So after working almost all day yesterday, I finally got a sprite to display on screen. The only problem is I don't know how I did it. But he can move around all over the test screen. I had to disable diagonal movement because it slows him down. It's almost 4am as I write this, I just woke up. I woke up at 10pm, but went back to sleep at midnight because I have to be up to go to the post office.
Anyway, the next step is to make a water screen for the Marill to move around in. I'm thinking the scoring will be how long you can last before you die. The minutes and seconds (score) will be on the right side of the screen, like in Kevin Vs. Tomatoes. The health meter will be there too. The fish will ramp up in difficulty every minute or so. And I also have to add in the plant tiles at the bottom of the screen. If you eat one, you'll gain more energy, it will disappear but gradually grow back. Of course I have to disable the eating if the energy level is full. I'm thinking a separate 2-digit % number will be good enough, like in My History Teacher Ate Lemons. Once it gets to 00, the game ends.
This will take a lot of work. I guess the moral of the story here is to think about how much work it takes to create video games, especially homebrew ones, when you play them. Even a "bad" video game must have taken hundreds of hours to code.