IGNORED

Miner 2049er Cheat Code Quandary

Joey_R

Fellow Gamers,

Problem: Miner 2049er game cheat codes are not being recognized under certain conditions.

I built the “PC Analog Joystick To 5200 Adapter” in accordance with http://www.atarihq.com/5200/5200faq/06_04.html (see pictures of my setup). In general it works very well. But I noticed I am no longer able to use the numerical cheat codes via the keypad when utilizing the Adapter to play Miner. Once the game is started, all of the buttons register during normal game play for other functions. Also, the codes work fine when I plug the CX-52 joysticks directly into the console - but not when passing through the adapter. If anyone has a theory as to why, or can shed some light, please chime in.

The console does register all key touches from the CX-52 when running through the Adapter playing a different game. For example…toggling game options for Keystone Kapers (keys 1 – 0) viewing the screen will display your input.

Note that I did tweak the R132 pot inside the console; in order to allow joystick movement right to influence the character. Prior to that, the character would only move to the left. This type of problem has been well documented by others on this forum; particularly with Miner and the Bounty Bob game. I’m not sure whether this could be related to the problem.

On the bright side, the adapter has breathed new life into the playability of the games and enjoyment of the system! I would recommend it to anyone who has been frustrated by the stock controllers or has simply given up on the 5200. Many of us old-timers did that in the ‘80s. If you’re not so handy, purchase a set of adapters from members like “bohoki”. He was offering adapters at a very reasonable price. I’m quite satisfied using my old self-centering analog PC joysticks that I’ve owned since the ‘90’s.They are much more capable than the irreparable, short-life Wico Command Controller “Jokestick”. If there is a suitable replacement or work-around for those unique Bourns pots, I’d sure like to be informed. I once spoke directly with a Bourns engineer at the factory in Mexico searching for a solution to the failing pots - no such luck! Unfortunately, in the early 80’s gamers considered the Wico’s a godsend and one of the few alternatives to using the stock controllers.

I’ve attached pictures showing my system hook-up. The second picture is a close-up of the controller inputs. Notice that I have cut away some of that pesky plastic case trim that makes it impossible to plug and secure anything other than a long-neck joystick cable into it. If you’re handy, you can accomplish this with a Dremel tool. I also used a Dremel to make the cutouts in the adapter enclosure. The extra ribbon cable between the console and the Adapter is there as a precaution to prevent wear and tear on the console input pins in the event you’re frequently changing out controllers and swapping the Adapter in and out.

post-62127-0-18364300-1528411224_thumb.jpg

post-62127-0-57112600-1528411274_thumb.jpg

post-62127-0-78129700-1528411285_thumb.jpg

• Like 1