IGNORED

FPGA ECS Would be Cool

I was going to start with "Wishing for new Intellivision Hardware" as a title, but I decided to change things up a bit. You're welcome. :)

Anyway, the ECS is kind of scarce, large, and not all that useful. The games that use it are awesome but few and far between. The biggest asset is the second AY audio chip, second-biggest is the additional RAM, third-biggest is the additional controller/keyboard input.

I think it would be kind of cool and maybe even useful if there was a simple device, maybe using an FPGA or something else super-low-cost, that emulated the ECS to do the first two things (audio and RAM). I am picturing something the size of a long cartridge that would plug into the Inty on one end, take a cartridge on the other, but not have the additional controller inputs. The unit would just emulate a keyboard, telling games "it's there" but maybe just having a single hardware button that emulates [Enter] to get past title screens or something. Oh, and a button that would cycle through the audio levels to simulate the existing ECS knob.

I wouldn't be concerned with the device being a real ECS for the classic games that need one (Baseball, Mind Strike, etc), let someone buy an ECS if they want that. But a low-cost device that would provide audio and RAM would be great for all of the new games that are coming out. The alpha of IntyBASIC has additional support for ECS music, but if no one has an ECS, it's hard to justify the programmer investment.

What do you think?

Would a device be feasible at all?

Would it be decent at a $50-$75 price point?

I'm not looking to make one, I have no clue how to get hardware done on the Inty, I barely get how to do software. Just thought it would be a nice option.

From a technical standpoint, once work has been done to support the sound chip and RAM, adding support for the 2 controller ports is trivial. Adding 2 physical DB-9 ports should fit on the pass-thru cartridge plastic case.

The parts of the ECS that matter the least are the printer port, tape drive port, and the typically unpopulated expansion slot on the top.

The parts of the ECS that matter the least are the printer port, tape drive port, and the typically unpopulated expansion slot on the top.

Unless I'm missing something on my own ECS, it didn't have an expansion port on top. The Intellivoice did. But I'm not aware of anything useful that interfaces with it.

Unless I'm missing something on my own ECS, it didn't have an expansion port on top. The Intellivoice did. But I'm not aware of anything useful that interfaces with it.

It does, but you'd have to look closely. A 16k memory expansion module was announced and shown in Mattel's 1983 catalog:

post-39531-0-28654700-1527292846.jpg

Edited by mthompson
  • Like 1

It does, but you'd have to look close. A 16k memory expansion manual was announced and shown in Mattel's 1983 catalog:

attachicon.gifECS memory expansion module.jpg

Hmm. Mine is currently boxed up and I'm too lazy to dig it out. Maybe the plastic has a removable piece for it. But I don't see any kind of connector in this picture I have from when I opened it up a few years ago.

There does appear to be a place for a potential connector that would maybe line up with that catalog picture. Where the red wire is near the upper left.

post-32065-0-68936000-1527293174_thumb.jpeg

Edited by nick3092

My point is that something that is cheap that gives the extra music and memory and takes 1/10th the space of that big thing would make it better for new games. I am not sure that adding the complexity (and therefore cost) of the controller ports would be as good, because then you're talking about interfacing "real stuff" as opposed to a chip just emulating a signal.

I see ECS units for $100-$150. I was thinking of something modern for 1/3 to 1/2 that. Not that I can make one, just looking at simple realistic expansion for the next generation of Intellivision games.

Hmm. Mine is currently boxed up and I'm too lazy to dig it out. Maybe the plastic has a removable piece for it. But I don't see any kind of connector in this picture I have from when I opened it up a few years ago.

There does appear to be a place for a potential connector that would maybe line up with that catalog picture. Where the red wire is near the upper left.

Yes, that is where the memory expansion connector would be. The first ones manufactured actually have the connector there and then they stopped including it to save money. They did the same thing with the Intellivoice expansion connector.

My point is that something that is cheap that gives the extra music and memory and takes 1/10th the space of that big thing would make it better for new games. I am not sure that adding the complexity (and therefore cost) of the controller ports would be as good, because then you're talking about interfacing "real stuff" as opposed to a chip just emulating a signal.

I see ECS units for $100-$150. I was thinking of something modern for 1/3 to 1/2 that. Not that I can make one, just looking at simple realistic expansion for the next generation of Intellivision games.

You can run a poll to see if there's any interest at x dollars. My guess is at least two thirds of the people that buy Intellivision homebrews already have an ecs computer adapter. Edited by mr_me

My point is that something that is cheap that gives the extra music and memory and takes 1/10th the space of that big thing would make it better for new games.

Could it get all its power from the Intellivision, like the Intellivoice and System Changer?

Regarding the cost of the ports, I would expect the addition cost to be around $2 or so (especially since only a plastic D-shell shield is needed instead of metal). The ports aren't required for such a project but it seems like a shame to leave them out since they appear to be easy and cheap to add.

Probably the most expensive parts for this project would be the FPGA chip itself and the plastic case (the molds will cost a lot). Some FPGAs cost over $100, but those chips are WAY overpowered for this project. Cheaper chips are available.

For figuring out the expected price, those are the two things to be focused on.

I don't know... Maybe if the device is simple enough (AY emulator and some RAM) and uses modern and power-efficient components, maybe there is enough. The Intellivoice doesn't need a separate power supply, so who knows?

Could it get all its power from the Intellivision, like the Intellivoice and System Changer?