IGNORED

Oily INTV?

Hello. I am in the process of pulling out some of my older systems with the idea of modding, repairing and possibly have one to give to my son. I have to INTV 1s. One works flawlessly but has some cosmetic imperfections. The other looks better, powers on, plays sound, but the screen is black. i had hoped to switch out cases, until I had a chance to diagnose the issue on the broken console The have been in storage in a closet on an outside wall with little to no insulation (Texas). HOT in the summer and close to freezing the winter. Well one of the systems as I am opening the water tight plastic container that was it's storage place until my recent divorce, showing my friend the system. When I handed him one of the controllers, I noticed that cable for one of them was covered in an oily sticky substance that reeked of PVC. I thought that it had from inside the unit and took it apart to determine the source. It was bone dry and the oil was just concentrated on the cable to the point of dripping on the case. I am trying to figure what is happening, the best way to clean it, and prevent it from happening again. Is it just a result of the breaking down of the plastic, rubber, and/or PVC used in making of the cord due to extremes of temperature?

I have recently acquired a console that was in hot storage and the coiled cables for the controllers are also breaking down.

Nothing you can do to repair it or stop further damage.

Need to replace the cables, or replace the entire controller.

The best way to prevent it from happening is to properly store it in a cooler location, and even that is no guarantee.