IGNORED

Do you call it "Atari 2600" or "Atari VCS"

Flojomojo

2600 or VCS?  

108 members have voted

1. 1. What do you call the popular cartridge system from Atari, 1977

• Please sign in to vote in this poll.

I never understood where the X in PSX really came from

My understanding is the X in PSX is just a shorthand abbreviation for a bunch of letters - similar to how an illiterate person can sign their name with X. You see it a lot in the medical field with Dx for diagnosis, Sx for symptom, Rx for prescription, etc.

That is just people not knowing the branding. Like in Clerks cartoon referring to any Adhesive Strip as a Band-Aid, when all Band-Aid is a brand who sells Adhesive strips. Reminds me of my ex girlfriend who referred to any soda as Coke. She wants a Dr. Pepper, 7Up, Root Beer, or whatever, "Could you hand me the Coke." Coke is a brand of soda or something you snort to get high....a 7Up is neither of those.

People that call all sodas cokes can kindly excuse themselves from my life

• Like 3

I think I've always heard it called the 2600, even though the one we grew up with was the 4-switch woodgrain. Maybe it was already called it by that point since they had the 5200 out on the market, though the box still seems to say VCS. It wasn't until much later that I realized it was originally referred to as the VCS though.

DUMB ANGRY HAT ON!!!!

Ness and Sness... ridiculous. People should be ashamed of themselves and their laziness.

AT-AT, all letters are pronounced separately, or just call them Imperial Walkers instead of sounding like a tool.

AT-ST similarly.

As for NASA and NATO, they don't put the periods between letters in their logos anyway, so if they can't be bothered to do it right, why should anyone else?! The front of the NES says "Nintendo Entertainment System," so if you abbreviate to NES, you're basically 'rolling your own,' and should show some freakin' respect.

DUMB ANGRY HAT OFF!!!

In all seriousness, what does it really matter? Tuh-MAY-tow, Tuh-MAH-tow... :)

I always called my VCS "my Atari". I didn't have a 7800, so I never had any need to differentiate. These days I still call the VCS/2600 "Atari" because I still don't have a 7800 and I have no need to differentiate.

In all seriousness, @-@, people??? Come on!!

• Like 1

In your home, perhaps.

Otherwise...haha...no. :P

Back in the day the generic "Atari" term encompassed ALL television gaming. In fact it was so powerful, it transcended itself to cover computer games on the Apple II and Commodore 64, as well as red LED handhelds and Vectrex.

In my house or not, that's what I'm sticking with. Because that's what we did!

I used to call it 2600 a long time ago but that changed to vcs when I gained intimate knowege of the system. But now that an imposter has decided to hijack the name Vee Cee Ess, I've decided to once again start calling it the 2600 to avoid any confusion or association with those asshats. So 2600 it is, and that's what I voted for! :grin:

I used to call it 2600 a long time ago but that changed to vcs when I got intimate with the system. But now that an imposter has decided to hijack the name Vee Cee Ess, I've decided to once again start calling it the 2600 to avoid any confusion or association with those asshats. So 2600 it is! :grin:

Ew I don't need to hear about your relationship with your system. Keep that to yourself :P

• Like 1

There are three kinds of people in the world: those who say "N-E-S;" those who say "Nintendo;" and those who are wrong.

I just wanted to add to this:

Correct:

Atari

Atari 2600

V.C.S.

Atari V.C.S.

Nintendo

Nintendo Entertainment System

N.E.S.

Super Nintendo

Super N.E.S.

S.N.E.S.

Wrong:

Atari Vics (what? Atari is somehow making Vapor Rubs? See how dumb that sounds)

A.T.A.R.I. (spelling out the letters of a proper noun is just as dumb)

Ness (the protagonist in Earthbound / Mother is not named after the game console)

Super Ness (what? Ness has super powers now? Maybe he joins the Xforce or something)

Sness / Snez (every time I hear "Snezz" with a Z at the end, it makes me want to kick a kitten. And I love kittens; please don't make me do it :sad:)

Atari (in reference to any pre crash system not manufactured by Atari)

Nintendo (in reference to any post crash system not manufactured by Nintendo)

Referring to a gamepad as a joystick and visa versa. Use the term controller if you want to be ambiguous.

Last but not least, this deserves a dishonorable mention:

Atari V.C.S. (in reference to the console currently being crowdfunded on IndieGoGo. That POS doesn't deserve being called Atari)

• Like 1

Back in the day the generic "Atari" term encompassed ALL television gaming. In fact it was so powerful, it transcended itself to cover computer games on the Apple II and Commodore 64, as well as red LED handhelds and Vectrex.

Right...but that was 35 years ago. And the Nintendo put a stop to that only a few years later. ;)

Call videogames "Atari" these days and people will either say "A-what-i?" or try to return you to the nursing home they think you escaped from. :P

Atari Vics (what? Atari is somehow making Vapor Rubs? See how dumb that sounds)

A.T.A.R.I. (spelling out the letters of a proper noun is just as dumb)

I've never heard these before. In fact, keep them under wraps and don't ever speak of them again.

Don't want to give people any more stupid ideas.

Referring to a gamepad as a joystick and visa versa. Use the term controller if you want to be ambiguous.

The one example I can think of where there is arguably some legitimate overlap with that terminology is the Sega SG-1000. The original controllers were joysticks and were changed to pads with the Mark II, but the nomenclature of "J-Stick" stuck.

The DINA system was fundamentally an SG-1000 clone (with Coleco compatibility tacked on), and its Sega-style gamepad controllers are literally labeled "joystick."

• Like 1

Why no vote for Atari? You think the vcs option is low, if Atari had been an option, 2600 would have been that small and vcs would have been nonexistant.

Vcs is just shorthand for video computer system, and NOBODY vocally called it that, sorry.

• Like 1

Why no vote for Atari? You think the vcs option is low, if Atari had been an option, 2600 would have been that small and vcs would have been nonexistant.

Vcs is just shorthand for video computer system, and NOBODY vocally called it that, sorry.

Atari is bigger than the single systems. Yes I know 80s kids (like me) called it just "Atari," but that's not specific enough in my opinion. I liked to call it VCS before the current doucheparade began, I'm not NOBODY, deal with it. :-P

I've never heard these before. In fact, keep them under wraps and don't ever speak of them again.

Don't want to give people any more stupid ideas.

Well I want people to sink in how rediculous it sounds when they use phrases like "Snezz." Atari Vics sounds equally dumb, possibly letting those in the Ness and Snez camp know how idiotic it sounds to say them that way.

you forgot calling cartridges tapes (that still tweaks me, one of my uncles called any game atari tapes, didnt matter what system we were playing "put that atari tape back up where it goes" ugh)

Famicom games were known as cassettes. And they would fit perfectly inside of old tape racks.