IGNORED

Gimmick Controllers? Junk?

Hank Rearden

5 controllers all need work but wondering if it's worth the trouble. Can't even get some to fully plug in. No idea how to use flight stick one. It fires and will sorta move right somehow but seems useless for the most part. Probably would help certain games unknown to me.

The joysticks have varying issues. One will fire but won't move. Another moves but doesn't really fire. They seem flimsy and likely not worth trying to clean up.

I have other projects but hate throwing stuff away.

Anyone familiar with any of these? Junk?

post-51379-0-36220300-1526860093_thumb.jpg

post-51379-0-87834100-1526860114_thumb.jpg

I had the black and red one in the bottom right. It was okay. Suction cups to stick down for arcade/flightstick style play. Nothing special though, certainly not "valuable" if you're fortune hunting.

I remember the top one, it used a crude accelerometer or similar pre-gyro tech to tilt "in air" without levers. Probably never great, almost certainly busted if it doesn't work now. Maybe there's a reason it fell into your lap.

I had the black and red one in the bottom right. It was okay. Suction cups to stick down for arcade/flightstick style play. Nothing special though, certainly not "valuable" if you're fortune hunting.

I remember the top one, it used a crude accelerometer or similar pre-gyro tech to tilt "in air" without levers. Probably never great, almost certainly busted if it doesn't work now. Maybe there's a reason it fell into your lap.

I had the same black and red with the suction cups, seems it was readilly available and popular :-)

I had the first one... a couple, actually, and they worked OK. I just got tired of holding my arm out in front of me in the air and sold them for $3 each a few years ago at a game show. Might be able to get a little more for it online.

There is a 4-way mercury switch inside, if I remember correctly.

I never tried it, but using a pair might be a cool way to play Robotron on the 7800.

I had the black and red Quick Shot on the bottom left. As I recall, the throw was longer than the CX-40 making precise movements difficult and overall just felt cheap. I had some other joysticks also, but put them all aside when I finally spent the money for a Wico with the bat handle.

I had the black and red Quick Shot on the bottom left. As I recall, the throw was longer than the CX-40 making precise movements difficult and overall just felt cheap. I had some other joysticks also, but put them all aside when I finally spent the money for a Wico with the bat handle.

I also have a Wico bat but don't like using it. Too big and heavy to use comfortably for me.

They are easy to take apart. Sometimes they are just dirty and need a good cleaning. Sometimes just a simple repair like the top contact metal piece cracked and just need to get a new top metal contact.

Edited by thetick1

The Quickshot II and II Turbo sold like hot cakes in NZ. I used one on the XL and still have a few MIB that I bought when they were being run out. I loved them. The pads on the PCB were prone to failure. I did like the feel though. Probably worth having a crack at a fix.

The Quickshot in the lower left was my go-to on the NES!!!

I never quite yet comfortable with my left hand controlling player direction on the NES (since it was always the right on the 2600), so this joystick was my mainstay. I beat Mario 1-3 on it, plusmore intense twitch games like Fire Shark.

Only 'complaint' is the built in microswitches were LOUD... The thing clicked whenever you made any move.. and it sounded like a typewriter. I'd wake my sister up whenever I tried playing the NES after hours.

Still, solid joystick. Nothing like it. If you move with your right hand, can't think of a better option. You CAN beat Mario 4, Zelda 2, Metroid and any MegaMan with it.

Only problem is it sounds like a hailstorm.