IGNORED

SillyPack 2k17 released

JAC!

WePlash does not require VBXE to load. when i tried to run the Sillyventure pack BATCH file the 1st time i a also got the '"Weplash data not found:EF03 E0E0E0E0" message and i suspect that the SIDE CF image was not loaded to proper location, strangely after rebooting my PC and running the batch file again everything worked fine.

if you have SIDE2 cartridge you can burn the .IMG file to a CF cart using WINIMAGE tool, boot the ATARI COMPUTER with SIDE2 in spartados x mode and the demo will play automatically on any Atari XL computer.

if i had a MYIDE2 cart i would probably could make the demo work on that cart as well.

This has given me an idea though. Normally MyIDE 2 is MyDOS & MyBIOS based, but thanks to FJC's SpartaDOS X drivers for MyIDE, 2 you can set up MyIDE 2 to have SpartaDOS X in sram or, like I have, the actual SpartaDOS X cartridge with pass-thru. My point is, I will see if I can get your demo running through MyIDE with SpartaDOS X using FJC's driver.

Edited by Gunstar
  • Like 1

The only example of use of the BRK instruction I saw - assuming it was intentional - assumed that $00 existed at the target location without being initialised.

Reharden uses BRK for parts for the sound replay combined with POKEY timers.

.local zpcode, zpvarsend

irq sta isa+1

lda #0

sta irqen

irqsplcnt

sb2 lda samplebuf+$18 ;this is page start as the buffer is aligned to xxe8

sta sample_register

.ifdef debugtimers

and #$e0

beq debugok

nop ;wrong value - place breakpoint here to notice

debugok

.endif

inc irqsplcnt+1

irqtpt

lda timerpattern+5

sta AUDF1+(timer-1)*2

dec irqtpt+1

bpl irqmorept

lda #timerpatternmax

sta irqtpt+1

irqmorept

lda #timer

sta irqen

isa lda #0

rti

And I found the issue when loading with from DOS another OS than Altirra OS (which I had used for testing).

Altirra OS leaves more free space on the stack and I unintentionally relied on that. Will try to fix that.

Turning a program that loads straight 52k into RAM into something that loads from DOS is a real challenge...

• Like 3

Ah, that explains it. Yes, sure enough loads fine using Altirra OS on the hardware Im using.

Another question! I find turbo loading to the menu with Hias is patch works, but not from the menu. I thought that is just my issue, does anyone else see that?

I should add Im still enjoying the new sillypack very much, they are all really great:)

Ah, that explains it. Yes, sure enough loads fine using Altirra OS on the hardware Im using.

Another question! I find turbo loading to the menu with Hias is patch works, but not from the menu. I thought that is just my issue, does anyone else see that?

I should add Im still enjoying the new sillypack very much, they are all really great:)

Yes I see the same effect with standard XL OS + HISIO patch. No idea why though.

I have reharden working when loaded from MYDOS DUP on real hardware with XL OS.

But not yet from the pack. Must be some timing issue.

• 1 month later...

Update: Thanks to the help from phaeron I managed to isolate the stack overrun that occurs with normal SIO and Atari OS. The donwload has been updated accordingly.

• Like 4

Thanks a lot for investing so much energy into getting it to work!

Well, you can't really release a demo pack where the winning demo doesn't run.

And you promised to be more mercyful next time, too :-).

• Like 3