Looking for hard to find magazine TYPE IN GAME "Chicken Out"

31 replies to this topic

#26 seastalker OFFLINE  

seastalker

Chopper Commander

• Topic Starter
  • 188 posts

Posted Fri Jun 22, 2018 1:23 AM

That is a great idea, and yes it was a basic Snake type clone or Wrap Trap. I am 100% certain of the name "Chicken Out" (I have disks that borrowed some of the code to make multi-file directories boot automatically and can relist the menu by typing RUN"D:CHICKEN.OUT") and can describe it:  It used the blue screen like when you boot an XL, with various colors to represent your character movement. One color was even the basic white like text.  As you move, it made a repeated sound similar to holding down any character key in basic but slightly different pitch.  It changed to a low buzz when you crashed into a wall of the trail left behind by you or your opponent. Three hits and it made a high pitched musical tone to indicate the game round ended.

The game IS listed on Atarimania but with no ROM dump/atr etc.

#27 www.atarimania.com OFFLINE  

www.atarimania.com

Stargunner

• 1,726 posts

Posted Fri Jun 22, 2018 3:11 AM

I doubt Chicken Out was a type-in from one of the big magazines, Google would've found it otherwise. Maybe from an unarchived publication such as the ACE Newsletter?

Are you sure you typed in the program? The reference on Atarimania comes from an old list of pirated games. Author Bruce Adelstein worked on Lost Tomb and some of those cheap General Masters Corporation / ALA Software games so I guess it was most likely a public domain program from 1982 or 1983... or one of those lost budget ALA Software / K-Tek Software / PI Software commercial titles. 

--

Atari Frog

http://www.atarimania.com

#28 Mclaneinc OFFLINE  

Mclaneinc

Quadrunner

• 5,929 posts

Posted Fri Jun 22, 2018 5:29 AM

Yup, totally agree with Atari Frog, most stuff has been lovingly typed in if it wasn't on disk and with emulators like Altirra allowing C&Ping from an OCR'ed source it speeds up the archiving of these type ins. So if it had been one of note I'm sure it would have made the places like Atarimania by now.

I hope it turns up, I'm still trying my avenues to find it and Aaron..

Who knows...

Paul..

#29 _The Doctor__ OFFLINE  

_The Doctor__

Quadrunner

• 5,207 posts

Posted Fri Jun 22, 2018 6:32 AM

some of those users groups made software better than the 'commercial' stuff...   In the beginning type ins and users groups were sometimes the only way people could get software, and was also how so many people learned how to program. The magazines paid for some of these programs, and we paid for them when buying them. Don't forget dues paid by users groups and how many of them bought and sold hardware and software at reduced cost....  This was a big deal at the time.

I did find outhouse for the trs and coco computers :) so we're getting somewhere....     It might be a candidate for a re-port ...   lol

In any event there are a crap ton of Type ins out there that were good and are in magazines like Micro etc... that we don't currently have because they weren't in Atari centric magazines...  it's amazing that this many years later so much could still be done. Chicken Out will turn up. The more we dig in strange places the more we will be rewarded. Don't be .... 'chicken'   :)

Edited by _The Doctor__, Fri Jun 22, 2018 6:38 AM.

#30 seastalker OFFLINE  

seastalker

Chopper Commander

• Topic Starter
  • 188 posts

Posted Fri Jun 22, 2018 10:24 AM

I am mostly certain it was a type in game but not 100%.  The only other way we could have reasonably got hold of the game was it was one of those 'disk-only in a bag'  bargain bin titles or it came bundled with a magazine.  Whatever the format, I went through many web archived places and feel bad it seemed to have disappeared and I once had a copy.  It's not the greatest game but it was a fun one to two-player game memory of mine.

#31 seastalker OFFLINE  

seastalker

Chopper Commander

• Topic Starter
  • 188 posts

Posted Fri Jun 22, 2018 10:32 AM

Atari Frog,

Atarimania has no dump of the game "Age of Adventure" which is 'Return of Heracles' and 'Ali Baba and the 40 Thieves' as a double sided compilation.  I have this title but in .ATX format - Is that helpful?  I'm still learning about some of the lesser used file extensions and yet know even how to convert them.

#32 seastalker OFFLINE  

seastalker

Chopper Commander

• Topic Starter
  • 188 posts

Posted Sun Jun 24, 2018 3:17 PM

So, had a discussion and have updated info:  seems the game was a store bought bargain bin title with no artwork (disk in a bag- probably printed label), but it was fascinating in that it was coded in basic and you could LIST command the code.  It had an AUTORUN code that we copied to make some of our own disks boot at startup with a directory.  Our copy is likely with HOLMES in NZ, or at least its last whereabouts.

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users