IGNORED

Games you actually owned (bought/traded/gifted) from BITD?

You covered a trinity of sorts with those three games! Gaiden I've played to death, love it. If you're a huge fan, check out the vinyl OST (or CDs) from the game, and relive it while driving in your car :D

Batman, I've still yet to finish. I'm still trying to find the rom that hacks the colours to a more 89-movie like experience. Little things like that get me that much more into the game.

Bayou Billy, we did finish, but weren't too happy about it. That game was difficult to the point of being unfair. The enemies just keep coming on that final stage...and coming, and coming. I can't remember but we did require a bit of luck to wrap it back in the day. Once we beat it, that was it, never again. We were really impressed that the game had three different types of action, which for a rental was really awesome. Would have been a fun two player co-op game!

These days, I don't go to the internet looking for tips to beat these games. I like to cycle through my collection every few years or so, usually just long enough to forget enough of the game to have it become a novelty again. Works great for me :D But I can't tell you how long it sets me back playing the Mega Man series, lol. That first one is hard, until you figure out the patterns of the final boss. Then it's kinda exhilarating! I have yet to beat the third MM and beyond. I love the series though, big NES history.

Have you reached the Joker in Batman? The Joker fight is by far the hardest part because he's so quick and his gun does a massive three damage whereas everything else only does one. I can usually no-death it up to him and then there's a good chance of a game over.

Bayou Billy had its difficulty increased in North America so that it couldn't be beaten in a weekend rental. The same happened with Ninja Gaiden III (That was an improvement. Ninja Gaiden _should_ be challenging.) The Japanese Mad City looks to be way more forgiving. For example, you actually have a health bar in the driving stages. Maybe they should have used multiple difficulties for the North American release. The default could have been similar to the original Japanese version, but you got a better ending if you beat it on a harder setting. That would have offered replay value for hardcore gamers while not pissing off everybody else.

• Like 1

Cool! Which books, by the way? I picked up a bunch from a (now defunct) cool bookstore, a mix between the original and some of the newer 80s stuff. I had a nice Deities and Demigods (with the Cthulu chapter still included!) but some fool put plastic mac-tack on the covers. Still a fun read! I ended up picking up the 30th anniversary Gary Gygax triple set of PM, DMG and MM a few years ago. The original stuff I gifted to my bro inlaw, who still plays weekly (!) with a group of likeminded nerds. I love those old DnD books, the artwork for me is just the best...takes you back to when you thought this stuff was actually evil :D

Here's what I have that I owned dince BITD:

1st Ed AD&D

Player's Handbook

Monster Manual

Monster Manual II

Field Folio

Legends and Lore

Dragonlance Adventures

Dragonlance Atlas

Forgotten Realms box set (but no box)

Dungeon Master's Design Kit

DM's Screens

2nd Edition AD&D

Player's Handbook (1st print and it shows through years of use. Edges are freyed a bit but spine and pages are intact)

Monstrous Manual

Complete Guide of Gnomes and Halflings

Complete Guide of Elves

Arms and Equipment Guide

Complete Castle Guide

Plus some random Dragon magazines from the late 80's/early 90's.

My collection got bolstered over the years but the above is what I hung onto.