketchup on it. "Its the same as marinara, just eat it." Lemme know how that goes.

BTW, I love both Super Breakout and Arkanoid and would love to play Arkanoid on the 5200.

• Like 1

So does it take advantage of the analog controller in the 5200 version, or does the paddle move at a single speed?

"Tile Smashers on the 5200 was developed with two styles of joystick control options. These are set by pressing the Star key at the Title Screen. One setting treats the joystick like a 2600 controller where the paddle moves at a set speed no matter how fast you move the joystick. The second setting treats the joystick like a paddle controller where the paddle moves in relation to the joystick's position. The speed at which the joystick is moved is also the speed at which the paddle moves on the screen. This is exactly how the paddle-joystick relationship is in the 5200's Super Breakout.

Therefore the second setting takes full advantage of the 5200's analog nature with really good results.

Statement from Tile Smashers' assistant 5200 developer kamakazi20012.

lance

www.atarisales.com

• Like 3

"Tile Smashers on the 5200 was developed with two styles of joystick control options. These are set by pressing the Star key at the Title Screen. One setting treats the joystick like a 2600 controller where the paddle moves at a set speed no matter how fast you move the joystick. The second setting treats the joystick like a paddle controller where the paddle moves in relation to the joystick's position. The speed at which the joystick is moved is also the speed at which the paddle moves on the screen. This is exactly how the paddle-joystick relationship is in the 5200's Super Breakout.

Therefore the second setting takes full advantage of the 5200's analog nature with really good results.

Statement from Tile Smashers' assistant 5200 developer kamakazi20012.

lance

www.atarisales.com

Same here!!! Put me down for one and also please let me (and us) know when the older projects you worked on like Delta Space Arena and the others will be released for the 5200 too!

.....and also, please update your website, it says they're only for the 8-bit (400/800/XL/XE) computers, we would love to see them on the 5200 soon.